Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Destrin

New stretch goal: Male Assassin

Halfbreeds? Maybe breed refers to the "breeders" mentioned on the assassin archetype page. Some of the boys must have escaped and survived! Dun Dun dun..

On a side note I think 70k is a good cost for the work concidering it will not only cover design and animation, but also continued balancing after the game launches.

"...We originally crafted the Fae backstory in such a way as to make the existence of a male counterpart an impossibility. ... we came up with a way to offer the male equivalent of this archetype without breaking our backstory."

Interesting decision. I'm sure that plenty of people will enjoy being able to play the assassin role on a male character. It was one of the most requested addition during the Kickstarter, so I think it's definitely a nice move. And if it doesn't look too much like a male fae, then it's even better imo.  :D

This isn't a bad stretch goal. More choice is a good thing. Creating stretch goals at this stage can't be easy. I'm glad to see ACE resisting the feature-creep temptation.  All they can really do is add flavor and choice to the current game, as far as I can tell.

"...We originally crafted the Fae backstory in such a way as to make the existence of a male counterpart an impossibility. ... we came up with a way to offer the male equivalent of this archetype without breaking our backstory."

Interesting decision. I'm sure that plenty of people will enjoy being able to play the assassin role on a male character. It was one of the most requested addition during the Kickstarter, so I think it's definitely a nice move. And if it doesn't look too much like a male fae, then it's even better imo.  :D

Doesn't make sense, they said in the lore that there were male fae captured for breeding outside of their society... If they are going to have full wings and the same archetype behavior as existing Fae, it's just words...

Doesn't make sense, they said in the lore that there were male fae captured for breeding outside of their society... If they are going to have full wings and the same archetype behavior as existing Fae, it's just words...

They can surely find a way to make it fit with the current lore. I don't understand how it doesn't make sense for you.

"Men do not belong in the Riverlands…. not even the breeders. They are captured, they serve their purpose, and they are killed. Many treat their enemies less kindly, I think."

Edited by courant101

It doesn't make sense because it doesn't specifically state anywhere that Male Fae are extinct, only that the Female Fae in the Riverlands infanticide their male offspring. Doesn't say that there are no other Fae colonies, doesn't say that the breeders are Fae or otherwise, and this is a Campaign world game in production, so there's no significant reason for them to resort to coining halfbreeds for the male Fae except. they just want to. It doesn't make sense to pretend an unpublished fictional story is a limitation to the character identities...

It doesn't make sense because it doesn't specifically state anywhere that Male Fae are extinct, only that the Female Fae in the Riverlands infanticide their male offspring. Doesn't say that there are no other Fae colonies, doesn't say that the breeders are Fae or otherwise, and this is a Campaign world game in production, so there's no significant reason for them to resort to coining halfbreeds for the male Fae except. they just want to. It doesn't make sense to pretend an unpublished fictional story is a limitation to the character identities...

It makes sense to me. Earlier in the development, I think that they were planning to have a few archetypes gender locked, among them the Stoneborn and Fae. It may be only because of development cost or because of a combination of reasons, and they probably created the lore around this limitation. If they say that there can't be male fae, because of the lore, then even if it's not specifically mentioned in the fae backstory, it still remains incompatible with how they originally conceived the story of Crowfall.

They could always change the backstory and the lore, I agree with you on this, but they already presented it and explained to us that we wouldn't see a male version of the fae due to the narrative that mentions the extermination of the males.

They could always change the backstory and the lore, I agree with you on this, but they already presented it and explained to us that we wouldn't see a male version of the fae due to the narrative that mentions the extermination of the males.

Well, fans demanded male assassins, and here they are. The team is open to make changes to satisfy players. Now let's hit that stretch goal and see what the lore is behind halfbreed assassins (and why are they called halfbreeds, not fae).

Edited by ravenheart87

Honestly I am very pro new race stretch goals. This adds more chance to perk new players interest in playing a race they might not have had a chance to in other mmo's. That said I would really like to see a new stretch goal with a 200k dollar amount to hire another graphics design programmer with a description that he will be working on visual fidelity + several new races.

Edited by NoobByDesign

I remember, I was observing for those discussions, they originally planned all monster races to be gender locked to reduce cost, but they were talking about male Fae even then.

They only said Dwarves would never have females because their species is specifically male only by design. This has nothing to do with Fae, Faes story specifically references killing male offspring confirming their dual gender, it does not say they are extinct...

Edited by bahamutkaiser

This has nothing to do with Fae, Faes story specifically references killing male offspring confirming their dual gender, it does not say they are extinct...

Yeah, it's pretty hard to breed without males. Unless they are interfertile with humans or some other races, but that would create halfbreeds. Wait a minute...

I decided to use the background of a female mage in a certain MMORPG.

I became sick of meeting players which started a conversation assuming I'm a girl.

Apparently a lot of person in my country did not understand the difference between a social network and a role playing game (in truth I found also a "mmorpg" in which having character of both sexes was not allowed. :-\ )

Possibly I was just unfortunate.

However I'm discouraged to play female characters and I'm all for having both sex for each archetype.

Stretch goal approved. :D

Yeah, it's pretty hard to breed without males. Unless they are interfertile with humans or some other races, but that would create halfbreeds. Wait a minute...

It's pretty hard to disorient the opportunity to have pure Fae and the lack of appreciation for half breeds with an inability to write a fiction in any way whatsoever, but ppl misunderstand the darnedest things :-/