Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

How big will it get?

I think CF is going to appeal to specific people so its not going to be this massive MMO.  However, there are still a large population CF will appeal to but it will not be the next WoW.  Which is fine.  They just need to create the game they envisioned and sold us on during the KS the minute the next best PvP game will be released.  With good pvp players will come.

I suspect their big plan is something along the lines of "make a pretty awesome game" rather than a series of gimmicks.

This is really what I hope happens.

I want something that people will keep people engaged, playing, challenged and having fun for years to come. I want something I can really sink my teeth into and get comfy in. I don't want to just get my feet wet, I want to drown in this game. :D

Well the issue i have with "make a pretty awesome game "- which is the best possible idea btw - is that it's never as simple as "make a pretty awesome game". Making a good game is a combination of a lot of factors and to have those things in your game you need to be able to pay for them. As with everything else in the universe, people will get bored and move on to other games. Some will make their way back and i'm sure that there are formulas and theories for these kinds of things but the game needs things that will keep people interested. It's a fantastic premise, sandbox pvp is a very cool idea and one that hasn't really been meshed well with rpg elements in recent memory. Those I've-done-this-before zombie titles - while with a similar premise - (I'm looking at you H1Z1) are survival based and rpg mechanics would ruin the nature of their game. What I am interested in is how long will the average player take before/if they move on to another game and what factors will limit their progress or stop them from playing the game altogether and what ACE does about it. They could do nothing which is totally fine that's just how the game is and from what I've seen that's ACE's take on most things regarding CF. They could make minor changes and make the game more accessible but I can see that would incite major backlash from the current community. They could make major changes and muck the game up with more problems than it needs. Really it is a matter of how much money ACE needs to do the things they want. Even major companies do this from time to time i.e. Disney will make a new Avengers movie so that they can fund developments to their theme parks and possibly fund creation of new IPs to make new movies with. It's a method of covering your butt that can from time to time be hazardous to the overall design idea.

TL;DR I am less interested with what will change as to how ACE goes about changing or adding to the game and who they will choose to market their game to in the future.

Addendum, If this is a throne war simulator...where is the throne?

Edited by Shunejii

TL;DR I am less interested with what will change as to how ACE goes about changing or adding to the game and who they will choose to market their game to in the future.

I totally agree with you on this point.

Right now CF seems like a bipolar aunt.

It shifts between Play2Crush and Play2Cuddle every month, and it does not seem to have found a place where it fits in.

Edited by zinnie

I have a pretty big concern they are only really appealing to a niche market, the PvP crowd. Couple that with an arguably repetitive game (pretty much all PvP games get repetitive at some point), and I think there is a problem. 

A true MMO is a bit like highschool, where you have all of the different cliques interacting and giving the world depth and flavour. In UO you had faction PvPers, PKers, roleplayers, trammies, animal tamer bank sitters, dedicated crafters / artisans (Europa people probably still remember Lord Ulysses shop).

Thats what made the game memorable. I fear CF is going down the route Darkfall went, only implementing PvP mechanics to the neglect of everything else. The customisable kingdom stuff looks interesting, but is is all basically instanced and fragmented. 

Edited by Gust

*snip* Couple that with an arguably repetitive game (pretty much all PvP games get repetitive at some point), and I think there is a problem. *snip*

I really think this can be solved with the campaigns being winnable.  It will depend on them hitting the sweet spot of course.  You want them long enough to feel like an investment and not something you "grind out" but short enough you don't get bored with them.

If they follow through on their vision they will easily sell 1million+ copies the first year....

I actually predict closer to 2-3 million....

I don't think people realize just how many gamers there are out there these days, and crowfall is not forcefully subscription based...

Tons of people out there just dying for a well thought out and well designed game. 

Crowfall will pull people from lots of different genres...

Skeggold, Skalmold, Skildir ro Klofnir

This is really what I hope happens.

I want something that people will keep people engaged, playing, challenged and having fun for years to come. I want something I can really sink my teeth into and get comfy in. I don't want to just get my feet wet, I want to drown in this game. :D

That is what EK honey pots are for coupled with all the less sandbox PvP modes, to give the masses something to play.  Just need enough diversity to keep hard corp griefers and the sockers happy.

If they follow through on their vision they will easily sell 1million+ copies the first year....

I actually predict closer to 2-3 million....

I don't think people realize just how many gamers there are out there these days, and crowfall is not forcefully subscription based...

Tons of people out there just dying for a well thought out and well designed game. 

Crowfall will pull people from lots of different genres...

I don't think they will reach those numbers without advertising. But what will croefall advertise that makes it different than any other game? Are we gonna get the clichéd flyby where we see people fighting over something that only has relevance to the people that are already playing the game? I would say the EK is the solution to that problem but that isn't the focus of the game. Crowfall is about fighting other players plain and simple. So is league of legends so was forge. All different games with different ways of portraying the same thing. But the things that set them apart are way different.

League of legends has monthly updates where they introduce new characters and their formula is easy to modify. They have separate styles of play that they can out slight variations on but their game balance is dictated by a system of give and take and they can edit how that formula affects different characters to make it more "fair". Now this isn't perfect by any means, there are good characters and not so good characters. Or rather characters that make a bigger return on your investment for playing them.

Forge sucked for a lot of different reasons. Mainly that the game didn't introduce new archetypes to play as and the objective modes got stale fast.

Even call of duty with its multitude of games modes still has over half of its player base playing tdm. They do that because its simple, mindless and easy to understand but that is what makes cod and league so popular. They appeal to people who don't spend hours and hours playing the game and jump on from time to time to wreck face.

Now these games don't have hardcore RPG elements like crowfall does. They don't require the same investment of time but are continuously updated in a way that doesn't affect the basic gameplay.

I don't think crowfall is capable of this. There doesn't seem to be a way to make hardcore PvP mixed with RPG elements appeal to everyone. Now they could make a mode where characters do not level up or gain new skills and that would appeal to the carebears and some of the hardcore audience e but it removes the RPG elements and basically makes the game a moba and takes away from the originality of crowfall.

Basically my point here is that the structure of crowfall seems to be in flux right now. They can go one way or the other but both ways will compromise the idea that they currently have.

Making the game simple waters down its hardcore roots.

Making the game unforviging makes it unpopular with the carebear masses.

You can also split the playerbase to make the game popular for everyone but then who really gets to sit on the throne in the throne war?