Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Pann

Combat Milestone 1: The path to playtesting - Official discussion thread

I noticed all fighting actions interrupt your movements, but some action should be possible to be proceeded during running?

Like normal attack, constantly poking the front while running or walking? So then the actions will looks way smoother.

You are correct attacks interrupt movement, otherwise you have lots of foot sliding animations and circle strafing in combat  which we didn't want. This is pretty much the behaviour you see in any tab target/split bodied animation MMO, and we didn't want to go that direction.

The only one who has any "cast while moving animations" is the Legionnaire support powers.

Thomas Blair
ArtCraft Entertainment, Inc.
Follow us on Twitter 
@CrowfallGame | Like us on Facebook

Later on if you don't like who is looting a corpse you can just push them off or kill them.  It's 2015...

I hope real consideration is given to this suggestion.  Reinventing the idea of an inventory system is not practical (or wise).  However, interrupting looting with an attack seems extremely appropriate.

Nazdar

Proud member of The Hunger

Putting a tiny curse on the items would be such fun

I think that is pretty oldschool too..I remember some games where you could equip cursed items which are not removable and have a passive debuff on you..If I remember correctly you had to visit a cleric to cleanse the piece of equipment...

Edited by Tipsy

You are correct attacks interrupt movement, otherwise you have lots of foot sliding animations and circle strafing in combat  which we didn't want. This is pretty much the behaviour you see in any tab target/split bodied animation MMO, and we didn't want to go that direction.

The only one who has any "cast while moving animations" is the Legionnaire support powers.

This was important confirmation, thanks. Now who is going to be the first to act like it's the end of the world? :)

I just want to be able to kill the person looting my corpse before me.

Like you can possess their body and controle their movement for a few secs after you die https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nN5lIEcbXpM

Or haunt the place as a ghost in a last attempt to push them off that cliff you didn't manage to push em off while alive  :lol:

Edited by Tipsy

I have to admit this makes me pretty sad. I think this is the first major disappointment I've had since I started following this game and decided to support it. Animation interrupting movement REALLY sucks as a melee, and I pretty much always play tanks or melee dps in MMOs. So this is pretty sad for me.

How does a melee ever hope to fight against ranged classes like this? You won't ever get a single attack chain off before your target just runs out of range. Sure you can CC someone, but relying on CC with the resolve bar the way it is just to get a single attack chain off seems ridiculous. Melee already have to deal with all the snares/slows everyone throws at them, but the idea is you can eventually get to your target and do some serious damage. I don't see how you can ever hope to do "serious damage" to anything even if you finally get to them if you are immediately rooted to the ground just by the sole act of attacking.

Most melee classes the "animation" of an attack is largely what they do with their upper body. Legs play into it a little, but why can't you split the animation to allow you to still move while attacking? Heck I would even be okay with "sliding/gliding" if that's the only possible way to allow movement while attacking.

I really hope you can give this implementation some more thought please.

This is an interesting avenue to take the game. It ends up being a lot more like Rock'em Sock'em Robots with everyone standing static when fighting. I would recommend having more combat attacks available when moving especially the melee. I can understand why you wouldn't want a 6 limbed monstrosity like the Crusader to keep running around while attacking. That is a ton of moving parts, but I think the combat would be more fun if movement with attacking was more integrated, even if it isn't universal.

One thing I noticed is that it appeared that only enemies were blocked by the Crusader in the door. The Confessor ran beside in a spot that looked like the enemy Confessor could not. Was this expected that it would only impact enemies or are all of the models going to block each other?

Edited by Spawl

The Legionnaire looks much more visually appealing in this video, probably has to do with the contrast it has with the environment's graybox artstyle.  Once the character's feet interact with the slope of the ground, everything is going to look Per - fect.

I can't wait to see the game with ACTUAL animations.  The magic was almost there, only barely stopped by the stiffness of the characters.  Combat movement looks really good. The fireball projectiles looked awkward, I guess they felt disconnected from the Confessor character when being launched.

I'm impressed.  Thanks for sharing the video.

How Can Mounts Add to the Crowfall Experience?  Caravans, Hunting Boars, and more.

How Complex can Mining be in Crowfall?  Mining difficulty, fatigue, infrastructure.

Another excellent update.

When testers log-in and join a Hunger Dome game, do we pick the archetype, or is the archetype assigned to us? I suspect the latter, so that every team of 3 has one of each. Just looking for confirmation.

LW_sig_concept3_zps7zqmgbno.jpg

http://crowfall.shivtr.com/  The Lantern Watch - A Crowfall-first guild. Welcome Home.

Another excellent update.

When testers log-in and join a Hunger Dome game, do we pick the archetype, or is the archetype assigned to us? I suspect the latter, so that every team of 3 has one of each. Just looking for confirmation.

No, you can create up to 6 characters.

ZCcquVD.png

THE most active European Crowfall community. Join us now!

I have to admit this makes me pretty sad. I think this is the first major disappointment I've had since I started following this game and decided to support it. Animation interrupting movement REALLY sucks as a melee, and I pretty much always play tanks or melee dps in MMOs. So this is pretty sad for me.

How does a melee ever hope to fight against ranged classes like this? You won't ever get a single attack chain off before your target just runs out of range. Sure you can CC someone, but relying on CC with the resolve bar the way it is just to get a single attack chain off seems ridiculous. Melee already have to deal with all the snares/slows everyone throws at them, but the idea is you can eventually get to your target and do some serious damage. I don't see how you can ever hope to do "serious damage" to anything even if you finally get to them if you are immediately rooted to the ground just by the sole act of attacking.

Most melee classes the "animation" of an attack is largely what they do with their upper body. Legs play into it a little, but why can't you split the animation to allow you to still move while attacking? Heck I would even be okay with "sliding/gliding" if that's the only possible way to allow movement while attacking.

I really hope you can give this implementation some more thought please.

Chain Pulls, Movement Snares, Stuns, Knockdowns, Sprints are all ways to catch a Confessor right now in the Hunger Dome. We will be adding more things like Lunges in the future. I've yet to see any successful "melee kiting" happening since a Confessor needs to stop, aim, and shoot (taking the combat speed hit), turn and run again. At best, all they can do is kite to avoid damage.

As for Split Body animations we purposely went away from that style of combat post Kickstarter for a variety of reasons (sliding, orbiting, looks terrible). Now that we have built it and played it not only does it reaffirm the previous reasons, but has some new reasons as well, mainly, Tactical depth. You recognize a big attack animation or fireball incoming and have time to respond with a block or get out of the way. (You don't see that very often in a rotational based combat, it's mainly about managing cooldowns)

Thomas Blair
ArtCraft Entertainment, Inc.
Follow us on Twitter 
@CrowfallGame | Like us on Facebook

Chain Pulls, Movement Snares, Stuns, Knockdowns, Sprints are all ways to catch a Confessor right now in the Hunger Dome. We will be adding more things like Lunges in the future. I've yet to see any successful "melee kiting" happening since a Confessor needs to stop, aim, and shoot (taking the combat speed hit), turn and run again. At best, all they can do is kite to avoid damage.

As for Split Body animations we purposely went away from that style of combat post Kickstarter for a variety of reasons (sliding, orbiting, looks terrible). Now that we have built it and played it not only does it reaffirm the previous reasons, but has some new reasons as well, mainly, Tactical depth. You recognize a big attack animation or fireball incoming and have time to respond with a block or get out of the way. (You don't see that very often in a rotational based combat, it's mainly about managing cooldowns)

NO. This is a way to catch a target... it does nothing to stop them from running away while you stand there and swing like a moron. It's already happening in this video when tully tries to attack and the confessor runs away. It's always sucked in every game that has ever done this.

Allow a little bit of movement on your R click like in SMITE. Other wise it will be Run, Attack, Run, Attack, Run, Attack.... its TERRIBLE.

MOkvLlm.png