Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dondagora

Inventory and Items: Drag&Drop?

So a discussion popped up and I thought I'd make a topic for it:

Should the game have drag &  drop mechanics where, when looting, you click items in a container and drag them into your inventory, thus meaning there will be a very human factor in looting along with various other positives in regards to PvP and rewards, or should it be click-grabbing and a "Take all" button [tell me if there's a name for this] which allows convenient and quick looting?

Personally I believe drag and drop, or some variation, is the best way to go for Crowfall since convenience isn't really the point of PvP since convenience is in the eye of the beholder. "Take all" can be convenient for the looter, but inconvenient for the third party ranged player who was competing for the kill. It also feels more real in regards to tactics.

Drag and Drop just seems so antiquated and clunky to me.  But there also shouldn't be auto-instant loot all either. Best way I see is, hit keybind "F" for example as seen in the video today to interact with the container (body or chest) you see a small window with the contents and you have to click on each individual item you want to grab it and it goes in your inventory. No take all button, jut double click on the item and its yours. With multiple people accessing the container at the same time you still have to be fast and to get what you want.

Edited by pang

I think it should be click looting without a take all.... but drag and drop is fine too... it's just kinda tedious and outdated and doesn't really add any value to the game. 

Skeggold, Skalmold, Skildir ro Klofnir

Take all button - no. It completely takes away the time you are out of combat focusing on looting rather than defending. So my point of view here is to have a mechanism which at least takes you out of the combat for a few seconds if not minutes. 

Drag and Drop - I'm not really getting along with this one either. 

I would go for a more complex version if it is possible to implement. 

Say Player A and Player B kill Player C and loot his corpse both player A and B get a inventory window. However the first few seconds they loot the corpse they only see obvious items like armor, etc. However the longer they are looting the corpse the "hidden" items appear like idk Gemstones or gold or other things like summoning things or w.e. 

Basically saying the longer you loot someones corpse the better the equipment you can take away from them making it more appealing to stay longer out of combat but creating a more risky situation for you. 

If you get attacked you get the normal obvious items selection or w.e. 

To be honest I'd like to have something innovative and not something which is tech from the last century. 

Edited by Thyr

You get the wolves...lots of wolves...and sheep that wear armor and have developed an appetite for blood soaked grass - dubanka

Even insects smell good when roasted - a random confessor

Maybe a one-click interface per item, but with a cool-down (1-2 seconds?) per action.  That would avoid clickfests and autoloot macros while retaining priority combat looting.  ONLY TAKE THE GOOD STUFF!

Edited by Agravenn
Deleted quote of a removed posting.

rSHxVEY.gif

GUI inconvenience should never be a deliberate mechanic. If you want to introduce delay or skill into a mechanic do that, but not by making the player struggle with the interface per se.

I made a pinata joke in the other thread but now that I think about it it's not actually a bad idea. You get rid of the 'loot all' issue because the loot isn't all in the same place: if you want the helm that dropped you have to go to where the helm scattered to. But an interruptible delay on picking that helmet up and you have the bones of a decent looting system without revisiting 1995 game design.

Official "Bad Person" of Crowfall

"I think 1/3rd of my postcount is telling people that we aren't turning into a PvE / casual / broad audience game." -

Tully

Why waste the players time with dragging and dropping items in and out of a players inventory? There isn't a need for wasting the players time moving items from one to the other. Double click to put into inventory or right click move toe inventory and if a player wants to loot everything have a loot all button.

Edited by Nex

Why waste the players time with dragging and dropping items in and out of a players inventory? There isn't a need for wasting the players time moving items from one to the other. Double click to put into inventory or right click move toe inventory and if a player wants to loot everything have a loot all button.

I learned from some cheap mobile version of minecraft that drag and drops can lead to some annoying mistakes LOL

Forum_Signature.png

Chalcitis - A Treasure Hunting Guild, visit Forum Post

Now that we know that multiple players will be able to access the same corpse (which was not functional in the test we were shown) it's a bit easier to weigh the pros and cons of some of the different ideas. Here are some thoughts off the top of my head:

Drag and Drop items from corpse to bag

Pros:

• Simulates the motion of picking an item up and putting it into your bag which can feel satisfying
  • Adds risk via added time to drag the item over to the bag
  • Adds risk via time to discover lack of space to place the item

Cons:

• It's an uncommon mechanic in today's mmos and may be perceived as outdated and/or tedious.

My verdict: I have no issues with this looting method except that some dead players will have very full bags and corpse looting will be a big "click, drag, click, drag, click, drag, again and again and again". But then again, clicking and dragging is a small price to play to get phat loot, right?

Click the item, it appears in your bag

Pros:

• It's familiar to most MMO players
  • It requires some time to click each item, which adds risk.
  • It's simple.

Cons:

• Having to click each looted item may be percieved as tedious when many games have a "loot all" button.
  • It could promote mindless speed-clicking when looting, the whole "Just get all the stuff now and run, we'll figure out what we got later" which isn't very difficult or strategic.

My verdict: This is my favorite option. My concern is when three of us jump in to loot a corpse, I open the bag and then watch every item just vanish in a clicking barrage. That being said, some players will have very full bags which makes this a much better choice than having to drag so many things over.

Loot all button:

Pros:

• It's the fastest and easiest method.

Cons:

• Removes all risk or strategy in looting.
  • Causes bags to be filled with unwanted items.

My verdict: No. One click looting an entire corpse just removes too much risk.

Edited by arawulf

Drag and Drop just seems so antiquated and clunky to me.  But there also shouldn't be auto-instant loot all either. Best way I see is, hit keybind "F" for example as seen in the video today to interact with the container (body or chest) you see a small window with the contents and you have to click on each individual item you want to grab it and it goes in your inventory. No take all button, jut double click on the item and its yours. With multiple people accessing the container at the same time you still have to be fast and to get what you want.

While I would rather have drag and drop method over the alternatives, I would also be happy with your proposal as well compared to some of the other options such as loot all.

Edited by noobzilla_youtube

How so? I'll loot it all now and figure out what to keep or to destroy once I get back to a fort or a safe spot.

That's exactly what shouldn't happen. If you don't have time to decide what to take and what to leave because enemies are approaching, you should be confronted with meaningful choices rather than just being able to grab everything with no downside.

"I think 1/3rd of my postcount is telling people that we aren't turning into a PvE / casual / broad audience game." -

Tully

After some considerable thought I'll have to agree with Jihan.

Players should not be able to auto-loot everything in 1 second and then decide later what to throw away.

Looting should have a risk to it. And making looting drag&drop could make for some interesting gameplay where I let a corpse with loot lay on the ground, and gank the ones that come to loot it.

But if it only takes less than 2 seconds to right click everything into inventory. I don't see much of a difference. Nex can still loot everything it just takes maybe a second longer. 

Drag and drop in my opinion is tedious as a player playing a game.

But drag and drop makes sense in the concept of this game where danger is always stalking you. 

So I'm on the fence with this.

Edited by NocturnalDemise

OS_Sig3.png

That's exactly what shouldn't happen. If you don't have time to decide what to take and what to leave because enemies are approaching, you should be confronted with meaningful choices rather than just being able to grab everything with no downside.

Once you get back to a safe spot you still are confronted with that same meaningful choice by having to pick what to keep and what to destroy/drop, so there is still the downside of picking what to save/destroy. Plus if you loot it all now and take it back you can save the extra for later or for someone else in your guild/friends.

Choosing what to keep when you're safely encamped inside your stronghold walls is an entirely different and much less exciting proposition from deciding which items and how many you can afford to take while enemy hordes are bearing down on you in an open field.

Tully