Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
seventhbeacon

No Man's Sky

I'm excited at the prospect of Crowfall offering something completely new on the MMO landscape, but there's another game that threatens to potentially eat up all of my free time, and that game is No Man's Sky.

Only incidentally multiplayer (more like a lobby game?), it does something I dared not even dream possible.  Is anyone else here excited about the prospect of a deep exploration game?

"Darken the moon and conceal the stars; our Light will never be extinguished." - The Tome of the First Flame

LW_sig_concept_7b_lighter_zpsu0zpsinn.jp

The Lantern Watch - A Crowfall-first guild. Welcome Home. Join us @ http://crowfall.shivtr.com

I'm excited at the prospect of Crowfall offering something completely new on the MMO landscape, but there's another game that threatens to potentially eat up all of my free time, and that game is No Man's Sky.

Only incidentally multiplayer (more like a lobby game?), it does something I dared not even dream possible.  Is anyone else here excited about the prospect of a deep exploration game?

They've announced Multiplayer?! Since when? I thought it was only single-player, can you link it?

They've announced Multiplayer?! Since when? I thought it was only single-player, can you link it?

"One component of No Man's Sky is a "traditional" multiplayer mode, Murray told us, though he's keeping tight-lipped about what this will entail. "There is this thing, which I'm not going to talk about now; that is a plan for multiplayer, and for people to have a more traditional multiplayer experience within the game. That's something that we'll deal with further down the line, that is exciting. But that is not what's core to the game right now. We have a laser-sharp focus on what we're going to ship with, basically."

Though No Man's Sky will have some form of multiplayer eventually, it's not a game about forming a clan or allegiances. Murray did admit that the game will have "some MMO-esque mechanics" as it relates to meeting other people in the game's vast world, but your overall goal will be to travel to the center of the universe. Once you do so, "something happens" that is "worthwhile seeking out," Murray teased."

I'm guessing they'll have a system where it connects players into hidden lobbies, like on some playstation games where you can just meet up with someone.

The games concept is very interesting, I will be following its progression.

"Camouflage is the color of fear..  I have no need to hide from my foes.. I have no fear of death.  My colors I wear openly, they proclaim louder than any words, "I am proud to live, I am proud to die."

"One component of No Man's Sky is a "traditional" multiplayer mode, Murray told us, though he's keeping tight-lipped about what this will entail. "There is this thing, which I'm not going to talk about now; that is a plan for multiplayer, and for people to have a more traditional multiplayer experience within the game. That's something that we'll deal with further down the line, that is exciting. But that is not what's core to the game right now. We have a laser-sharp focus on what we're going to ship with, basically."

Though No Man's Sky will have some form of multiplayer eventually, it's not a game about forming a clan or allegiances. Murray did admit that the game will have "some MMO-esque mechanics" as it relates to meeting other people in the game's vast world, but your overall goal will be to travel to the center of the universe. Once you do so, "something happens" that is "worthwhile seeking out," Murray teased."

I'm guessing they'll have a system where it connects players into hidden lobbies, like on some playstation games where you can just meet up with someone.

This.

Multiplayer is an integral part of the game. But they did say you could go hours without seeing another player.

Days, weeks, months, even.  All depends on what you do.  Even forever, if you go off doing your own thing instead of following the game's thru line (it has a plot, but you can ignore said plot forever if you want).

Nehemia's entry is spot on.  They also said it would be very hard to find your friends on the game, and that there would be no obvious signs they weren't just an NPC.  He said even if you got to the same planet, planets are BIG and you still may not find each other.  So grouping would be an insane challenge.  I'll work more like Journey's Multiplayer did, where someone shows up and you don't necessarily know that they're a real player.

Tons of content here: http://www.gameinformer.com/p/nomanssky.aspx

Im watching it, but this game has a lot of hype and people seem to be ignoring that it might be insanely boring...

fly fly fly

see stuff

fly fly fly fly

see more stuff

fly fly

There would be aggressive pirates as well as species, so combat will be an element of the game, though I'm not sure how much.

"Darken the moon and conceal the stars; our Light will never be extinguished." - The Tome of the First Flame

LW_sig_concept_7b_lighter_zpsu0zpsinn.jp

The Lantern Watch - A Crowfall-first guild. Welcome Home. Join us @ http://crowfall.shivtr.com