Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Other Crafting Models

Sommazzatore

Just making a thread for everyone to tlak about the pros/cons of other Crafting models. Personally I'd love to see a combination of ESO and GW2.  

In ESO I liked the simple, go down the list and select the trait, enchantment, style, and level type of thing. I also like the fact that you can just go out and collect materials relatively mindlessly instead of them being random drops from specific zones. Lastly, I have to compliment the research system. I enjoyed having to wait for researching to end (maybe not the month long items) but it made you want to gather those research items as fast as possible and I enjoyed that.

In Guild Wars, my favorite aspect is the Legendary item crafting. It takes close to months of time to get your first Legendary weapon, and a lot of time getting every subsequent one. Its challenging and rewarding earning these items and its a good goal to be working towards at all times, directly or indirectly.

Cons of Guild wars 2 is that its not very rewarding unless you are making Ascended gear or Legendary, and that the crafting menu is really congested. 

ESOs cons include no legendary items (pre se) and it didn't take that long to complete the crafting levels, making it possible for almost everyone to be maximum level crafters (minus the research time).

Elder Scrolls Online - Templar/Nightblade Mains      Guild Wars 2 - Necromancer/Thief Mains    http://www.twitch.tv/sommazzatore

Just making a thread for everyone to tlak about the pros/cons of other Crafting models. Personally I'd love to see a combination of ESO and GW2.  

In ESO I liked the simple, go down the list and select the trait, enchantment, style, and level type of thing. I also like the fact that you can just go out and collect materials relatively mindlessly instead of them being random drops from specific zones. Lastly, I have to compliment the research system. I enjoyed having to wait for researching to end (maybe not the month long items) but it made you want to gather those research items as fast as possible and I enjoyed that.

In Guild Wars, my favorite aspect is the Legendary item crafting. It takes close to months of time to get your first Legendary weapon, and a lot of time getting every subsequent one. Its challenging and rewarding earning these items and its a good goal to be working towards at all times, directly or indirectly.

Cons of Guild wars 2 is that its not very rewarding unless you are making Ascended gear or Legendary, and that the crafting menu is really congested. 

ESOs cons include no legendary items (pre se) and it didn't take that long to complete the crafting levels, making it possible for almost everyone to be maximum level crafters (minus the research time).

I have no experience with the ESO crafting system.

However, crafting legendaries in GW2 is for the most part great. One thing I really don't like about it is the fact that precursors are completely random. However I don't think they will have anything that difficult to craft in this game. Losing a legendary after being killed in GW2 would be absolutely devastating and nobody would craft them.

I remember hearing something about the quality of material increases the quality of the item crafted. So if you gather really high quality metal and have a skilled craftsman make a sword out of it, it's going to be a damn good sword. But if you grab whatever metal and try to make a sword yourself if you're not a good weaponsmith, it's going to be trash. It's probably just going to be a simple but effective crafting system that makes sense, while being highly influenced by SWG's system.

However, crafting legendaries in GW2 is for the most part great. One thing I really don't like about it is the fact that precursors are completely random. However I don't think they will have anything that difficult to craft in this game. Losing a legendary after being killed in GW2 would be absolutely devastating and nobody would craft them.

I remember hearing something about the quality of material increases the quality of the item crafted. So if you gather really high quality metal and have a skilled craftsman make a sword out of it, it's going to be a damn good sword. But if you grab whatever metal and try to make a sword yourself if you're not a good weaponsmith, it's going to be trash. It's probably just going to be a simple but effective crafting system that makes sense, while being highly influenced by SWG's system.

I agree that I didn't like how random it was. I also agree that people won't be making legendaries if you run the risk of losing them, but I want to say that I was reading that there will be campaigns here where you won't lose items on death. I might be wrong.

Elder Scrolls Online - Templar/Nightblade Mains      Guild Wars 2 - Necromancer/Thief Mains    http://www.twitch.tv/sommazzatore

Ideally it should be a system that is easy to get into and hard as hell to master.

Another very important thing for me is to minimize the rng in crafting. Randomness has no place in crafting and has, I bet, put off a score of would be crafters through the years in most other games. Just give me a huge range of diffrent resources that has their own range of set properies and make it so that the items I make depends on the stuff I make it with. That will make it so I have total controll of what I am crafting.

From what I've read and seen so far of the crafting in CF it's the way the devs are designing the craftingsystems, so this far I feel very optimistic. 

-: Crows before Hoes, Bros :-

Ideally it should be a system that is easy to get into and hard as hell to master.

Another very important thing for me is to minimize the rng in crafting.

Yeah it should be a major thing to have risen to the pinnacle of crafting.  If crafting is going to a major competent to the game then it has to be hard to be one of the crafters people wait in line to order stuff from!

And while I do not mind a little luck play in crafting, lets now have some crazy "lets see what happens now" poorly made socks like a few other games have had.

I want to say that I was reading that there will be campaigns here where you won't lose items on death. I might be wrong.

Well that doesn't sound like much fun at all!

In all seriousness, the ESO crafting system hit a lot of good points. I loved how you had to learn and study the craft, and improve items. I just wish they made the writs more meaningful to distinguish good crafters from mediocre ones, which is something that I think CF is already approaching.

9e58b2ae2f9ac9f2904b5d4c33b609bb92d1a174

"Sharp alone, deadly together."

• 1 month later...

I really loved the SWG crafting system. I'm hoping this system will be much like that. With Richard G. helping flesh out the system, I think we can expect something influenced by SWG (At the very least).

Cp0geLN.png

A division of Gorath Industries, LLC

This a detailed breakdown of the SWG crafting system.(for those who don't know) It's a pretty basic video, but you'll get the idea. You can see just how complex the system really is. It's really badass. If I had to combine 2 systems, I'd go with SWG and EVE.

Edited by Gorath

Cp0geLN.png

Personally I'd love to see a combination of ESO and GW2.  

It takes close to months of time to get your first Legendary weapon, and a lot of time getting every subsequent one.

Mentioning ESO or GW2 in a sentence about ideal crafting systems is heresy. Some games call it "crafting", where in reality it's just either an inconvenience or time sink. Secondly, you won't be able to build anything which can't be replaced more or less easily, because CF is designed to have a ressource cycle, due to loot / degredation rules.

You Nailed it. If we could combine SWG and EVE into an Crafting/Economic System, this would be my game for life!

Mentioning ESO or GW2 in a sentence about ideal crafting systems is heresy. Some games call it "crafting", where in reality it's just either an inconvenience or time sink. Secondly, you won't be able to build anything which can't be replaced more or less easily, because CF is designed to have a ressource cycle, due to loot / degredation rules.

Cp0geLN.png

You Nailed it. If we could combine SWG and EVE into an Crafting/Economic System, this would be my game for life!

They're lending a few things from EVE but trying to avoid long term advantages due to wealth by limiting what kind of items (if at all) can be imported into a new campaign. I think it's a good approach because it forces guilds to repeat their success over and over again instead of relying on their huge pile of "gold" once they've established some victories.

Some say It's bad, because every guild/player should have a right to accumulate wealth and be at a greater advantage every time a campaign start but other state, me included, that a guild has to prove itself over and over again. This keeps the balance in a good dynamic and enables new guilds to compete on the same terms.

They're lending a few things from EVE but trying to avoid long term advantages due to wealth by limiting what kind of items (if at all) can be imported into a new campaign. I think it's a good approach because it forces guilds to repeat their success over and over again instead of relying on their huge pile of "gold" once they've established some victories.

Some say It's bad, because every guild/player should have a right to accumulate wealth and be at a greater advantage every time a campaign start but other state, me included, that a guild has to prove itself over and over again. This keeps the balance in a good dynamic and enables new guilds to compete on the same terms.

I think there should be some rule sets OUTSIDE of the Dregs where import rules are relaxed. But in campaigns where the rewards and prestige are high, I think there should be little to no imported gear or resources allowed.

Once again, this gives Crafters a legitimate place in the game. Guilds who wish to compete at the highest levels will need a squad of skilled crafters to survive early on eventually compete to win in some of the more difficult campaigns.

I don't think any game out there has ever placed as much importance on the crafting profession as this one, and I think thats a great thing for everyone.

Cp0geLN.png