Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Handies

Guys,lets remember one thing

This is one of my pet peeves. Also on the list is the whole verses/versus thing and "hacking someone's facebook" when all you did was pick up their phone while they were still logged in.

This isn't entirely accurate at all... when you get FPS drops it can make you lag as well.... when you suffer certain types of lag it can impact your performance as well, it's not as common in the present day, but it was especially noticeable back in the 56k days where certain types of lag would fubar your nic and could make your computer freeze or stutter.   They can be independent things, they can also be things that have a large impact on one another.. 

Skeggold, Skalmold, Skildir ro Klofnir

This is one of my pet peeves. Also on the list is the whole verses/versus thing and "hacking someone's facebook" when all you did was pick up their phone while they were still logged in.

Lag to the general user is "something that makes my game not as smooth as it should be." It's one of my pet peeves as well. Someone says "lag." Well, do you mean your internet is lagging, or your framerates are lagging? Damnit, be more specific!

Lag does not have anything to do with fps.

Lag is in referral to ping/latency.

Fps spiking or fps drops is what most people think of when they say "lag". 

Remember this! 

This. 

Though sometimes i have been known to say "screen lag" instead of low fps.  When someone says they are lagging, then clarify they meant bad fps, it always throws me off.

Edited by destrin

"Float like a Butterfly.... Sting like a Misplaced Decimal Point" - Xarrayne 2018

YouTube Channel

A very simple example of lag impacting performance and vice versa can be seen in LoL.... where when your client falls behind the server too much either because of lag or a performance issue causing the program to stutter... it has a catch-up period where it tries to catch you back up to the game, which can tax performance even more while it is doing so.

There's like all sorts of lag you can have, you can have internet latency lag... various forms of input lag including with your monitor... and you can bet your butt you are going to feel a bit of input lag if you are getting heavy fps drops.... 

This isn't entirely accurate at all... when you get FPS drops it can make you lag as well.... when you suffer certain types of lag it can impact your performance as well, it's not as common in the present day, but it was especially noticeable back in the 56k days where certain types of lag would fubar your nic and could make your computer freeze or stutter.   They can be independent things, they can also be things that have a large impact on one another.. 

Fps can never affect lag, ever.

There's like all sorts of lag you can have, you can have internet latency lag... various forms of input lag including with your monitor... and you can bet your butt you are going to feel a bit of input lag if you are getting heavy fps drops.... 

Internet =Latency. Monitor = latency Stop confusing what I stated in Op.

Fps can never affect lag, ever.

Actually it can... if you are suffering heavy FPS drops that usually means your system is getting taxed in some way and often times will drain system resources to try and compensate... which can cause all sorts of problems from the specific program freezing to your system locking up to whatever.

This is why when a program hangs you might hear your fans speed up and if you check your performance your cpu may be working harder etc....

This used to be far more common back in the dial up days when computers were also much more limited... fps drop would tax your system which could cause it to stutter which could cause your internet to cut in and out or lag in general. 

Nowadays because internet is much faster in general once the system gets through the hiccup it can usually recover much quicker, but as I mentioned earlier with an example of league of legends... even while it is trying to catch up through the lag... it turns around and taxes your system even more... which can sometimes compound the problem and require a hard restart of the client.

It's important to understand that latency can often make games run sub-optimally and that different games can deal with or react very differently to high latency.  Some are very sensitive to lag and it can really mess with the game and tax the system greatly, others may be very well designed to deal with latency spikes or high latency in general.   Just the act of rubberbanding in some games can make you reload certain things at a jerky pace that can tax performance as a simple example which can impact FPS. On the reverse if your system isn't running the game well it can tax your system and cause all sorts of problems including internet problems...  Not all FPS problems are related to latency, not all latency problems are related to FPS, but they can impact one and another and have in many cases before. 

Internet =Latency. Monitor = latency Stop confusing what I stated in Op.

There's actually no confusion... I just believe you are quite incorrect in what you are stating. 

Edited by VIKINGNAIL

Actually it can... if you are suffering heavy FPS drops that usually means your system is getting taxed in some way and often times will drain system resources to try and compensate... which can cause all sorts of problems from the specific program freezing to your system locking up to whatever.

This is why when a program hangs you might hear your fans speed up and if you check your performance your cpu may be working harder etc....

This used to be far more common back in the dial up days when computers were also much more limited... fps drop would tax your system which could cause it to stutter which could cause your internet to cut in and out or lag in general. 

Nowadays because internet is much faster in general once the system gets through the hiccup it can usually recover much quicker, but as I mentioned earlier with an example of league of legends... even while it is trying to catch up through the lag... it turns around and taxes your system even more... which can sometimes compound the problem and require a hard restart of the client. 

There's actually no confusion... I just believe you are quite incorrect in what you are stating. 

We are not in the 90's. 

I'd neg you if I could.

I was responding to a post I felt was pedantic with a pedantic reply. <3

But if we're going to be serious about this, then here we go.

Lag is not latency. Lag is symptomatic of latency, but the two are not the same thing.

Lag is the experience by which a game client is unable to keep up with the driver of game logic; usually, this is typified by graphical stuttering, rubberbanding, "teleporting," or other visual oddities.

Latency in gaming refers specifically to network latency, a measure of the communications delay between a server and a client.

High latency can cause lag, but it's not the only cause. An overtaxed server that is dropping tasks out of a queue can also cause lag, and so can a client that has high packet loss. 

Source: I'm an operations engineer.

Formerly Scin Karetyr, a native of Chilastra in Star Wars Galaxies