zinnie

To all Pre-Alpha EU players!

I was watching some streams yesterday specifically from NA backers, and it seemed like they had some latency issues. I am asking EU people that played the pre-alpha since we know our latency takes a hit when playing on NA servers.

Is the latency good enough for high level competitive play, or should I not bother playing until an EU Beta server has been implemented?

It's not good enough right now. The whole server had latency problems though, not only EU. But yes, for us EU players it was even worse (as expected).

With an average latency of ~250-350 (with peaks of ~800-2000) you're not going to be competitive. But that's not the point of testing anyway. So if you want to be competitive and only join the tests to fight and win, you should wait until we have EU servers to playtest on.

Tyrant said something that they were thinking of testing on EU servers as well, but I don't know if he meant during Alpha. SO don't quote me on that. If we'll see EU servers during Alpha it would be new info and really appreciated though!

I usually have a ping of 60-90 (from central Canada) to Texas but was hovering around 230-400 and for all of my games and spiked to 1200 at some points.  I'm pretty sure everyone was sitting in that zone.  I even think people in Texas were over 200 ping.

I wouldn't worry about high level competitive play at this point. If you are you will just cause your self some headache.  I would definitely give it shot if you are interested in testing, but if not, then I would hold off.

Edited by destrin

I was watching some streams yesterday specifically from NA backers, and it seemed like they had some latency issues. I am asking EU people that played the pre-alpha since we know our latency takes a hit when playing on NA servers.

Is the latency good enough for high level competitive play, or should I not bother playing until an EU Beta server has been implemented?

The server started to go kablooey when it got over 40 people so it's pretty obvious they are going to and need to be working so much more on that aspect of the server. So I wouldn't use anything you saw yesterday lag wise as your judge and jury.

However they really do need high level competitive bug finding. We can do that with lag :)

Edited by oberon

The ping was annoying, but it never really felt like I was being held back by it. Everyone was suffering, after all. I was consistently able to come out near the top of my matches, able to win one or two of them, and certainly make a nuisance of myself in others.

If my ping drops at the same rate as everyone else's, I think EU players on NA should be just fine.

Now, if we could just convince the developers to host the servers on the east coast.

Edited by Morbis

As others have said the latency is pretty bad right now. On top of that, the game's still pretty wonky because Pre-Alpha. If you're looking for anything competitive you're going to be waiting a while.

Now, if we could just convince the developers to host the servers on the east coast.

I wouldn't complain. :)

My ping was 200-800ms.

And agree, when it lagged everyones ping shot up.