Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Confessor and combat details.

mythx

Crowfall-Confessor-Animations-300x169.pn

• I`m curious about the confessor in-depth details based on ACE decision on their current range attacks - will it reflects
the standard of all range attacks in CF?

• What*s your opinion about range attacks in the Hunger Dome compare to CW`s which will have a much larger scale maps?

Personally, actually I will wait to utter my opinion on it about the total range before the spells fades away and miss the target due to range.

MQfHl7c.png

Crowfall Game Client: https://www.crowfall.com/en/client/

We were shown a video of the Confessor launching fireballs at an enemy that was not only far away, but also on top of castle walls. In the video, it appeared to be farther than any cast range in an MMO that I have played. Being able to shoot from afar is important for making siege warfare work. It looks to me like ACE has it pretty well handled.

SR8DSig_Infynis.png

We were shown a video of the Confessor launching fireballs at an enemy that was not only far away, but also on top of castle walls. In the video, it appeared to be farther than any cast range in an MMO that I have played. Being able to shoot from afar is important for making siege warfare work. It looks to me like ACE has it pretty well handled.

You are correct.

The range is not completely crazy or unreasonable by any means.  The two melee classes we have seen so far have the ability to close gaps with either their stampeding herd (legionnaire buff) or the knight's chain pull.  I've not seen an instance where a confessor has been able to simply sit out of range and light up targets where the melee could not touch them.  I have seen where a confessor was ignored and able to light up folks; different situation though and not a problem just bad game play by the melee.

Also keep in mind actually hitting a target is not as easy as you'd expect; especially as the distance between you and the target increases.   There is no target locking; you're simply aiming a crosshair and firing away.

[@--(o.O)@]

Hm, what do you mean not completely crazy or unreasonable by any means based on power balance among the current Archetypes? 

The Knight and the Legionnaire had no issues to chase down most of the confessors based on my range inquiries.

It doesn't feel perfect balanced, nor accurate yet if the map was much larger scale like in CW`s. I hope range attack is not set in stone yet to be honest.

MQfHl7c.png

Hm, what do you mean not completely crazy or unreasonable by any means based on power balance among the current Archetypes? 

Correct.  It's not among the current archetypes.  Anything else I can't speak to because we haven't seen it.  But I think if this is an indication of things to come we are in a good place.

With regard to balance.  I'm not sure anyone has been testing for balance at the moment, so cannot comment on it.

[@--(o.O)@]

That's a possibility, although they may just have been making the point that "long range" in Crowfall isn't actually long. We'll see.

Official "Bad Person" of Crowfall

"I think 1/3rd of my postcount is telling people that we aren't turning into a PvE / casual / broad audience game." -

Tully

The range seems normal to me but I'm used to the Sorceror in TERA who was mid range and had skills varying from 10m to 21m. So Confessor looked good to me. I guess we'll have to wait to see what the other archetypes turn out like. But with combat like this I don't see a huge need for a super long range caster.

Edited by Leiloni

That's a possibility, although they may just have been making the point that "long range" in Crowfall isn't actually long. We'll see.

Yes, we`ll see and the CW`s maps are huge, m8 - so my point with this thread is that ACE need to look into map scale, before they ultimately set a range for their more softy Archetypes. The Hunger Dome is just a tiny part of the CW`s which was one of points above - if there are going to be any strategic possibilities to use range Archetypes on the battlefield in CW`s - I really hope so at least so range Archetypes serve a purpose on the battlefield.
Edited by mythx

MQfHl7c.png

There are lots of ways to save that issue though and they don't necessarily impact on archetype design. Maybe siege-range attacks are only available by using siege equipment such as trebuchets. (There are greybox treb models in the hunger dome already.) Maybe there's a siege caster discipline which adds a few wall-cracker powers for casters who have that particular rune. Etc.

Official "Bad Person" of Crowfall

"I think 1/3rd of my postcount is telling people that we aren't turning into a PvE / casual / broad audience game." -

Tully

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I know its early still and there will be many adjustment ahead with regard to capabilities, damage output, etc but right now the Confessor seems under-powered.  Freeze framing as best I could to compare damage numbers still had the melee applying far more damage (not every time, but more often than not) to the confessor than the reverse.  It was, however, very difficult to determine the effectiveness of Confessor range attacks but it did appear that many of those attacks failed to hit their target because travel time for the attack allowed for the target to move.

I'm also unsure how will armor types mitigate various damage types or if there are resists like Fire, Ice, Poison, Disease, etc.  I'll be carefully watching to see just how many options melee have in mitigating damage types verses casters mitigating damage types.

First lesson I guess is never stop moving.

Edited by Vandraad

An old and grumpy gamer who should have grown up years ago.

uhvMkGn.png

Move, Keep Mana Up, and combo people.

If someone is going to let me me plink away with basic attacks, ill wear them down till im being focused. After that its a mana dump time. Also keep an eye on stamina, you always want to be able to rmb out of there and get that distance. 

Confessor definitely can put out the damage right now Vandraad; even the simple 2E -> 4 is really strong, putting out more DPS than anything else I've seen so far, assuming your target stays in range for the full cast.

Overall, I like the confessor's range. Now I couldn't fire at people from the tops of the keep walls like I wanted unless they were right below me ( any distance away was too far when I tried). I kinda would have liked to do that but at the same time, with some of the damage I did as confessor, keeping the range reasonable is better overall than simply blasting everyone and raining down fire from the walls of a keep. (I think my screen said the person was 30m or whatever measurement is used when I was on top of the keep but the other person was a little outside the keep doors. That was too far away but as they came closer I could fire, but it was hard to keep them in sight.)

Edited by FrostSword

nz8Y2JJ.jpg