Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
checkyotrack

Anonymods: The Thread

As we close up the first round of the Anonymod "regime" it is a good time for this community to have a discussion on their actual viability.

A few points from my end-

-Anonymods seem a pointless, overly beaurocratic exercise to solve a problem this forum never had and removed something this forum needed: accountability of the individual to the community.

-Problems the Anonymods were supposed to solve have not been solved. The trust the community has in community moderation is arguably worse. There is a disconnect between the community and the moderators.

-Moderation still seems to be largely reactionary. General moderation tasks such as thread mergers and general cleaning up are non-existant and the moderation policy seems to just center around controlling player behavior.

This secret cabal of moderators have been quick to try and expose non-existant conspiracies about them happening in Slack and slow to even make a single effort in interacting with the community. This is a problem and we should address it.

You are so incredibly helpful, CYT. I don't know how I ever managed to do anything before we met. I was just bumbling my way through life, all lost-like. Thank you. My blessing cup runneth over.

SWrkfdj.jpg

Communities with voluntary membership are absolutely reliant upon trust in governance. The current governance of this community has done anything but earn trust. Instead it is secretive, aloof, and nepotistic.

Is ACE trying to drive away the core audience for this game?

I mean, I'm assuming "fluffer" is just another pjorative term for carebears, whales, etc. Of course, I could be incorrect, but I doubt it.

I'm sure this thread will probably soon be deleted and anyone posting in it issued wp's... but I'm past the point of caring. The mod teams behavior over the last few months has been utterly deplorable, and has killed any desire I had to continue to participate.

You had a great forum going ACE, that's dead and gone now.

Edited by Fenrial

As we close up the first round of the Anonymod "regime" it is a good time for this community to have a discussion on their actual viability.

A few points from my end-

-Anonymods seem a pointless, overly beaurocratic exercise to solve a problem this forum never had and removed something this forum needed: accountability of the individual to the community.

-Problems the Anonymods were supposed to solve have not been solved. The trust the community has in community moderation is arguably worse. There is a disconnect between the community and the moderators.

-Moderation still seems to be largely reactionary. General moderation tasks such as thread mergers and general cleaning up are non-existant and the moderation policy seems to just center around controlling player behavior.

This secret cabal of moderators have been quick to try and expose non-existant conspiracies about them happening in Slack and slow to even make a single effort in interacting with the community. This is a problem and we should address it.

1. Accountability of Mods:  The notion that the community has the blessed right to punish moderators for their actions is entertaining, but all in all, not valuable to this conversation because no game is going to set up volunteers to be persecuted for their attempt to help moderate an official forum.

2. Anonymod problem resolution:  The problem people had with the moderation to begin with was their inability to approach people, reports, and conversations objectively.  Going anonymous was intended to allow mods to feel free to moderate without bias because they would not have it reflecting on their reputation within the community.  I have yet to see any change in this issue and remain relatively disappointed that perception and bias still affects moderation practices.

3. Moderation practices:  I've actually seen little moderation at all in any form.  I've sent in a few reports and received no response and no action taken.  It's disappointing, but I also don't want to force Pann into reading another PM from another person complaining about moderation.

I'm sure this thread will probably soon be deleted and anyone posting in it issued wp's... but I'm past the point of caring. The mod teams behavior over the last few months has been utterly deplorable, and has killed any desire I had to continue to participate.

You had a great forum going ACE, that's dead and gone now.

The forums haven't become any less or more than they were since after the $5 paywall and moderation changes.  They did shrink down the active population of the forum however, which their approach to how they are building the game is intriguing.  On one hand, they have no NDA and are Crowdfunded, thus why they'd want to limit participation of members is puzzling.  On the other hand, as the game continues along development and the core players generate more publicity, people will become more inclined to buy in at some level to gain full access to the forums which is a hook into a potential sub account.

If asked, I'd still remove the $5 requirement for a permanent account.  Moderation, meh... that's definitely not what's driving the direction of the forums here, so for me, making mods public would change nothing other than giving a handful of upset members some new targets for their angst.

I`m glad it won`t be questionable moderations after launch at least. So when guilds start losing campaigns - they won`t use that card/excuse based on moderation motives in connection with guild politics as Gordon mentioned months ago to avoid conflict of interest related to campaigns in-game.

I know the activity is low now, but the main reason for that is not moderation at the moment or lack of it, but ACE`s policy to limit `guests` or restrict them to participate on their forum without a pledge package.

Edited by mythx

MQfHl7c.png

Crowfall Game Client: https://www.crowfall.com/en/client/

If you don't like how the mods are doing the job then apply to be a mod and do the job better. 

I haven't found them to be as intrusive as the first round was back when the boards started (You get a warning!  And you get a warning!  Everyone gets a warning - and here's a ban for you! Yay!) but then again it's not the mod dream team from the Doc Gonzo days.

I'm glad they're anonymous.  In that far off shiny moment when I toss my hat in the ring to mod like I've never modded before I sure don't want folks seeing my name and kneejerking into their Oridi talking points.

pixS8Wt.jpg

The Chronicles of Crowfall           The Free Lands of Azure            RIP Doc Gonzo.

In that far off shiny moment when I toss my hat in the ring to mod like I've never modded before I sure don't want folks seeing my name and kneejerking into their Oridi talking points.

The reason is people don't trust anyone to be objective, and seeing your name on a WP would unquestionably set off alarms. It's not a job that can be filled easily and its a lose lose situation for ACE. Anonymods are their only option unless they just start choosing mods with no reputation because otherwise folks will fel persecuted.

Yeah, maybe @Vaylor, but that change of moderation policy to anonymous didn`t help the activity issue of late though.

I think it has had minimal affect on the forums over the past month. I don't think it deters new members and existing members have already made their moves.

The overall problem with changing mods every 90 days, is you have no idea what the new mods will do.  What lvl of offense is too much, and what rules have been broken when its in a greyarea.

I got my profile effectively shut down for having a jump-scare that didn't break any rules.

At one point there needs to be consistent training for the mods, so that one mod doesn't give out a WP for something trivial a different mod would have ignored.

I appreciate your candid feedback. You're correct that there is no simple solution. It is a much different situation when the team is comprised of volunteers rather than paid staff. The screening process is different, their obligations are different and our options for addressing issues where they are concerned is different.

Until such a time as we bring paid moderation staff on board, we will continue to follow the anonymod model, rotating them out after a few months, doing more to help bring consistency and clarity, and to prepare and guide them better.

I am not foolish enough to believe that they are truly anonymous, but I stand firm in my belief that their personal accounts should not be tied to their 'tours of duty' as moderators. 

Valerie "Pann" Massey, Director of Community

I don`t understand the younger generation of players; isn`t the point to talk about the game, or have a place to discuss upcoming features and debate

previous implementations? ..They make their moves and suddenly all are gone from the forums? 

`sigh, in Dayz we had 267 pages of content from experimental patch 0.58 before it hit the stable branch.. 

I`m aware of their bumpy development cycle, but at least some activity.  :)

Edited by mythx

MQfHl7c.png

Crowfall Game Client: https://www.crowfall.com/en/client/

Yeah, maybe @Vaylor, but that change of moderation policy to anonymous didn`t help the activity issue of late though.

Only real activity drop I've seen is from those who took their ball and went elsewhere so to speak. Otherwise its just the normal eb and flow of pre-launch MMO forums. Still lots of topics being made and discussed. Lots of new people posting. Its also a bit hard to take serious when its the same ones, bringing up the same old things. Months later and the forums are still here and doing fine.

I've seen some textbook abusive posts towards others in my....couple hours of browsing here.  I didn't realized we had mods.  I guess that's good for the anonymous part though 'eh?

oh, shut it.

There's no "abusive" posting going on here, I have not touched the report button in 5 months.

I don't know what forum you have previously posted in, but it cant have been a PvP forum.

I've seen some textbook abusive posts towards others in my....couple hours of browsing here.  I didn't realized we had mods.  I guess that's good for the anonymous part though 'eh?

Wait till someone attacks you in game or blows up your pixels ... the abuse!!