Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Bramble

A Plea for Bow Art / Style

I've never quite gotten WHY so many MMOs fail miserably with the artwork on Bows.

Forget opinion, forget my own preferences, someone help me understand WHY there is such a prevalence of whacked out, geometric gew-gaw, costume jewelry, auto-part tacked on STUFF all over what is supposed to be a Bow.

I mean, some of the stuff, particularly "end game" bows, have looked in other games like some kind of Lego-Block nightmare out of a Mardi Gras parade.

Is it some imperative they just look . . . ummmm . . . weird and whacky, and thus, somehow, "badass"?

Art Style request for Bows:

Think symmetry, balance, POWER.  The symmetry and balance of an Eagle's wings in flight, the full curve of a muscled bicep pulling curls, the rhythm and visual flow of a muscled horse in motion.

Surf for photos of custom recurves, review some historical photos.  Even unique styles like the Japanese Yumi which actually has asymmetrical limbs . . . flows from tip to tip.

Many modern recurves have full, sculpted, flowing/contoured grip and arrow rest areas.

So, It's ok to exaggerate some size perhaps, say the hand-grip and arrow rest area.  Each end of the bow could have a sculpted  tip, ok.

Glowing Runes, great.  Maybe misty effects wafting around it. Fine.

But, is there any chance at all we could see at least SOME Bows in Crowfall actually look badass, powerful, strong, like Arnie's arms in his prime . . . . PLAUSIBLE . . . worth a crap in a screenie . . .

. . . instead of a nightmare concoction of tacked together auto-parts?

:rolleyes:

Heh-heh.  Just askin.

Edited by Bramble

“Letting your customers set your standards is a dangerous game, because the race to the bottom is pretty easy to win. Setting your own standards--and living up to them--is a better way to profit. Not to mention a better way to make your day worth all the effort you put into it." - Seth Godin

I forward this motion. I also want to see bows that look like they can actually bend, and can be held, and can actually shoot an arrow. Maybe not necessarily full realism, but definitely believable.

Edited by Alford

I will be the best Forgemaster

I will make battle spades

Nice Oridi!  Thanks.

Maybe those of us who like archery can post up some eye-ponder material:

I'll dig up some references I had at one point for several different Bow styles, from differing cultures, through history.  English Longbow, Turkish recurve, Mongol, Chinese, American Indian, etc.

The idea here is a (general) modeling baseline from which in-game art can start from.  I would expect some "enhancement" in size (minor), heft/thickness (minor), etc.  And it's not about not being creative, but with a baseline set in real/plausible, maybe results from Art+Craft, if they find the idea worthy, would be fantastic looking bows any Ranger would be proud to have peeking over their shoulders in a screenie, or at full draw on a target.

I guess my real goal is the suggestion to have some of the Bows in Crowfall NOT look whacked.  There's gotta be room for some Bow art that's based on "traditional / realistic" models, even historical. 

Mardi Gras auto-part Leggo constructs, if that's all there is = yuck.  (shudder)

Edited by Bramble

“Letting your customers set your standards is a dangerous game, because the race to the bottom is pretty easy to win. Setting your own standards--and living up to them--is a better way to profit. Not to mention a better way to make your day worth all the effort you put into it." - Seth Godin

I dont care about the realistic aspects of bows.

I just want this one:

heretic_composite_bow__top_view_by_samou

Aaaaauuuggghh!   My Eyes!  My Eyes!

You Fiend!  (splashes Holy Water his way).

(whimper)

8.jpg

So uh, nothing like this right?

La-la-la-la-la-la . . .

. . . . I'm not hearing you . . . lalalalalalalaal

(hands cupped over ears, eyes tight shut)

As the two Heathens, Chelvie and Zinnia are put in Stocks in the town square for three days, I must soothe my 'refined' sensibilities on this matter:

RecurveBow_5F00_lead3.jpg

And a Hungarian Recurve:

Botond_Hungarian_recurve_bow_12.jpg

Edited by Bramble

Off of Pinterest, something probably closer to what our character's wildnerness kits might look like:

be33eea92e76c8504105f76e6cc0e198.jpg

And a Turkish recurve shown in an unstrung/resting state and also strung:

torok1.jpg

The English Longbow has a prominent place in European history, for good or ill depending on what end of the arrow you were on.

Generally speaking an early form of Artillery style, not necessarily a case of trick-shooting Robin Hood tactics, or mounted archers (generally speaking) as seen with the Monguls.

English armies would have a huge % of their ranks made up of . . . Longbowmen.  THOUSANDS of them would be lined up in ranks to launch waves of arrows that would land in a cohesive wave . . . at the desired range down-range.

English Kings outlawed football / entertainment sports on Sundays if I remember my history correctly, requiring people to practice Archery.  Royal Edict. 

The English Longbow had pulls between 95lbs and 150lbs if I remember correctly, and because people were required to practice this regularly, skeletons of archers from that time show deformed forearm bones and such because of the huge, repeating, stresses on muscles and bone during childhood growth pulling those things.

Anyway:  In game this type of bow style would need a small bit of visual enhancement maybe, as it looks somewhat stick-like.  Still, one of the most formidable Bows in human history, capable of great power and range.

English_Longbow.jpgTheLongbow-640x302.jpg

Edited by Bramble

The Japanese Yumi (longbow).

Different than western styles, with asymmetrical limb lengths, 2/3 up and 1/3 down from the hand.  Two theories I've seen for the design are 1)  Facilitates mounted archery, easier to flip from side to side of the horse, and/or 2)  Alleviates Hand Shock at release to minimize fatigue during combat.

Also regularly owned/wielded by Samuarai.

Product.KyudoBowYumiMadeInJapanExtraPowetumblr_m6qabn5r311qa944oo1_1280.jpg

I like zinnie's ***hole posts.  But your taste in bows sucks ****.

No way man!  Does not! "No . . . . you!"  (stamping feet, glassy eyed) ;)

fantasy-archer_190448.jpgtumblr_m069ernYex1qho0ulo1_500.jpg

Edited by Bramble

Again, the spirit of the suggestion isn't necessarily to request bows look exactly as depicted in photos I've posted, but rather be used as a baseline / starting point for flavor or style of bow artwork, for at least some of the Bows to be found / crafted in Crowfall.

Hmmmm:

Art+Craft - would it be possible to have a "Skins System" in Crowfall?  So, you have a horrific looking monstrosity that Zinnie likes drop off a boss, but I, having much more refined tastes :o  could skin that up with something from the more "realistic" model set?

Choices both sides of the coin.

In the examples I've shown above, I would expect an in-game model to receive SOME level of enhancement, likely in thickness etc., to look a little more substantial.  Maybe some hanging feathers off an end, carved ends of the bow at the nocks similar to the scroll of a violin, etc.

Anyway . . . fun stuff to kick around.  It's all in eye-taste, and everyone's is different.  /waves

Edited by Bramble