Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Bramble

A Plea for Bow Art / Style

Here's a wallpaper image that shows an example of something visually enhanced a bit, without going too far into the "whacked":

brunettes%20women%20fantasy%20long%20hai

Edited by Bramble

“Letting your customers set your standards is a dangerous game, because the race to the bottom is pretty easy to win. Setting your own standards--and living up to them--is a better way to profit. Not to mention a better way to make your day worth all the effort you put into it." - Seth Godin

I agree. Most games have horrendously over-designed armour and weaponry. For a good example of gear that looks functional, but still has character and style, look at the props made for the LOTR films. You can instantly tell from the design of any piece of armour or weaponry whether it was made by a human, dwarf, elf, orc, etc, yet for the most part they also look like something that would be practical and useful irl.

im all for building up a characters attributes versus the gear being the win all of every situation. im 100% for having a ton of costume/wardrobe ideas in the shop for sale. 

hoping they do more like rifts current idea for the wardrobe system which boosted the hell out of rifts popularity. anything you pick up that can be equipped gets saved to all your characters' wardrobe. that way you can make your characters look however you like and never lose your favourite look. this skins over any current gear without the need for special items anymore. so if my toon has two one handers i can change their looks anytime but if he swaps to a two hander i have a specified look already set !.

if time and money allow it please go nuts on an epic wardrobe system 

"people are stupid , given the proper motivation can be made to believe any lie; either because they want to believe it is true or because they fear it is true" - wizard's first rule

I like the lines on this one.  Seems like it would be good for screenies, rising up over one shoulder when "slung".

archer_girl_by_weaselpa.jpg

“Letting your customers set your standards is a dangerous game, because the race to the bottom is pretty easy to win. Setting your own standards--and living up to them--is a better way to profit. Not to mention a better way to make your day worth all the effort you put into it." - Seth Godin

Off of Pinterest, something probably closer to what our character's wildnerness kits might look like:

be33eea92e76c8504105f76e6cc0e198.jpg

This. I literally have this pinned on one of my boards.

Dang you're an Icy Witch.

Is that a Guineacian hunting bow?

Apologies, "Guineacian" hunting bow?  Where is that reference from?

Another thought generating a secondary Art Request Consideration:

Alternate Style Quivers.  Could potentially be used for Tiering of crafted gear and/or drops (e.g. a particular style is only obtainable at certain crafting levels, or from certain instances, or perhaps only found in certain Regional areas).

Or, just an alternate style generally available. 

Back/Shoulder quivers are the most common, and look good.  But, there is the Hip Quiver as well.  Erm, and I'm not talking Belly Dancers. :D

An example illustrated below from a Wallpaper that also presents a Bow with a decent look to it, not whacked out with autoparts glued to it:

The-Beautiful-Archer-fantasy-19273412-10

Edited by Bramble

I'd be all for more realistic bow art. Don't get me wrong, I love giant badass bows with snakes or whatever (think KOA: Reckoning) but it would be nice to to be constantly wondering how my char is running with that thing. Or shooting while running.

twitter | @BetaSpaghetti

Idea-food for embellishment that could take many forms:  Patterns, runes, perhaps glowing:

elven_archer_by_chriss2d.jpg

This one in particular for some reason I really like.  It's different in make up, catches the attention.  Eldritch light flickering in it's designs.  Yet it clearly holds true to the sweep/curve, form and function of a bow:

AlinorArcherBuildImg1.jpg?width=400

Edited by Bramble

They've been somewhat modest and practical armor and weapons so far, hopefully they will stay with more practical designs.

Even if their animations aren't so grounded (I still get a little sick from the Knight's shield bash animation...to actually go and disarm himself and then raise it over his head, leaving himself so bloody exposed, and...no, I can't go through this again. It's the thing that actually made me drop the Knight from my class roster, put the Templar to take his place (of course, I haven't seen his animations yet, so we'll see...))

In fairness some real bows look pretty weird. With a recurve bow, only the limbs need to bend. The center is usually an inflexible metal core. 

(This is a closest picture to my bow that I can find while quickly googling at work)

Martin-Archery-Jaguar-BF1.jpg

In fact you would often have "spike-like" pieces jutting off the front as well

rests.jpg

No idea who this is a picture of (thanks google), but they have a weight on the front of their bow to help with stability (the big long post) and a sight on top. 

In short, real bows can have random tacked on stuff as well, as long as the limbs are unhindered there is no reason not to have spikes or whatnot ;)

I think any picture Kriptik posted would make a usable bow... 

Just my two cents.

Apologies, "Guineacian" hunting bow? Where is that reference from?

The bow shown is miniature and looks artificial.

There's actually some pretty facinating ways to represent bows, even if artificial, that at least look more natural and Gothic.

The Korean movie Arrow shows a lot of interesting shooting, even if fake, that would look cool as skills. And while arrows are probably hard to recognize, it's worth going with heavy war arrows with heft to punch armor.

a52d4a0d-044f-44ff-8a10-ccc31bfa2d87.jpg          Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes... Than if they're upset, they'll be a mile away, and barefoot :P

On the note of realism, did you know that "real" archers back in the day didn't use quivers but actually just carried the arrows in hand? This is due to the quiver being mostly impractical if moving and it was quicker to simply have the arrow "at the ready" in either hand. Of course, I won't care if there are still quivers in this game, because magic.

On the note of realism, did you know that "real" archers back in the day didn't use quivers but actually just carried the arrows in hand? This is due to the quiver being mostly impractical if moving and it was quicker to simply have the arrow "at the ready" in either hand. Of course, I won't care if there are still quivers in this game, because magic.

Did you get an education from Lars Anderson?...

a52d4a0d-044f-44ff-8a10-ccc31bfa2d87.jpg          Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes... Than if they're upset, they'll be a mile away, and barefoot :P