Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Pann

Founders' Update: Great stuff is happening! - Official discussion thread

If you're looking for hyper-realism, Rolemaster is interesting.  It's also bonkers.  It's tables, cross-referencing tables, cross-referencing tables to determine exactly HOW and WHERE you take damage.  coupled with the fact that the game game has practically NO healing.

I remember a party member taking a blow from a mace that crushed one of his kneecaps (threeor four tables deep, it literally said "his right kneecap is crushed").

Character was ruined that character.  Seriously, we should have just killed him and made our friend roll up a new guy.

Todd

ACE

And I thought picking spells for my 3.5 druid was bad.

It's cute how zinnie thinks he's the most hardcorest PvPer around and will be the one ganking everyone in sight, never dying himself.   :lol:  

Oh, I will die, but with a good team behind me, it wont be that often.. But I will take as many as possible with me when I go ;)

re: "why minis?"

1. every collectors box does the "one big figure," and we wanted to be different

2. at this point, guys who buy CE boxes like this already have a desk full of standing figures.  we thought this might scratch a different itch, and maybe appeal to a different crowd, as well

3. if we had gone with a single large figure, we would have been forced to pick just one archetype / one gender, due to printing cost.  Even within OUR team, we couldn't agree on which archetype to do!  male legionnaire? female frostweaver? Elken?  female Ranger?  male Confessor? everyone had a different opinion, and 19/20 people would have been disappointed regardless of what we picked. 

...and, most importantly...

4. I really want to use Crowfall minis with my dwarven forge set.  

Aha!  At last, my plan is revealed: this entire project was just an incredibly elaborate, multi-stage ruse to feed my 25mm addiction.

Todd

ACE

Speaking of gender... Even with the multiple minis, how do you intend to pick the gender for each archetype?

Also: How will you handle any additional archetypes as far as adding minis go?

Might I interest you in a low-interest mortgage?

(You can see a touch of the Warhammer Fantasy RPG in our class & discipline system, though.  I even flirted with the idea of making you collect items to complete your promotion, but was worried that players would find it annoying rather than cool.)

Todd

ACE

I was a huge fan of the way the old Warhammer Fantasy RPG handled character progression and loved the way Shadowbane borrowed some of the concepts. I think you made the right choice by skipping the "Trappings" requirement, though.

Looking forward to adding these Crowfall minis to my collection!

IhhQKY6.gif

I won't lie, I'm more than a little bit upset that I backed at number 1200 and some for Contributor, and later upgraded to the Amber 2015 pack, for a total of $305, but I'm still not getting a physical Collector's Edition :/

I understand how you feel, but keep in mind that if you were a KS backer you had a lot of extra time to upgrade to another KS package. They kept that option open for much longer than they really needed to.

mael4.jpg

I even flirted with the idea of making you collect items to complete your promotion, but was worried that players would find it annoying rather than cool.

Todd

ACE

I agree with many of the other commentators. This is a great idea. Advancing to a new class should definitely involve some sort of in-game activities that make the promotion more meaningful. I've seen something like this in several other games and those quests were some of the most memorable for me.

mael4.jpg

If you're looking for hyper-realism, Rolemaster is interesting.  It's also bonkers.  It's tables, cross-referencing tables, cross-referencing tables to determine exactly HOW and WHERE you take damage.  coupled with the fact that the game game has practically NO healing.

I remember a party member taking a blow from a mace that crushed one of his kneecaps (threeor four tables deep, it literally said "his right kneecap is crushed").

Character was ruined that character.  Seriously, we should have just killed him and made our friend roll up a new guy.

Todd

ACE

I know that xD.

It was fun times!

Jes i rolled my necromancer/ bard/ rouge for 2 hours.

Then an arrow hit my knee!

Posted Today, 12:44 AM

42463-badge-.png

dreaden, on 09 Sept 2015 - 11:14 PM, said:snapback.png

does that mean the contributor package included in the CE gives us a second account?

Yes, it's additional. 

Tyrant, it was nice playing with you guys the other day.  I have to say how I impressed I am with this question and Answer.  When I read Dreaden's question, I honestly expected an instant of course not but thank you for playing type of answer.  I would have been happy either way but this gives me the opportunity to have a second account as needed without purchasing the game and I appreciate that.

One question on that though. One of the biggest draws for me getting a CE is the Beta 2 access included with the 2015 Contributor bundle.  Is there a way to get that earlier than release so that we can gift it to someone?  What I mean is, if I give my CE to my wife or son, I would want them to be able to be in Beta 2 with me as well.  

Will there be a plan in place for us to use it that way?

Kloke / Khloe

Kloke

Shadowbane / Server: War / Guild: DHL / Thief: Yin / Scout: Plexiglassdragon

I agree with many of the other commentators. This is a great idea. Advancing to a new class should definitely involve some sort of in-game activities that make the promotion more meaningful. I've seen something like this in several other games and those quests were some of the most memorable for me.

The problem I see is that promotion class is possibly a major advancement in character progression.  Having to collect an item means that advancement could be hindered or completely halted by other players.  That might be a bad thing.

The discipline runes will (hopefully) be fluff for the character and not a major advancement.  Little things to help round-out skills and abilities.  You can also change these runes at any time whereas you are stuck with the promotion class.

Since you can change disciplines on your character, it's ok to have them as collectible items.  They can then be used as a means of trade between players.  But it's likely not a good thing to block or gate a person's character progression.  Unless you make the promotion class an item to trade, but then where is the meaning?

Sorry you turned into a two-bit carebear whose feelings get hurt over forum banter.

triforcer, on 10 Sept 2015 - 05:52 AM, said:snapback.png

Nice looking CE, but I am a bit disappointed in the lack of digital exclusives. I still fondly remember my little campfire and exclusive character head in WAR. Would be nice to get two or three minor/amusing trinkets or skins to stand out, that is the norm for most recent CEs.

We haven't announced the digital exclusives yet.  Perhaps we may yet meet your expectations.

This one I can understand and maybe make a few suggestions.

In Wow, as the game progressed and I had my Panda cub out, I was often asked how they could get one.  The answer was you cannot as It was only with the Original Wow Collectors Edition.  It actually really did make you stand out the longer and longer the game went on as Original CE players were thinning out.  It did nothing for your char but at the same time it was also usable from Day 1 and also never lost the appeal.

A few things I have seen in recent games that I would make the suggestion of staying away from as they really soured the items for me and also meant I will not purchase another CE from that company for any game from this point on.

1.  Only one char per account or X Per new chars:  What if you realized down the road that you really wanted another class or a new class or race was introduced later and now you cannot have your CE item?

2.  An item that expires or has charges or in this case can be looted if you die:  An item that I got for having the CE or a backing package should not be weakened or taken from a player in any way.  Whether it decays, has charges, only x chars or looted by others.  It should be something that reminds you that you purchased the CE and you were someone that believed in the game.  

3.  Items that cannot be used right away and this one is debatable as I see reasons for some such as Mounts that no one can use until a certain level. To me the best example is my Panda again, I still pulled him out last expansion and he was still as fun as ever.  In every other game when I got weapons or Items that you outgrow at level 5 or 10, you never have the urge to see them again and it makes them non memorable.  I purchased every Wow CE except WOTLK and I till the day I quit. I regretted every time a guildie took out his Shadow Dragon minion to tease me.

4.  Having a potion for 25% more exp for an hour or a Sword of Bunny_Destroying_01 is wonderful but the potion I still have banked in every game because I always feared when to use it and the second one, while cute and deadly vs Bunnies, is something that just wasted bank space until I finally deleted it as I needed the space for crafting and would never use it again.

The one thing that I can say that EQ did right was clickies.  You had a clickie for everything and my bags were literally filled with them because I loved them.  A clickie to add a visual effect would be nice and it does not have to affect game play in any way.  A blue flame on your weapon, Flaming fist, a trail of fire, a halo, an aura and many others were not only fun but made you stand out in the crowd.

You guys have been doing great and I have faith you will put something together that will be memorable.  

Kloke / Khloe

Kloke

That is brilliant!

I would find items, and camp the spot for days.

We need more stuff like this, to make it a bit harder.

This is the truth, a friend and I were just talking about how much we miss camps in games.  A great example was the Commander Rune in SB or key pieces in EQ.  It brought all sorts of people into the fold and guaranteed you a fight.  When you left you always left feeling like you accomplished something.  It also really made you form groups and work together.  All the games now push you to solo for everything and I do not see how you make friends.  

Some of my best gaming friends were found over camps in EQ.  You help a camp, fought off any enemies and felt a huge sense of, we did it, when an item dropped.  More often than not you ended up staying to help the next person get theirs too because you felt like a group vs wanting to get out asap.

Kloke

The problem I see is that promotion class is possibly a major advancement in character progression.  Having to collect an item means that advancement could be hindered or completely halted by other players.  That might be a bad thing.

The discipline runes will (hopefully) be fluff for the character and not a major advancement.  Little things to help round-out skills and abilities.  You can also change these runes at any time whereas you are stuck with the promotion class.

Since you can change disciplines on your character, it's ok to have them as collectible items.  They can then be used as a means of trade between players.  But it's likely not a good thing to block or gate a person's character progression.  Unless you make the promotion class an item to trade, but then where is the meaning?

In Shadowbane they actually changed your char in many ways and the camps were rare spawns and people would set timers or build castles as close to the spawns as possible.  Yes it was slow to gather them but you had a huge feeling of accomplishment when you got the rune.  Also they were great to farm and barter with or to use in trades with other guilds during pay offs or guild political dealings.

As an example this was a discussion I had to handle as an officer in DHL.

Attila: Your Guild member X camped my guild member X after we had a truce?

Me: Provide me a Screenshot?  Ok I see, I will handle my side and we will trade you two Commander Runes, 1 Bounty Hunter rune and pay for his repairs if you agree?

Those sorts of deals happened all the time between guilds.  At first the runes are very rare but it was a huge bonus to have a leader with Commander on your side or to have Bounty Hunter for the tracking.  If you needed a Rune you took a group there and camped it or you traded other Runes or items to the guild that farms it.

All of these things were what made Shadowbane so great and always gave you areas to check for PvP.

Kloke

This is the truth, a friend and I were just talking about how much we miss camps in games.  A great example was the Commander Rune in SB or key pieces in EQ.  It brought all sorts of people into the fold and guaranteed you a fight.  When you left you always left feeling like you accomplished something.  It also really made you form groups and work together.  All the games now push you to solo for everything and I do not see how you make friends.  

Some of my best gaming friends were found over camps in EQ.  You help a camp, fought off any enemies and felt a huge sense of, we did it, when an item dropped.  More often than not you ended up staying to help the next person get theirs too because you felt like a group vs wanting to get out asap.

The POIs serve this role for us in the Campaigns; they are designed to change hands continually and provide resources that drive the game of territorial conquest.  As such, they are tied more to guild/team goals than individual goals.

Todd

ACE

J Todd Coleman

ArtCraft Entertainment, Inc.

Follow us on Twitter @CrowfallGame | Like us on Facebook

[Rules of Conduct]

Is there any other way to get the mini's except through the Collector's Edition?

Yes ... pay with your soul!!

I mean wallet.

Surely they will put them up for sale, at an incaresed price. Given that CE is heavily dicounted.

And they wont have them in store forever.

I think it will be like "we made x amount of these figurines", then put 90% in our retail CE.

And 10% will be up for the grab on our store, god speed.

I bet they will add "more" later on. Like Archetype extras or re-skins.

But they wont pour out these minis forever in an massive qauntity.

I mean ... it's a collectors edition add, shouldn't be buyable forever.

BUT only if there's an "market" for them.

Which would be needed to look for.

Speaking of gender... Even with the multiple minis, how do you intend to pick the gender for each archetype?

Also: How will you handle any additional archetypes as far as adding minis go?

21 minis in the box covers both genders for 8 archetypes plus 5 archetypes which are gender locked. Forgemaster, Myrmidon, Stalker, and Duelist are all locked, and I guess we'll be missing the male assassin since that stretch goal is not yet unlocked.

Official "Bad Person" of Crowfall

"I think 1/3rd of my postcount is telling people that we aren't turning into a PvE / casual / broad audience game." -

Tully

21 minis in the box covers both genders for 8 archetypes plus 5 archetypes which are gender locked. Forgemaster, Myrmidon, Stalker, and Duelist are all locked, and I guess we'll be missing the male assassin since that stretch goal is not yet unlocked.

Alright, thanks for that.

Might I interest you in a low-interest mortgage?

The POIs serve this role for us in the Campaigns; they are designed to change hands continually and provide resources that drive the game of territorial conquest.  As such, they are tied more to guild/team goals than individual goals.

Todd

ACE

Sounds like a good plan and finally in a game where I can scout and it matters again...  

Shadowbane Scouting:

/Cast Stealth

/Cast Track

Hey boss we have 30+ coming our way from the South.

Ok, keep tabs on them and let me know where they go.

Will do and now you follow them for hours and give reports, unless of course they have a Scout worth their weight as well that tracks you down and bleeds you.

Typical Game Stealthing now:

/Cast Stealth

/Cast Track

Hey Boss we have 30 incoming, one sec.  /Cast Stealth

Ok, keep tabs on them and let me know where they go.

/Cast Stealth

Will do Boss, I will report back as the move

/Cast Stealth

It goes something like that now, I cannot wait for real stealth again.

Kloke

The POIs serve this role for us in the Campaigns; they are designed to change hands continually and provide resources that drive the game of territorial conquest.

A common problem with these types of features is cross-rivalry collaboration to share the feature. That is, otherwise-opposed parties will actually willfully exchange control of the feature so that both benefit, because it's easier to get the desired result that way, and leave conflict to more vital circumstances. Witness the capture points in the PvP zone at release time of SWToR. There must be a clear and immediate incentive to deny access, rather than merely gain control for the relatively short time required to get what you want and leave.

I don't have any specific concern that you won't get this right. It's a common enough problem, however, that I think it's worth mentioning. If these POIs are going to change hands continually, that change of hands has to be undesirable, or it will become ritual.

I mean, I'm assuming "fluffer" is just another pjorative term for carebears, whales, etc. Of course, I could be incorrect, but I doubt it.

GURPs and Rolemaster were probably the two biggest tabletop influences on SB (besides AD&D, of course).  

On Crowfall, you can still see tabletop roots (because these games influenced me so much, as a designer) but everything tends to be a lot more streamlined because we now have SO MUCH more to draw inspiration from, i.e. hundreds of other online games.  Back in the day, we had to rely heavily on MUDs and tabletop games because we really didn't have anything else to reference.

(You can see a touch of the Warhammer Fantasy RPG in our class & discipline system, though.  I even flirted with the idea of making you collect items to complete your promotion, but was worried that players would find it annoying rather than cool.)

Todd

ACE

I loved tracking down discipline runes...especially when it meant stealing the commander rune from an npc in lokri's poorly made socksty elven backyard.  

www.LordsOfDeath.com

https://twitter.com/lodforlife

"Alert The Clutch"