Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Clarden

Mac release?

Hey guys, before the elitists pop in here to shut me down and insult anyone who owns a Mac, I haven't been on the forums awhile and I was curious if there was an update (i.e. a definite no, or potentially in the future) for a Mac release. I won't argue benefits or anything, just curious if this was further addressed since I last checked awhile back.

Thanks

Crowfall is initially a game for Windows PCs. As for other platforms:

We expect that if a Macintosh has Windows compatibility and a 3d Graphics card it will work. We are not planning a native client at this time. Other OS variants such are Linux are not being considered at this time.

https://crowfall.com/#/faq/general

That's the official stance on it for now, and they really haven't talked about changing it.

I already plan on using Bootcamp, just wanted to know if a native was in the works, thanks for the link Purplestreak

Edit: Also, nowadays almost everyone in academia I know uses Macs, so its really not a hipster thing anymore. 

Edited by Clarden

Ugggg Macs....Any time someone says Macs are the best thing for video editing it makes me cringe.

Let me render this huge video file with some crappy integrated processor and graphics card. Also let's make the computer and screen the same thing and design no airflow whatsoever. 

I had to use those pieces of garbage for 2 years for my pointless video production class I took in high school.

I'm fully triggered right now. The only thing that pisses me off more than Macs are speed bumps.

I would hope they are planning on releasing on Mac, it is the system I plan to use to play and they are using Unity, which is like the simplest port on an engine that there is. I don't want to comment on Mac or PC being better or anything, honestly I think it is a stupid debate, both systems exist and both serve different audiences.  Companies that try to cater to both are really awesome.

But yeah if it isn't released on mac I am going to be pretty sad for a while.

This honestly makes me sick! I was a staunch supporter of this concept and was one of the initial supporters. Now to find out I either get to play in suck mode through a Windows partition, or buy a system just for the game is a huge disappointment. You may have lost me on this one. It's time for gaming companies to stop with the windows only poorly made socks already!

Ugggg Macs....Any time someone says Macs are the best thing for video editing it makes me cringe.

Let me render this huge video file with some crappy integrated processor and graphics card. Also let's make the computer and screen the same thing and design no airflow whatsoever. 

I had to use those pieces of garbage for 2 years for my pointless video production class I took in high school.

I'm fully triggered right now. The only thing that pisses me off more than Macs are speed bumps.

This is how I feel about Windows so imagine how you would feel if the game you've been hoping and waiting was Apple only..it's built with Unity so have to wonder what the hang up is with making an Apple version.

Bump, kinda crazy they don't want to push out apple at the same time. I use IOS because it works really well in my family, don't care so much about the hardware 

Edit: I don't own a PC so i won't be able to play Alpha or any part of testing. 

Edited by Khudere

Bump, kinda crazy they don't want to push out apple at the same time. I use IOS because it works really well in my family, don't care so much about the hardware 

Edit: I don't own a PC so i won't be able to play Alpha or any part of testing. 

Not that crazy since creating a native Mac client and keeping it updated require additional resources:

"... It's expensive though because it requires people. Making the client when you have Unity is relatively easy (this is the part of the Unity hype that is true). Having people dedicated to it both for the ongoing debugging and QA is required. No one wants a client that isn't at a high quality level and there are always version specific errors that arise and the QA testing is just as extensive as the PC version and it must be done. New hardware and OS upgrades complicate the support of both Macintosh and PC platforms. On top of this the two clients must always be in sync from a feature standpoint. Any issue with one or the other client will hold up publishes until they are resolved. Often Macintosh support is promised but it's thrown out there hoping it will work, but we wont take this on unless we can do it at the quality level we ourselves would want as customers."

The last message from ACE I've read about Mac was: "We test it on a Macintosh under emulation mode consistently, as one of our team plays exclusively on Mac.  We don't have current plans for a native client though."

A solution for Mac users would be to run the game under PC compatibility mode. It's been tested by ACE and apparently works well.