Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Kunai

Tab targeting

Maybe ill get flamed for saying this, but i really didnt enjoy the combat testing today in the hunger dome. 

Im not trying to be negative. I love the art style, the animations and pretty much everything ive seen so far.. but i really didnt enjoy the current targeting system. I dont see whats wrong with traditional tab targeting like World of Warcraft. I played several games today and mostly just felt frustrated. 

Im sure some will call me lazy, but i want a combat experience thats fun and easy to jump into. I dont know how many of you have access to the pre alpha so perhaps i wont get much feedback from the forum yet, but i just wanted to put my opinion out there and see what people think. 

Kunai, some of that is the simple fact that Hunger Dome is about the worst possible learning environment. You'd probably feel a lot more comfortable with the targeting after a slower ramp-up period.

With that said, there's about zero chance of them making the game tab target.

Official "Bad Person" of Crowfall

"I think 1/3rd of my postcount is telling people that we aren't turning into a PvE / casual / broad audience game." -

Tully

Kunai, some of that is the simple fact that Hunger Dome is about the worst possible learning environment. You'd probably feel a lot more comfortable with the targeting after a slower ramp-up period.

With that said, there's about zero chance of them making the game tab target.

Perhaps not all classes will use cross-hairs? I recall watching a video a while back with some Knight combat and it looked a lot like the wildstar type of combat which i also enjoyed a lot

Theres no snowballs chance in hell they will ever consider tab targetting.

Its just outdated and slow compared to action combat.

"Kunai, on 12 Sept 2015 - 01:04 AM, said:
it looked a lot like the wildstar type of combat which i also enjoyed a lot"

That explains the thread.

Edited by zinnie

I far prefer action combat over tab targeting. I'd much rather focus on positioning and aiming than ability rotations and cooldown popping that comes into a tab target system. And like others have said right now isn't the time to bash the combat system. It's in a infantile state. Don't throw the baby out with the bathwater. 

Theres no snowballs chance in hell they will ever consider tab targetting.

Its just outdated and slow compared to action combat.

We will have to agree to disagree on that. 

can't tell if trolling or a wildstar player

Why would that be trolling? Wildstar's combat wasnt perfect but it was pretty fun at times. The knights abilities had telegraphs in the video i watched a few months back. 

I far prefer action combat over tab targeting. I'd much rather focus on positioning and aiming than ability rotations and cooldown popping that comes into a tab target system. And like others have said right now isn't the time to bash the combat system. It's in a infantile state. Don't throw the baby out with the bathwater. 

I wasnt bashing. The purpose of testing is to give feedback. 

I have no motivation to flame anyone, so forget that.   I am definitely a fan of action/mouse targeting, tab targeting will significantly dumb down the action so I don't think it is the best course of change.

SR8DSigTemp_Tahru.png

The knights abilities had telegraphs in the video i watched a few months back. 

They ended up scrapping the system they showed in the Kickstarter videos.  Those telegraphs are gone.

IhhQKY6.gif

Tab targeting is lazy, for the slow witted and the incapable. This game is catoring to the pvp crowd and quite frankly, if you want tab targeting this game isn't for you.

I'm sorry you feel that way... however aim takes more skill, something many games lack. At least in this ranged classes can't just run around shooting unless they know what they are doing. When you get into next test and die, stop. Cycle through and watch what other people are doing.

(Even if everyone on your team has died, watch to the end of the match.)

I'm always dramatic, its part of my A-hole narrative.

Zinnie lol

Edited by Kiro Elmarok

[TB] The Balance
Nation of Equilibrium

OP- there have been a few threads about this before.

http://community.crowfall.com/index.php?/topic/5478-please-offer-tab-targeting-as-an-option/?hl=tab%20targeting

http://community.crowfall.com/index.php?/topic/7803-oh-god-pls-no/?hl=tab%20targeting

While the devs have mentioned being open to feedback about the game's structure it's unlikely that they'll go the tabbed targeting route.  There's a focus on skill and being able to evolve as a player IMO in the dev approach to game decisions and tab targeting does make combat very very easy.

In PvP it's crucial to have options - ways to avoid damage and ways to ensure damage is done.  Tabbed targeting removes skill from the targeting process and also removes options like using the surrounding flora and fauna to hide while sneaking up on your enemy.  Tabbed targeting also has a tendency to turn into "I can hit stuff even if they move around cause I'll auto follow them - woot!" and "I can't tell who is friend and who is foe so I'll just keep hitting tab until I lock on someone and that will be a foe! Woot!"  and my personal favorite "This area looks empty but I think I'll hit tab a few times just in case there's someone hiding behind a rock.  Woot!"

My suggestion is to give it a bit of time until the servers and the testing process settle down so you can actually experience the targeting as it's set up now.  You may have to up your skill level but you'll be a better player for it. 

pixS8Wt.jpg

The Chronicles of Crowfall           The Free Lands of Azure            RIP Doc Gonzo.

Crowfall is geared toward competitive, pvp oriented players. Could you imagine a tab target FPS game? Of course not. Because FPS players are competitive and pvp oriented. Same thing here man. The people who are excited about Crowfall are not the type that would be interested in tab targeting. 

Also, mention WOW in opening post is auto fail IMO. 

VermiBanner2_zps0cjbs8xh.jpg