Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Kunai

Tab targeting

No tab-targeting; it's too easy and boring; it's been done so many times, I want to try something different. However, I know VN mentioned it and he said he thinks it's poorly made socks, but I think the cross-hair changing colour is a brilliant idea; it slightly bridges the gap between hardcore and casual with a very vague and simple feature. In all honestly, having it not change colour doesn't make it any more "hardcore" than it is already, so it's not really "hand-holding" because you still have to aim at your target to hit them. 

Edited by zero2none

I feel bad that you had such a bad experience. I am pretty bad with aiming (me playing BF lol) but I still somehow managed to do okay today. I played Darkfall and I was absolutely terrible at that, so the aiming for Crowfall seems to have been toned down a lot so I think most people will get the hang of it just fine with a little practice. Are you sure you weren't just having issues with lag/adjusting for server side movement controls? 

I did just fine in the hunger dome. Judging from the players around me id say my skill level was about average, and i have no doubt i can improve with practise (it was my first time playing) I just wanted to make a suggestion and see what the general feeling was in the community, but this was probably a mistake as forum users never really represent the majority of any mmo player base. 

I can really feel the hostility from a lot of people who replied, which is sad because it turns people off from posting for fear of being targeted and insulted. 

What the custard is this poorly made socks, tab-targeting? Yeah no wonder you get hostility with stupid suggestions like that, what the custard do you think this game is trying to be? Quite literally the opposite of tab-target, low skill poorly made socks.

Member of The BlackHand Order

Finally a game where true aim and positioning matter, and some people want tab targeting?

Tab targeting is the worst combat system ever made, you lock on the target and spam skills based on RNG, there is no player skills involved in this crappy artificial combat.

Also mentioning WoW as a good example of combat system, i'm really spechless... hope the op is a troll.

But if you are serious maybe is not the game for you.

Edited by kdchan

Archduchess Alice

honestly it took me an incredible amount of time to master my Berserker in Tera Online, starting with playing the korean CBT's which can come close to what I might experience in the upcoming tests regarding latency and such. Once I was used to it, it was incredibly fun. 

Still I wonder why people still root for tab-targeting combat systems. Yeah I'd go with the approach "press tab and see the enemy health bar, status info, etc." but even that isn't matching CF if you asked me about it. 

To me any game which features a pure tab target combat system just feels plain boring though I enjoy FF14, although it's more because I like the art and the environment but well...

You get the wolves...lots of wolves...and sheep that wear armor and have developed an appetite for blood soaked grass - dubanka

Even insects smell good when roasted - a random confessor

honestly it took me an incredible amount of time to master my Berserker in Tera Online, starting with playing the korean CBT's which can come close to what I might experience in the upcoming tests regarding latency and such. Once I was used to it, it was incredibly fun. 

Still I wonder why people still root for tab-targeting combat systems. Yeah I'd go with the approach "press tab and see the enemy health bar, status info, etc." but even that isn't matching CF if you asked me about it. 

To me any game which features a pure tab target combat system just feels plain boring though I enjoy FF14, although it's more because I like the art and the environment but well...

Yeah it took me about a week of persistence to master the controls for heroes of the storm. It was so clunky for me at first but now I'm climbing heroe league and having lots of fun.

Im not against learning a new combat system.

We will be adding a screen for keybinding later; it just wasn't a high enough priority to make the initial features list.  

That said, we did make a conscious decision not to go with tab-targeting.  Targeting reticle is here to stay.

Todd

ACE

http://community.crowfall.com/index.php?/topic/8797-first-impression-character-movement/?p=224646

/thread

Edited by pang

Every MMO to date is tab targeted, please break the MMO stale mold. That said i know latency will be an issue for aiming and i'll have a 300 ping but i still don't mind. I'd rather have free aim range attacks with a 300 ping, than a boring rotating tab targeting system.

Edited by billybowl

I knew it, a role-player!

Carry on.

+1 For using the phrase "Carry on."

Additionally, no. Tab target is not the way to go. There is little to know skill involved in such a system and severely impedes the type of skill oriented combat that they are trying to implement. Tab target would change too much, like the existence of friendly fire and collision detection for example.

9e58b2ae2f9ac9f2904b5d4c33b609bb92d1a174

"Sharp alone, deadly together."

I did just fine in the hunger dome. Judging from the players around me id say my skill level was about average, and i have no doubt i can improve with practise (it was my first time playing) I just wanted to make a suggestion and see what the general feeling was in the community, but this was probably a mistake as forum users never really represent the majority of any mmo player base. 

I can really feel the hostility from a lot of people who replied, which is sad because it turns people off from posting for fear of being targeted and insulted. 

Hey Kunai,

I would not be discouraged from posting your thoughts.  And honestly the hostility from some of the posters is actually just their fear coming out.  A lot of us have been waiting a long time for a game that is centered on PVP and has mechanics that involve "skill" so anytime someone suggests a mechanic that is deemed unskilled then you will get the type of feedback in this post.  Just continue to post and give honest feedback, some of it might be taken into consideration and some will not.  

Welcome to Crowfall.

No tab-targeting; it's too easy and boring; it's been done so many times, I want to try something different. However, I know VN mentioned it and he said he thinks it's poorly made socks, but I think the cross-hair changing colour is a brilliant idea; it slightly bridges the gap between hardcore and casual with a very vague and simple feature. In all honestly, having it not change colour doesn't make it any more "hardcore" than it is already, so it's not really "hand-holding" because you still have to aim at your target to hit them. 

To be honest, MoP fire mage in WoW was hardest of all the gameplay variations i have seen and was incredibly fun. But generally out of all the other gameplay systems i have seen, that is the only one that i would prefer over action based combat, and its possible that one day i will see a character in action combat game that will be better than MoP fire mage.