Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Computer Case Consulting

Urahara

Hello Crowfall fellows,

I got big interested in Computer Cases, and so I know a bit about that stuff.

So if you need advise chosing a Computer Case, you can ask here if you like.

After EverQuest Next is gone, its Star Citizen for me.

Choosing a case is simple: If you're not sure what case to get, get a Corsair. They're excellent cases, and far easier than any other brand for a novice PC builder to work with.

Official "Bad Person" of Crowfall

"I think 1/3rd of my postcount is telling people that we aren't turning into a PvE / casual / broad audience game." -

Tully

Corsair really isnt that good.

The cases are often not good quality and the prices are always very high.

There are much better cases at lower prices on the market.

Of course the over 170 Dollar super high prices cases of corsair arent bad, but thats to be expected.

I think it isnt worth it, if you dont got money lying around you dont need.

In fact the Computer-Cases offer the most variety in terms of parts you need for a PC.

I could show a few exemplars at certain price points which I could recommend if anybody is interested.

Edited by Urahara

Personally, i just go for ones with good air take and exhaust & good looks. Got zalman z11, quality of metarial is very bad, and placement of fans was very bad (opened the panels and turned fans to otherside). But overall im happy, its very cheap, has alot of air intakes and exhauses, comes with weak but not bad fans, has dust filters and so on.

I think you chose this case because you search a solid case at a fair price point.

Thats my approach as well.

This case wouldnt be my favorite however, for some reasons.

This NZXT case is very open for dust in the back and the top.

The dust filter at the bottom is just a cheap mesh element, thats not state of the art.

The case got a nice design feature inside the case, but lacks funtional features for this.

The case comes with only 2 x 12 cm fans, at a similar price other cases got 3 x 12 cm fans included.

You dont got any option to install an optical drive (DVD, Blu-ray) inside of the case, thats for a Midi-Tower Case unreasonable, because there is always enough room for at least 2 optical drives in a Midi-Tower case.

At this price range I can show you some cases i would recommend to you.

Thermaltake Urban S31 / S41

Got the potential to become the major case at a fair price point where great value meets fair price.

Got 2 x 12cm fans included.

Got noise dampening material and a frontdoor.

All openings of the case are filtered, the top filter being a mesh element plus a textile filter under it.

The I/O Ports are at the front.

Aerocool Aero-1000

Got also the potential to become the major case at a fair price point where great value meets fair price.

Got 3 x 12cm fans included.

All openings of the case are filtered, the top filter being a plastic element filter, not a textile filter.

The I/O Ports are on top.

Lancool First Knight Series PC-K59

A very nice case too.

Only missing a filter in the top.

Got 2 x 14cm Fan in the front and 1 x 12cm Fan in the rear.

LanCool is a subsidiary of Lian Li.

Zalman R1

The Zalman R1 Computer Case is probably the best case you can get at its price.

If you really want an inexpensive but still nice case as much possible for a low price point the Zalman R1 is unbeatable.

Got 3 x 12cm fans included.

The I/O Ports are on top.

Best value at its price you can find.

Bitfenix Shinobi

This used to be the best value case a few years ago, but its a bit outdated today.

However its not a bad choice still.

InWin 503

A design case, you could say.

I like it very much, but it got thermal solution/ventilation option only in the front and rear.

Personally I prefer the Thermaltake Urban S31 / S41.

Because it got fine textile filters at all openings of the case, almost no dust can get inside of the case.

Due to the noise dampening material and a frontdoor it should be a bit more quiet than the others.

I also prefer having the I/O Ports at the front.

But I also like the Aerocool Aero-1000 very much, its a great case too.

Please let me know what you think of these and if you got any further questions.

Also I would suggest that you wait to get a new PC until next year if you can, because then much better hardware will be available.

Edited by Urahara

I dont get the bagging on Corsair cases...their cases are pretty f'ing nice for the money.

the $69 mid tower with the usb3.0 front is prolly a good all around choice.

maybe the euro price/choices are dif, but stateside corsair cases are great bang 4 buck.

Know me and fear me. My embrace is for all and is patient but sure. The dead can always find you. My hand is everywhere - there is no door I cannot pass, nor guardian who can withstand me.

694a6f04-03a1-4af3-8e11-ddd1baa87348.jpg

I dont get the bagging on Corsair cases...their cases are pretty f'ing nice for the money.

the $69 mid tower with the usb3.0 front is prolly a good all around choice.

maybe the euro price/choices are dif, but stateside corsair cases are great bang 4 buck.

Which case are you referring to?

ok i dont do led lights...but thats a great case for a budget or mid price range build

Know me and fear me. My embrace is for all and is patient but sure. The dead can always find you. My hand is everywhere - there is no door I cannot pass, nor guardian who can withstand me.

Ok, sure.

Thats actually perfect as an example to make it easy comprehensible what I mean.

Because the Corsair Graphite Series 230T and the Aerocool Aero-1000 are very similar for obvious reasons.

So lets compare these 2, shall we?

I just gonna point out the differences of the 2, to make it short and clear, because they are very similar.

Reasons to buy the Corsair Graphite Series 230T:

5.25” Drive Bays:

Corsair got 3, Aerocool got 2.

Reasons to buy the Aerocool Aero-1000:

Front:

The air filter is seperate from the front mesh element and very easy accessable.

Top:

The Corsair got no top cover and no air filter. Thats really not appreciated.

The Aero-1000 got a high quality top cover with an easy accessable air filter.

Side:

The sidepanels of the Corsair are thin and not high quality.

The sidepanels of the Aero-1000 are robust and solid, good quality.

Bottom:

The Corsair got an unfiltered Bottom opening for an air intake fan. Thats really totally not appreciated.

The Corsair stands on small, very low quality feet. This doesnt allow the PSU a good air intake, problems are to be expected for sure on carpets.

Together with the open bottom of the case, this makes the Corsair unusable for/on carpet floors.

The Aero-1000 stands on high quality feet, allowing a perfect airflow without any problems.

3.5” Drive Bays:

The Corsair got a capacity of 4 total.

The Aero-1000 got a capacity of 5 total.

2.5” Drive Bays:

The Aero-1000 got a capacity of 7 total.

2.5” + 3.5” Drive Bays:

Corsair 4 total.

Aerocool 7 total.

Isolation:

The Corsair got no isolation for the PSU and got no isolation for the Drive Bays.

The Aero-1000 got isolation for the PSU and got isolation for the Drive Bays.

Price:

The Corsair Graphite Series 230T costs here 75,24 € minimum.

The Aerocool Aero-1000 costs here 64,99 € minimum.

Edited by Urahara

Ok, sure.

Thats actually perfect as an example to make it easy comprehensible what I mean.

Because the Corsair Graphite Series 230T and the Aerocool Aero-1000 are very similar for obvious reasons.

So lets compare these 2, shall we?

I just gonna point out the differences of the 2, to make it short and clear, because they are very similar.

Reasons to buy the Corsair Graphite Series 230T:

5.25” Drive Bays:

Corsair got 3, Aerocool got 2.

Reasons to buy the Aerocool Aero-1000:

Front:

The air filter is seperate from the front mesh element and very easy accessable.

Top:

Side:

Bottom:

The Corsair got an unfiltered Bottom opening for an air intake fan. Thats really totally not appreciated.

The Corsair stands on small, very low quality feet. This doesnt allow the PSU a good air intake, problems are to be expected for sure on carpets.

Together with the open bottom of the case, this makes the Corsair unusable for/on carpet floors.

The Aero-1000 stands on high quality feet, allowing a perfect airflow without any problems.

3.5” Drive Bays:

2.5” Drive Bays:

2.5” + 3.5” Drive Bays:

Corsair 4 total.

Aerocool 7 total.

Isolation:

The Corsair got no isolation for the PSU and got no isolation for the Drive Bays.

Price:

You are not even comparing cases that are similiar to each other...

Well these two cases get very often compared with each other from "professional" case review websites, because they are very similar obviously.

And I really thought over what you said.  and tried to overthink my point of view.

But I still cant see your point, I am honestly really sorry.

If you dont want to add reasoning to your opinion, then I kinda get the impression you just dont like to read what I wrote, but got argumentation for your opinion.

I have to say the result of the comparisons of the case review websites are all speaking the same language too, and prefer the Aerocool Aero-1000 very much in regard to the Corsair Graphite Series 230T.

So yeah, honestly, I am sorry if I am missing an important point I might not be able to see at the moment, which is obviously to be seen from your point of view.

I would appreciate it if you could help me there if thats so.

Front:

you tap the front pnl of the corsair and the front unclicks exposing the filter tray. pick it, go blow it out n put it back and click the pnl n place...non point

Top:

I don't want air flow restriction on the way out of the case... sooooo top filter bad...mkay

that I remove.

Side:

pffft there both 1/8 inch metal sides...non point

Bottom:

not true the filter is on a slide tray under the psu

I'll give you the half inch height dif between the two...the feet aren't "low quality"

3.5” Drive Bays:

2.5” Drive Bays:

2.5” + 3.5” Drive Bays:

Corsair 4 total.

Aerocool 7 total.

You do notice the gap in the corsairs drives is where someone would put say....A BIG ASS VIDEO CARD? I think they wagered that ppl would rather have room for their amd radeon noobblaster voodoo 3000 then a cpl of drive slots.

Isolation:

As a guy with a electronics degree, State of Texas certified journeyman electrician, A+ cert, and overall 20 years of cpu building experience this isn't just a non point it complete bunk...isolation...lol

Price:

final point

In actuality both cases serve a purpose. both are mid towers, single psu cases with 2 fans on top, 1 in back, and 2 up front. both have 2 usb ports and power button  towards the top n front of case. The aerocool has more drive bays and has 1 cm more room underneath. The corsair has LED's on the front fans(for ppl who like such things) The tighter mesh on the aerocool top n front look a little nicer, but functually the larger holes in the corsair allow for more airflow. Both are similar in quality, fit n finish....I'd buy which ever one was on sale...unless I hade a giant bad ass vid card...then corsair.

In all seriousness op, if you are set on a mid tower.

Here are solid choices.

1- Corsair 450D. This is the smaller version of the 750D. 

http://www.corsair.com/en-us/obsidian-series-450d-mid-tower-pc-case

2- 600T- Another solid choice. This is again a smaller version of a good case

http://www.corsair.com/en-us/graphite-series-600t

3- 330R - A quiet case. http://www.corsair.com/en-us/carbide-series-330r-quiet-mid-tower-case

I looked at all of the above cases, but their bigger brothers. I ended up buying the 750D. Lets not even forget how good Corsair customer support is. This is a big reason why I picked them. Usually when I have issues or concerns, I have heard back from then from 2 hours to 8 hours. 

It is also hard to argue against Corsair when almost everyone here has vouched for them. However, if you insist on going away from Corsair, then why are you asking for options? It sounds like you know what you are doing...

Edited by Handies

In all seriousness op, if you are set on a mid tower.

Here are solid choices.

1- Corsair 450D. This is the smaller version of the 750D. 

http://www.corsair.com/en-us/obsidian-series-450d-mid-tower-pc-case

2- 600T- Another solid choice. This is again a smaller version of a good case

http://www.corsair.com/en-us/graphite-series-600t

3- 330R - A quiet case. http://www.corsair.com/en-us/carbide-series-330r-quiet-mid-tower-case

I looked at all of the above cases, but their bigger brothers. I ended up buying the 750D. Lets not even forget how good Corsair customer support is. This is a big reason why I picked them. Usually when I have issues or concerns, I have heard back from then from 2 hours to 8 hours. 

It is also hard to argue against Corsair when almost everyone here has vouched for them. However, if you insist on going away from Corsair, then why are you asking for options? It sounds like you know what you are doing...

Seriously, you are working for Corsair right?

Dont forget to tell them to order their golden Corsair bling bling necklace, to show everbody what brave Corsair fanboys they are.

Front:

you tap the front pnl of the corsair and the front unclicks exposing the filter tray. pick it, go blow it out n put it back and click the pnl n place...non point

I was mentioning this as a difference to the Corsair, because at the Corsair the textile dustfilter is included in the Mesh element, at Aerocool they are separate elements.

Top:

I don't want air flow restriction on the way out of the case... sooooo top filter bad...mkay

that I remove.

Yes, thats your freedom you have with the Aerocool, but not with the Corsair.

Actually 99,99% of the people will use the dustfilter and be glad about to have it.

Because what you are saying makes no sense, the airflow wont be restricted in a significant manner.

Actually the Corsair 450D, the other Corsair fanboy mentioned, got the same airfilter solution, only that this Corsair case costs 159 € and the Aerocool costs 65 €.

So yeah, you are just bluffing nonsense, because the high end Corsair cases got this feature, but the normal price Corsair cases dont, and the Aerocool case which is even lower price than normal Corsair case got this feature.

If you would really be this concerned about airflow-restriction you should get an open air frame/case.

http://www.inwin-style.com/de/goods.php?cid=212

Corsair is advertising the 450D for its low air flow restriction, having this same air filter solution, by the way.

Side:

pffft there both 1/8 inch metal sides...non point

I cant prove this myself because I dont got these cases here.

It is what is said in professional reviews of the cases, which are the most important websites for case reviews.

Bottom:

not true the filter is on a slide tray under the psu

Yes it is true.

Behind the PSU opening for air intake is a second opening for air intake, which is unfiltered, its just open.

I'll give you the half inch height dif between the two...the feet aren't "low quality"

Yes thanks, but if you would have competed about this aspect too, it wouldnt even have been worth anwering your post.

The feet of the Corsair case are low quality, because they are a cheap solution, its not done because of quality but price.

3.5” Drive Bays:

2.5” Drive Bays:

2.5” + 3.5” Drive Bays:

Corsair 4 total.

Aerocool 7 total.

You do notice the gap in the corsairs drives is where someone would put say....A BIG bottom VIDEO CARD? I think they wagered that ppl would rather have room for their amd radeon noobblaster voodoo 3000 then a cpl of drive slots.

Yes sir... . Actually this is called a modular hard drive cage, you know mister "electronics degree, State of Texas certified journeyman electrician, A+ cert, and overall 20 years of cpu building experience".

You can just get the upper hard drive cage out, so you can install your oversized Nvidia fanboy video card.

Its freedom of choice, but serious. Didnt you really know about modular hard drive cages, or were you just anticipating the Aerocool case couldnt have such a feature at such a low price, which is at Corsair only to be seen in over 150 USD cases?!

Isolation:

As a guy with a electronics degree, State of Texas certified journeyman electrician, A+ cert, and overall 20 years of cpu building experience this isn't just a non point it complete bunk...isolation...lol

Yeah, actually all the high quality cases got this feature.

Corsair too, but not at this price point, only the over 150 USD Corsair cases got this.

And all professional case reviewers take this as a negative point.

Price:

final point

In actuality both cases serve a purpose. both are mid towers, single psu cases with 2 fans on top, 1 in back, and 2 up front. both have 2 usb ports and power button  towards the top n front of case. The aerocool has more drive bays and has 1 cm more room underneath. The corsair has LED's on the front fans(for ppl who like such things) The tighter mesh on the aerocool top n front look a little nicer, but functually the larger holes in the corsair allow for more airflow. Both are similar in quality, fit n finish....I'd buy which ever one was on sale...unless I hade a giant bad bottom vid card...then corsair.

Edited by Urahara