Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Krogar

Books (fantasy)

Ok , i started reading 6 years ago after a long time just ignoring books, it started with the Hobbit but since then i have read alot. 

The latest books i have read are the Malazan books (6/10 atm)  

The books i have enjoyed the most are 'The Stormlight Archive' books  by Brandon Sanderson Can't wait to see read the next one.

I have 11 books waiting to be read , from 'The Conan chronicles' all the way to the first 2 books of the 'King killer' series  with some Goodkind & Hobb along the way. 

Just wanted to know if there are any other series i should be looking at reading in the coming years. 

Let me know your favourite and maybe an over view ...Thank you :) 

Read: Wheel of time 1-14, Sword of truth 0-11 ( have the 1st con and severed souls to read) Malazan 1-6 (out of 10) , Mistborn 1-3, Stormlight 1-2 and some trash by Richard A Knaak !

2pt54j8.jpg

The books i have enjoyed the most are 'The Stormlight Archive' books  by Brandon Sanderson Can't wait to see read the next one.

Better than Games of Thrones imo. Brandon Sanderson is my favorite writer.

ZCcquVD.png

THE most active European Crowfall community. Join us now!

For some reason I really, really enjoyed The Wheel of Time (actually gone over the entire series of doorstoppers 3 or 4 times), despite Jordans clothing fetish and sometimes weird style of writing, and also despite the fact that about 80% of the cast are really punchworthy douchenozzles. And then there is Egwene, one of the most punchable characters in literature history.

Also liked Trudi Canavans "Kyralia series", especially the magic system she used in them with mages casting spells essentially from hit points and turning into pocket nukes when killed (or not so "pocket" if the mage in question was powerful enough).

Constant optimism will not solve your problems,

but it will annoy enough people to be worth the effort.

Brandon Sanderson is probably the best writer in Fantasy. He did what Robert Jordan could not-bring the most drawn out series of all time to a conclusion.

You are so incredibly helpful, CYT. I don't know how I ever managed to do anything before we met. I was just bumbling my way through life, all lost-like. Thank you. My blessing cup runneth over.

SWrkfdj.jpg

Brandon Sanderson is probably the best writer in Fantasy. He did what Robert Jordan could not-bring the most drawn out series of all time to a conclusion.

Best is saying a lot, no?

PFq3vWQ.png

If you dont know me by now I tend to say a lot.

You are so incredibly helpful, CYT. I don't know how I ever managed to do anything before we met. I was just bumbling my way through life, all lost-like. Thank you. My blessing cup runneth over.

SWrkfdj.jpg

Most of what you posted is relatively new. Some of the older fantasy is still the best IMO... try reading some Roger Zelazny or Guy Gavriel Kay.

"The Lies of Locke Lamora" is an excellent bit of more modern fantasy along the lines of what you've posted. Also try the Night Angel trilogy.

Official "Bad Person" of Crowfall

"I think 1/3rd of my postcount is telling people that we aren't turning into a PvE / casual / broad audience game." -

Tully

If you want to try branching out into SF a little, highly recommend Iain Banks (the Culture books, Im not really a fan of his mainstream). Also Hannu Rajaniemi's Quantum Thief.

Edited by Alyriel

PFq3vWQ.png

Wow, i didn't id get as much feed back as this. 

2 of my favorite book series:

"The Sword of Truth" series by Terry Goodkind

"Spellsinger" series by Alan Dean Foster

I read all of the 'sword of truth' books including 'Debt of bones' and 'The third kingdom' and have 'The first confessor' and 'Severed souls' still to read. Loved his style early on in the series but just over half way he want in to a pseudo political rant that almost made me stop reading.As for the Spellsinger i was looking at the cover in a book store the other day but had gone in for Brandon Sandersons 'Eantris'. Whats the gist of the spellsinger book/books ?

Most of what you posted is relatively new. Some of the older fantasy is still the best IMO... try reading some Roger Zelazny or Guy Gavriel Kay.

"The Lies of Locke Lamora" is an excellent bit of more modern fantasy along the lines of what you've posted. Also try the Night Angel trilogy.

All in good time, I have alot of bits and bats to finish up first but i very much so look forward to new writers work (even if its older work). 

I would have to agree but then again i have not read all the books out there. His style and pace (for me) makes his work stand out. His female charters are both interesting and well rounded emotionally not to mention strong. 

2pt54j8.jpg

Try the Kingkiller Chronicles. Start with Name of the Wind.

I have both of the books sat on my fantasy book shelf gathering dust as a slowly grind through Steven Erikson's 'Malazan book of the Fallen' series, just got on to book six yesterday and have a week off work so should finish it. They (kingkiller) have been recommended to me over and over again. I will let you know what i think in the future.

2pt54j8.jpg

If you want to try branching out into SF a little, highly recommend Iain Banks (the Culture books, Im not really a fan of his mainstream). Also Hannu Rajaniemi's Quantum Thief.

Not read any SF but my brothers father in law is the coolest 70yr old i have ever met, he loves whisky and SF books. He told me to start with the Isaac Asimov 'I robot' books. My friend also recommended 'Quantum thief' so my buy it to start out a new book self. 

Thank you for the suggestions.

2pt54j8.jpg

For some reason I really, really enjoyed The Wheel of Time (actually gone over the entire series of doorstoppers 3 or 4 times), despite Jordans clothing fetish and sometimes weird style of writing, and also despite the fact that about 80% of the cast are really punchworthy douchenozzles. And then there is Egwene, one of the most punchable characters in literature history.

Also liked Trudi Canavans "Kyralia series", especially the magic system she used in them with mages casting spells essentially from hit points and turning into pocket nukes when killed (or not so "pocket" if the mage in question was powerful enough).

I just wanted Rand to die for 99% of the books and Lan to kill every thing. Matt made me so mad until book 10ish where strangly i started to hate Perrin Aybara.

** Spoiler alert**   Lan vs the Myrddraal ...epic. 

Shall add Trudi Canavans to the list , Thank you for your suggestion. 

2pt54j8.jpg

Wow, i didn't id get as much feed back as this. 

I read all of the 'sword of truth' books including 'Debt of bones' and 'The third kingdom' and have 'The first confessor' and 'Severed souls' still to read. Loved his style early on in the series but just over half way he want in to a pseudo political rant that almost made me stop reading.As for the Spellsinger i was looking at the cover in a book store the other day but had gone in for Brandon Sandersons 'Eantris'. Whats the gist of the spellsinger book/books ?

The main character is a college student that gets high, then wakes up in a fantasy world. Later he discovers that his talents of singing and playing guitar from his own world translate into magical powers in this new world. Now he's trying to find a way back home. It has some very colorful characters and good humor. It's a good read, and throws you right into the thick of the story in Chapter 1. 

OS_Sig3.png