Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Verot

3 Character Limit

I briefly searched for a topic related to this one and found none (1% effort into search)

Maybe it is just me but I really don't understand the whole 3 character limit. With 13 archtypes currently announced I find this very restrictive. I understand that a lot of the character building is done passively which will in turn limit the number of characters that you can level but over time this will only force players to purchase additional accounts simply to explore the other archtypes.

It may have been mentioned that part of the cash shop will be the ability to purchase additional character slots (I know some packages include a +3) but has there been any mention of the total cap for each account? While I don't expect them to allow me to train 6 characters or more at a time (VIP allows 3 characters to be trained at once) the ability to have additional characters/alts is something I like, especially once I have capped or nearly capped a main.

Just my 2 cents.

Edited by Verot

Maximum character slots per account (based on current info) is 6.

With that said, thinking of alts as something to do once you've "capped your main" is the wrong way to think about Crowfall.

The core game loop in many games, especially diku-based games like WoW, is very much about character development. Once you're done developing a character, there isn't much game left, which is why there's a constant cycle of expansion and mudflation in such games.

Crowfall has a completely different motivation model. You don't play Crowfall to make your character better (and in fact, there's very little of "making your character better" to be done anyway except by the passage of time.) Instead, you play Crowfall to play Crowfall.

If you're enjoying playing Crowfall and you find that a particular character suits your playstyle over an extended period of time, it would seem very odd to think that that character would stop being fun when his skills have finally reached their caps.

Edited by Jihan

Official "Bad Person" of Crowfall

"I think 1/3rd of my postcount is telling people that we aren't turning into a PvE / casual / broad audience game." -

Tully

It is not about playing alts once you have capped your main.  It is about playing the game from a different point of view.  I have always enjoyed playing each class of an MMO, provided the game is worth playing to begin with.  

I am with the OP in this.  More slots is better than less

If you want to try out more archetypes, you can still delete ones you don't need. I never understood altoholism, maybe because I lack the free time to develop more than one or two characters, not thirteen. I prefer a few meaningful characters.

What's to stop you from having 2 mains and using the other 4 slots to try the other archetypes you're missing? You can only passively train 3 slots (with VIP), so even then there's 3 toons that are doing absolutely nothing that you could try. There's no leveling, so it's not going to take you that long to try out a new character.

It is not about playing alts once you have capped your main.

When the OP says "the ability to have additional characters/alts is something I like, especially once I have capped or nearly capped a main", that kind of suggests that it is indeed at least somewhat about playing alts once you have capped your main, if by "it" you mean "the subject we are talking about in this thread".

Official "Bad Person" of Crowfall

"I think 1/3rd of my postcount is telling people that we aren't turning into a PvE / casual / broad audience game." -

Tully

this is not a moba where you need to "own all champs"

I would like to be able to experience each class to their fullest, I dont think of Crowfall as a MOBA at all.

If you want to try out more archetypes, you can still delete ones you don't need. I never understood altoholism, maybe because I lack the free time to develop more than one or two characters, not thirteen. I prefer a few meaningful characters.

Just throw away months of work completing a character just to play another and have a different experience? I'm not a big fan of throwing away character experience especially when it is derived from passive training and I can't play catch up. IF and its a really BIG IF, they let us roll all time spent on one character into another then sure I'll delete and go with something else. I honestly don't see this happening for a number of reasons, flavor of the month etc etc etc. The point is those characters have value. Even with the game not coming out until the end of 2016, I highly doubt even the early testers will have full knowledge of all the archtypes. 

When the OP says "the ability to have additional characters/alts is something I like, especially once I have capped or nearly capped a main", that kind of suggests that it is indeed at least somewhat about playing alts once you have capped your main, if by "it" you mean "the subject we are talking about in this thread".

You are correct, I do mean once I have finished a character. I have 0 desire to try and compete with a partially completed character when I have another who I am fully familiar with. While I typically have a pretty solid idea of the character I want to play at launch, things change and I like the experience of trying new things. Don't forget that the devs have said it is entirely possible to "break" your character because of the amount of control they are giving us. Even with a single archtype you may end up with multiple highly divergent play styles. Have alts is a way to fully experience this.

I understand this is a new game style, one which I fully appreciate. Even if on WoW I was limited to 5 characters (?) during vanilla, I could easily have alts on other servers. Yes I know there is a give and take and that choices matter, I'm just hoping that I'm not ostensibly locked out of certain aspects of the game without having to throw away months of character development.

Perhaps I'm making a bigger issues of this than I should, with 2 accounts I could have 12 of the archtypes. It depends on how much they plan on charging for an additional character slot.

Edited by Verot

What other MMO's allows you to play every single race/class combo on one account?

Let me answer that, none.

Um, most of them to be honest lol? What game doesn't? What games have you played that restrict that?

I have a ton of alts in every game and always at least two that are "max level" if not more, while the rest of my character slots are filled with alts in various states of leveling. But I can't think of a game where I didn't use every character slot and even then, I find it's not enough and I have to delete lower level characters I haven't had the time to play just because I want to try something else. In Black Desert before the merge into a mega server, I actually made alts on other servers just so I could get free extra characters. You had limited slots but if you had characters already existing they would just merge them. 

Anyway I agree with OP, I enjoy various playstyles and already I see a few Archetypes in Crowfall that I would enjoy. It doesn't matter how much or how little effort needs to go into developing your character, how much fun you have on your main, etc.. Sometimes you have an equal amount of fun on another character and are just in the mood to play it. I'd like that option.

Edited by Leiloni

I quite like to experiment, and would pay for more slots. Of course, I suppose I could open multiple accounts, but that shouldn't be the work around.

Agreed. I shouldn't have to buy the game twice just to play more characters. That just sounds greedy of ACE to force us to do that, and unnecessarily limiting. I honestly think there should be a slot for every archetype just in case people want to try them all. Why not let them? Especially when you consider that a lot of games only have per server character slots of 8-12 for most games, but the account wide slots are typically pretty massive.

Edited by Leiloni

What other MMO's allows you to play every single race/class combo on one account?

Let me answer that, none.

uh yeah as said most MMOS don't have a limit in total. Only limits that usually exist are per server.  With Crowfall not having the usual server realm based structure they need to account for that, IMO. They would still have the one character per CW rule in place, but no real reason I see to not let players make at least as many archetypes as there are.

From a competitive perspective, playing as an archetype gives you better insight into how that archetype plays, allowing you to better fight it in the future. Thus, the more archetypes that you have played at a high-level, the better your understanding of the game is, and the better you can counteract the strengths and play-styles of your opponents.

Limiting the amount of archetypes that you can progress and use at any one time becomes a significant barrier to acquiring such experience, especially when branching choices, such as promotion classes, are permanent, and progression is passive and time-based.

Edited by Raizex

Um, most of them to be honest lol? What game doesn't? What games have you played that restrict that?

I have a ton of alts in every game and always at least two that are "max level" if not more, while the rest of my character slots are filled with alts in various states of leveling. But I can't think of a game where I didn't use every character slot and even then, I find it's not enough and I have to delete lower level characters I haven't had the time to play just because I want to try something else. In Black Desert before the merge into a mega server, I actually made alts on other servers just so I could get free extra characters. You had limited slots but if you had characters already existing they would just merge them. 

Anyway I agree with OP, I enjoy various playstyles and already I see a few Archetypes in Crowfall that I would enjoy. It doesn't matter how much or how little effort needs to go into developing your character, how much fun you have on your main, etc.. Sometimes you have an equal amount of fun on another character and are just in the mood to play it. I'd like that option.

So you are saying theres MMO's with 13+ character slots?

Wich MMO's are these?

uh yeah as said most MMOS don't have a limit in total. Only limits that usually exist are per server.  With Crowfall not having the usual server realm based structure they need to account for that, IMO. They would still have the one character per CW rule in place, but no real reason I see to not let players make at least as many archetypes as there are.

This is actually a good point.

Most MMO's put limitations on how many chars you can have per server, and CF does not have traditional servers.

IMO, I dont care if CF has 1 char slot, or 13 as I will only be playing 1 Archetype.

Edited by zinnie