Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Swiftly

Fletching

Arcane Archery got me thinking.  I really hope that Fletching is a crafting option in CF.  And I hope it is a specific craft only available to Rangers and Stalkers.  It should be something that can be done in the wild and not restricted to a crafting station.

If Fletching is a thing I hope that the type of arrow being used plays a significant role in combat such as range, speed and the damage type you do.

Arcane type damage should be attainable but should be very expensive and difficult to obtain.

Thoughts?

My issue is requiring arrows. Other ranged classes like magic users will always have their abilities available. If we are asked to carry ammo in a game where equipment drops on death, that could cause issues.

Maybe have a fletched or crafted arrow slot where you place the type if arrows in the slot. If you craft a flaming arrow mold you put that in the slot and you fire flaming arrows. If you want to fire arcane arrows, equip the arcane mold etc?

Kloke

Shadowbane / Server: War / Guild: DHL / Thief: Yin / Scout: Plexiglassdragon

A bit of a necro, but just to clarify: finite ammo is in.

It'd certainly be a huge waste to not allow for a variety of interesting arrow types, though the interface for switching between them in combat seems challenging to design.

People always complain about archers carrying ammo. I've never run out of ammo in a game, and i'd never run into anyone in an MMO that has either. Its simply something you have to consider when playing a given class. I do however endorse the fact that ammo should either be crafted (best solution), or super cheap to acquire. 

Sneak home and pray you'll never know the hell where youth and laughter go.

Obsidian-ForumSignature.jpg

People always complain about archers carrying ammo. I've never run out of ammo in a game, and i'd never run into anyone in an MMO that has either. Its simply something you have to consider when playing a given class. I do however endorse the fact that ammo should either be crafted (best solution), or super cheap to acquire. 

I don't see the problem with ammo either.

I used to play Ragnarok Online and the archer class had to carry ammo, but it had a huge advantage over other classes because of the element mechanics, only by changing the type of the arrow you could deal a lot more damage to different type of monster, while other classes would have to adquire a different weapon with X element type or be dependant of another class (sages could imbue weapons with different elements).

So yes, you had the upside down of beeing ammo dependant but you also had the advantage of choosing what ammo to equip to deal more damage easily.

I see that the same can happen in crowfall, we know already that there is at least 2 types of arrow's head, which inflicts different type of damage, I guess for different types of armor.

This making a simple switch of ammo to be able to deal with different types of armor, while other archetype would need a whole different weapon specialized in that.

And if you die, loosing ammo will not be that big of a problem, but beeing dependant of having different weapons all the time when you die it is a problem, so there is advantages and disadvantages on having ammo.

It adds an element of realism to the game, and knowing that arrows are finite that simply means that you will have to make sure you are prepared before you leave.  I must admit though I really hope that you will not need some kind of crafting station to craft new arrows, and I hope that the materials to craft the simplest arrows are relatively easy to find.  With full loot your not going to want to be carrying around huge loads of arrows with you, I'm thinking a variety of many different kinds would be best.  But if you do get taken out and lose the lot I really hope that its relatively simple to remake some in the wilderness.

Lf6MJUL.png

Wrathmane - Remnant of Ascendance

+1 for Ammo!

Fletching and bowmaking should be a general knowledge skill tree. You don't have to know how to shoot them to make them.

But rangers and stalkers should be able to exceed all other archetypes at both making and shooting arrows.

Edited by chancellor

I think the K-Mart of MMO's already exists!  And it ain't us!   :)