Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Zim

What Type Of Restealth Mechanic Would You Like To See?

What Type of Restealth Would You Like To See?  

56 members have voted

1. 1. What type of restealth mechanic would you like to see?

• WoW type vanish?
    • ESO type cloak?
    • GW2 type combat triggered?
    • Other

ACE has already confirmed that they are looking at a more perma stealth model for the mechanic in their game. What I don't think is clear is the infamoust "restealth." How do you suppose/prefer they approach this?

1. WoW type 'vanish' on a cooldown

2. ESO type short 'cloak' with no cooldown

3. GW2 type stealth triggered by an ability

I'm personally a fan of the way ESO implemented their restealth mechanic on nightblades, but not their stealth mechanic overall. Thoughts?

Edited by Zim

9e58b2ae2f9ac9f2904b5d4c33b609bb92d1a174

"Sharp alone, deadly together."

I read an interview or Q&A somewhere where I believe they said they wanted you to be able to restealth, but didn't really want you doing it when you were getting your face smashed in.  Seems like they are tending towards something like WoW without Vanish - you need to be "out of combat", or it could work something like Shadowbane where it takes a bit to stealth so you can't do it while people are beating you.

I believe we may be talking about the same interview. It's one of those things that's going to be tricky to balance, and I'm interested to see how they do so. I think the assassin, stealthy types should be able to get in and out of certain situations fairly quickly using stealth, but it should also not be as simple as spamming a button until you're out of there. ESO has the closest thing to what I'm talking about, but it still could use some love.

Given how much they spoke about the Stamina bar in the combat chats I am guessing it will be close to the ESO style.  Which I am completely ok with.  Moving in stealth should have some negatives to it, slower movement, loss of stamina etc.  But I also hope they allow shadows and night time to play a role in stealth also.

Given how much they spoke about the Stamina bar in the combat chats I am guessing it will be close to the ESO style.  Which I am completely ok with.  Moving in stealth should have some negatives to it, slower movement, loss of stamina etc.  But I also hope they allow shadows and night time to play a role in stealth also.

I agree! The problem with ESO stealth was that you didn't really lose anything by using it. If they can balance it out I think it would work perfectly!

ShadowBane blue light special. It's a classic.   ;)

Oh how I wish I knew what you were talking about!

I thought about this some last night, and I think the best way they could implement a successful stealth mechanic is to go with an ESO style, but add a CD so that it can't be spammed. This gives them a balance between having a stealth mechanic that can be used on command to get out of a situation, but it can't be abused as it is in other games. I think a 3-5 sec cooldown would suffice.

Edited by Zim

I thought about this some last night, and I think the best way they could implement a successful stealth mechanic is to go with an ESO style, but add a CD so that it can't be spammed. This gives them a balance between having a stealth mechanic that can be used on command to get out of a situation, but it can't be abused as it is in other games. I think a 3-5 sec cooldown would suffice.

If you add a cooldown then you better make the effect last longer than 2.5 seconds.  

I agree with this. Shadows and night playing a role would be perfect as well as having a cool down as already stated. or maybe like in Neverwinter they actually had a stealth bar that would drain could work too. 

None. If you're dumb enough to put yourself in a bad situation, you better finish it. How many assassins in history got away with just throwing on a cloak and waltzing out. You already had the ability to get in undetected, can't expect the game to everything for you. When there is no one left to see you escape, then you can go back to the shadows of obscurity. Till then, if someone has eyes on you, you're not stealthy, you're obvious

Cooldown, proximity to enemy targets, and reduced movement speed (trainable up to a certain level to reduce Cooldown and movement reduction only). I wouldn't mind if there was some blinding mechanic that could be used on a long Cooldown to either keep pressure on your target with another backstab or to give you time to disengage but please no vanish mechanic.

What would be ideal is a more restrictive stealth that isn't just invisibility.  What I'd like to see is a simple hide ability paired with a sneak ability.  Basically, when you don't move, you can't be seen (though this would be based on levels of proficiency vs. the "find" proficiency of others and proximity).  It would apply a low stamina bleed, making it impossible to do so indefinitely yet possible to do so for an extended period for a loss of stamina.  When you move, you're visually detectable though still concealed (a status that makes you translucent), are silent (also proficiency and proximity based) and move at a reduced speed.  This would also include a stamina bleed, though at a higher rate than hide.  Hide/move silently could only be used out of combat so there would no such thing as a vanish ability--no cool down required.

In short, stealth would have two types--hide (more potent yet immobile) and sneak (less potent but mobile), only usable out of combat for stamina cost and have no cooldown.   

EDIT:  I'm not suggesting there are two separate abilities on the hotbar (hide and sneak) as there could be a seamless transition between one and the other (though they could potentially level in the skill tree separately).  Hit the button out of combat, you're stealthed (hiding), start to move and you transition into sneak.  Stop, and your back to hide again.   

Edited by Regulus

The Artist Formerly Known as Regulus

The only stealth i ever liked in a game is Heroes of the Storm, you are invisible but it's not perfect, if people play attention they might be able to see the air 'flikering'.

But i think that for a game like this a 'camaleon' type stealth would be better

I would love if to re-stealth you need stay out sight of enemies. Like 5 secs or something, that way it still fit with the hide skill and it is hard to do mid-battle unless your allies take the attention from you.

A small buff or skill for ambush would be welcome too. It would require planning to bring the enemy close enough without moving.

EDIT: Can we chrouch right now? It is important to me to be capable of doing this small things. Of course, sneaking (not necessary the skill) is also included.

Edited by BarriaKarl

I'm personally a fan of the way ESO implemented their restealth mechanic on nightblades, but not their stealth mechanic overall. Thoughts?

ESO cloak was in my opinion worst restealth solution i ever saw in MMO:

1. Before one of recent updates, it could be used to stun* mobs. Even raid bosses.

2. It was inconsistent and unreliable: half time you could dodge never-miss attacks**, half time you could be hit even when you where invisible (not counting AoE, which should still damage you). And there were no way to tell when it would work. 

3. For certain builds it was very, VERY abusive skill. Tagging yourself with bombs going into middle of enemies for instakill chance and walking away invisible abusive.

4. Most important, it wasn't restealth. It was invisibility***. Due to long combat locks, it provides too short window for non-magical assassins for proper restealth. For magical assassins, well mana was not issue to chain that "short" invisibility permanently.

*due to how AI worked for most of game, monster simply stand frozen in place from moment where you popped cloak for whole duration.

**popped last second you could dodge meteor falling on you from sky [not supposed behavior].

***In ESO stealth and invisibility where 2 different things. While invisibility was "stronger" kind of hiding, stealth was needed for certain abilities.

Edited by Vontariel