Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
flex

Player-Driven Content And Pve

A great deal of substantial discussion has flourished on these boards surrounding the dynamic nature of player-generated content as it pertains to PvP encounters, guild warfare, terrain defense, and the politics and intrigue which follows. While most of us are veterans of Shadowbane, Darkfall, and UO to name a few and are drawn to this type of content, there is a subsection of our community from non-PvP backgrounds with a thirst for thrilling PVE encounters, which are normally driven by AI, this discussion is principally for you...

If anyone played the original version of Sony's MMO classic Everquest, they may recall a few specialized servers and projects which popped up during their early years, two which come to mind being the permadeath or Discord server and the other being "Project M"

In "Project M" one could elect to create a new character, which would be a randomized lower-level monster be it a fire beetle, a snake, a lizard man broodling to name a few. See the Project 1999 Wiki Article on it below.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________

"Project M" was an EQ Live event in November, 2001, during the Velious expansion. Also known as MvP (Mob versus Player).

Patch notes

Project M Implemented:

Tonight we have patched something to the PvP servers that many players have been waiting for. The ability to play that gnoll, orc, or the cute and fuzzy rat. On your character select screen you will notice another button in the upper right part of your screen called "Monster". Clicking this button will randomly place you in a low-level NPC in a random zone. You will be given full control of the creature to do with it what you like. You may hunt and kill other creatures. You may even attack other players.

Some things to remember when playing your own personal monster (NPC).

• You will not be able to interact with players or NPC's other than moving and hitting attack.
  • You cannot speak, trade, sell, or do anything else that a player can do.
  • You will spawn with normal loot for the monster you are playing and Player Characters will be able to kill you for loot and experience.
  • If you are a spell casting monster you might want to take a moment to memorize some spells.
  • Once you die, you will return to the character select screen where you may choose to return as another NPC or play your normal character.
  • You may gain experience, levels, and skills as this NPC, but once you die, it is all lost. You will need to start over the next time you choose to be a NPC character.
  • You can't zone as a monster. If you try to cross a zone-boarder you will lose your progress and return to the character-select screen.
  • Monster PCs (MPCs) can not loot, sell, or gain items. They only get what they start out with.

This ability to play a monster is being implemented for PvP servers only as we have no plans to implement non-consensual PvP on a non PvP server.

However, we are still working with this system. We may find other ways to implement Project M on the non-PvP servers that are acceptable. We aren't done looking at the possible uses of this new feature.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________

project-m.png

Personally I'd love to log on and play a bear or goblin for a while and perhaps spice up some PvE with some human ingenuity and randomness, maybe kill some newbs and level up my giant rat in the process XxXmlg1337pokemonXxX style.

http://youtu.be/dv3_5XaSIXI?t=22s

Would you like to see something like Project M within the world of Crowfall? I ask this specifically of people who self-identify as non-PvP Enthusiasts or those who place PvP lower on their list of MMO priorities, but my fellow PvPers feel free to chime in. Discuss!

Edited by flex

b7xcsz.jpg

I think it would be great. It mixes up the content by adding randomness to keep the gameplay from being easily read. It would be nice to have something like this within the game.

I remember doing this with Duck Hunt.  Controlling the duck and having the dog laugh at the other player when they missed amused me greatly.

This mechanic sounds unnecessary if the PvP is to be as fun and essential as people are hoping for, though it seems more like a diversion and a way to mess with other people for the sake of messing with them.  I'm not against it, I just don't see the point.

"Darken the moon and conceal the stars; our Light will never be extinguished." - The Tome of the First Flame

LW_sig_concept_7b_lighter_zpsu0zpsinn.jp

The Lantern Watch - A Crowfall-first guild. Welcome Home. Join us @ http://crowfall.shivtr.com

This sounds... I don't even know what to say, I'm lost for words.

Could be hilarious if implemented though. Just imagine 2 giant guilds fighting each other only to have a swarm of player controlled boars come and stomp everyone.

There's only room for one Boss. And one Snake...

No, I would not.  My hang-up is not wanting to inflict pain on other players.

I figure I should come out and say this, seeing as I encounter a very specific theme with the overwhelming majority of your posts.

Bro, this game isn't going to appeal to you. I'm sorry. The devs were trying to be diplomatic when they said that non-PvPers *can* still play Crofall. There is a huge plethora of titles out there where you can farm strawberries, brush horses, deliver mail, and go AFK anywhere in complete safety, and enjoy fighting monsters driven by AI that won't feel anything you kill them. I'm not talking down to you, I'm not talking ****, but you're basically on a Crossfit or weight training forum stating you don't like exerting yourself physically, you don't like to get sweaty, and take no personal satisfaction from fitness, and restating it over and over again. There's no shame in playing something else, as I said before, the vast majority of the current MMO landscape is perfect for people like you. No, I'm not going to snarkily link you to hello kitty online or something, I just don't understand why, day after day, you're trying to jam your square peg into the round hole of the forum/Crowfall. It isn't going to fit. 

Personally, I hope you at least adopt an open mind and try to enjoy PvP, but I'm not overly optimistic that you will, given some of your earlier commentary.

Edited by flex

b7xcsz.jpg

This sounds... I don't even know what to say, I'm lost for words.

Could be hilarious if implemented though. Just imagine 2 giant guilds fighting each other only to have a swarm of player controlled boars come and stomp everyone.

And the boars would be like "oink oink hehehhehehe" "oink oink oink lol", and then they,ll start humping each other andn strafejumping around.

This is actually one of the more unique and interesting ideas I've seen.  I would absolutely love to see something like this ingame.  It would certainly give me something fun to do when there isn't anyhing big going on like whatever this game's equivalents of mines and banes will be.  Oh, how much I would love to run people down with my level 15 boar in a level 6 zone. 

This is actually one of the more unique and interesting ideas I've seen.  I would absolutely love to see something like this ingame.  It would certainly give me something fun to do when there isn't anyhing big going on like whatever this game's equivalents of mines and banes will be.  Oh, how much I would love to run people down with my level 15 boar in a level 6 zone. 

Yes!

And the boars would be like "oink oink hehehhehehe" "oink oink oink lol", and then they,ll start humping each other andn strafejumping around.

YUSSS

b7xcsz.jpg

I am in favor of player driven content, eg. adding bounties, assassination, spies, infiltrators design elements to the game.

An example, for the spy content, spies can help gain a buff to the side which might last x hours to prepare for a big fight. 

Bounties, are for players to putout for that ganker which killed your low level toon trying to levelup. So the player which took your bounty will be able to track and hunt the bounty(depends if that player design his char and class as a bounty hunter). Once the bounty hunter gets the kill he will loot the head and bring it back to claim the bounty.

Assassins content is for players to kill a target player(which could be a leader of another faction, or their best scout, or their best healer, etc..) Once killed the player will get a debuff which will last x hours to make him/her less effective in maybe a big battle/seige etc...

Inflitrators content is for players to get into the city and if undetected able to weaken certain stuctures/gate/doors in that city so that the besiegers can take the city easier.

There could be more, but essentially this will help generate unscripted player content as the players will than need to decide the best strategy to use to ensure that they are successful in whatever they want to do.

LOTRO has the Moors - where any player past a certain level can go create a creep - a spider, orc, goblin etc. and play relentlessly against the regular players.  I am not a PvP person but I did create a spider in the Moors and had a great time laying random traps and laying in wait burrowed in the ground.

pixS8Wt.jpg

The Chronicles of Crowfall           The Free Lands of Azure            RIP Doc Gonzo.