Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Myri

Animations should be Speed Up

It currently to slow its like 1.... 2.... 3..... 4.....

when if its a Mmo Action game it should feel more action based and be 1,2,3,4 like in Tera with fast animation and combos and a shorter Animation Lock Time.

85f8fbc97b910d00235065a6356ac5c5815dd23e

Sounds like a pretty familiar statement I've heard before  :P (https://youtu.be/4UvhRRCyeGc?t=5m10s)

Most of the people I've talked to want faster animations/projectiles. Some people have this fear that if they make the game too fast that all the tactics will go out the window. I just really don't see that being the case.

If they make the game/combat too fast ,some tactics will most likely go out of the window.

"I want animations faster to make combat feel smoother and fast speeded-up" is not the same as "I want the game/combat Speeded up"

Animation locks can turn out to be annoying if too long,but they are needed to give wieght to your actions.

Because of animation locks,players have to bide their time to use power attacks & might require their group to protect them while pulling off a power attack in stressful situations.

Shorter animation locks still need to be long enough for players to have a good opportunity to do something.

And animation locks can't be too long either,as the player feels trapped in the animation & the mobs with long animation locks in Tera give the impression to have poor AI.

Take the basilisk in Tera as example;you stand there blasting fire in his hole,yet still the basilisk furiously rushes towards the hills on the other side,in the far distance...

Animation locks will require fine tuning..

The guy in the video says the combat overall is fun ,there will be lots of tweaks.

He wants animations/swings of a sword faster..

I think he wants combat to feel faster with smoother animations.Which is perfectly fine.

Smoother animations might be what they are already aiming for.

If they would speed up combat itself & remove animation locks,a lot of tactics would be thrown out of the window.

Do not agree with the guy when he says that 'everything should be faster',some specific things..

Projectiles(i think he refers to the confessor's fireballs?) sure need to be fast enough to hit players moving

,yet at the same time allow rival players some opportunity to dodge.(not too much)

'The runspeed is fine' yet different for some archetypes,ranger & centaur might be scouty and faster..think its more a matter of prefered flavour here.

In the end it is important to remember that they only worked like 16 weeks on it,that the game is far from release and all..

Seen their progress so far, I have no doubt fine tuning will turn out to be childsplay for them.

Personally the animations don't bother me at all..

It wouldn't cross my mind to complain about animations,seen the high quality they have been able to provide in such a short time,

knowing it actually is an indie mmo.

Edited by Tipsy

If they make the game/combat too fast ,some tactics will most likely go out of the window.

Tactics specifically designed around slow combat may go out the window, but they will be replaced with tactics designed to reward players who think faster and more efficiently and can apply that with mechanical execution. 

Skeggold, Skalmold, Skildir ro Klofnir

the faster combat will be,the easier to lose oversight in larger scale battle.

Large scale combat needs tactics designed around slow combat.Like castle sieges.The rival needs to get the opportunity to respond to an approaching catapult.

You cant just throw all tactics designed around slow combat out of the window if we are going to have large scale battles.

the faster combat will be,the easier to lose oversight in larger scale battle.

Large scale combat needs tactics designed around slow combat.Like castle sieges.The rival needs to get the opportunity to respond to an approaching catapult.

You cant just throw all tactics designed around slow combat out of the window if we are going to have large scale battles.

Why is that specifically?  It's always easier to lose oversight the more you speed things up, because mental and physical reaction play a larger and larger factor the faster something gets... but it rewards the people that are really on point. 

It also just really depends where you want your skill thresholds to lie.  Do we want the slowest battles where everyone has time to think and execute the decision they want to make slowly?  Do we want to speed it up to where 50% of the people can't keep up with the pace and 50% can stay on top of what is going on?  Do we want to make it ultrafast to where 1% of the people can keep track of what is going on, with others becoming overwhelmed to varying degrees? 

A balance must be struck but i definitely don't think an action combat game should be slow, it really works against the benefits of action combat systems in my opinion. 

Good post above. The combat speed should be balanced around the point where people that mostly win still find it challenging,and people that mostly lose still find it possible to win. Only then it will be sustainable in the long term. IMO.

If combat becomes so fast that effective counterplay is impossible, that removes skill from the equation and replaces it with first mover advantage.

Official "Bad Person" of Crowfall

"I think 1/3rd of my postcount is telling people that we aren't turning into a PvE / casual / broad audience game." -

Tully

Fast paced combat is what they should aim for overall for combat

But it is important to realize that tactics designed around slower combat are needed to support large scale combat.

Large scale combat is a different story than small skirmishes.

During castle sieges the ,siege weapons will always move slower as the units.Because they impose great threat& the foe need to be able to react properly.

In large scale combat we'll need some tactics specifically designed around slower combat.

Awareness(of environment,self,encounters,friendly fire) is important for players to gain insight to make skillful decision

i've written it out in Immerse's topic once

,not feeling in the mood to repeat myself all the way

I hope your connection can keep up as well that you won't become overwhelmed ,VikingNail

If combat becomes so fast that effective counterplay is impossible, that removes skill from the equation and replaces it with first mover advantage.

Crowfall will never come anywhere near approaching the level of fast so it isn't an issue...

If people operating at 300+ apm can counterplay each other... people playing crowfall have nothing to worry about....

Sounds like a pretty familiar statement I've heard before  :P (https://youtu.be/4UvhRRCyeGc?t=5m10s)

Most of the people I've talked to want faster animations/projectiles. Some people have this fear that if they make the game too fast that all the tactics will go out the window. I just really don't see that being the case.

LOL Why do you think Zy told you on pm I was watching your vids :P

85f8fbc97b910d00235065a6356ac5c5815dd23e

So here's the thing. I prefer combat to be tactical rather than twitch oriented, meaning you won't be overwhelmed by a series of combos but rather you'll be hit and you'll have time, meaning a second or two, to react to the situation and make a call. I don't dislike mechanical skills being important, however mechanical skills should be balanced secondary to strategic combat, meaning longer and slightly slowed.

Of course, faster animations is something I'm for, for some skills. Making them smoother and combat more dynamic would not be bad.

Speed up the animations or remove animation lock on some abilities. Lock the camera to reticle, and introduce strifing (what's the big deal with this?).

Right now combat is far too stiff and slow.

Where is your proof of this? Your window to make decisions will be smaller yes, but that doesn't mean you can't apply the same amount of strategy (you'll just have a smaller window to do it).

Counter play was still a thing in TERA, DFO, WS, GW2 regardless of combat pace.

This sounds like more skill (and mental dexterity), not less will be necessary.

Edited by helix

In my opinion people that can't handle faster paced combat just need to get better. At this pace the "next skill que" feature actually hurts combat because so much can change before that skill fires. With exception of the channeled abilities I feel like a spectator waiting for the next input choice. Rift pvp battlefront's has a decent feel of combat if I recall although it's been a while. The combos flow much better.

Edited by KRIPTIK

KRIPTIKserratedv3_zps4ptlmh6o.gif