Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Advantages-Disadvantages: A Thread to Discuss

So a very scarcely talked about element of the game is the ability to customize your character with advantages and disadvantages, thus I have begun this thread to discuss how we imagine this working or what Advantage/Disadvantage we'd like to see and how it'd work.

Here are some questions to kick it off:

How do you expect advantages and disadvantages to effect small/large scale combat?

What specific mechanics would you like to see in these?

-----If you could create a custom advantage/disadvantage, how would it work?

I don't expect creation runes to provide any active abilities. They're most likely going to be static modifiers to various passive attributes, or proficiencies which your archetype wouldn't ordinarily have.

Official "Bad Person" of Crowfall

"I think 1/3rd of my postcount is telling people that we aren't turning into a PvE / casual / broad audience game." -

Tully

I don't expect creation runes to provide any active abilities. They're most likely going to be static modifiers to various passive attributes, or proficiencies which your archetype wouldn't ordinarily have.

Yes, but some of these passive effects can be interesting, for instance if there was a "Nearsighted" Disadvantage which would blur your in-game sight to match this. 

Yes, but some of these passive effects can be interesting, for instance if there was a "Nearsighted" Disadvantage which would blur your in-game sight to match this.

Or such as having giant's blood and be less resistant to fire damage and silver'd weapons damage you.

I agree. I'll be a little disappointed if these add any active abilities to your bar.

I'll also be disappointed if they do Archetype specific ads and stuff, since that will be just another thing devs will have to balance and for people to complain about.

Elder Scrolls Online - Templar/Nightblade Mains      Guild Wars 2 - Necromancer/Thief Mains    http://www.twitch.tv/sommazzatore

For sure I would like to see: "reduce strength and mass". I really want to get gripped and be on the other side of the battlefield so I can reset the fight.

Just play a Guinecean if you want that!

I think knowing yourself & choosing an archetype which reflects and matches your playstyle,is the first choice that will play in your advantage/disadvantage.

From the streams I got the impression Tyrant prefers the straightforward,unapologestic skull-crushing.So champion ,being the front-line powerhouse,might fit him perfectly.

Though champion isn't as defensive as knight,or mobile as legionnaire.

If champion and knight would feel the same ,there would be little point in having two separate archetypes.

Want a stealthy sniper,laying traps with good mobility that allows some room to go your own way? Ranger might be your fit..

I think they'll play differently ,like instruments.

You'll have to try and find out which ones are a good match.

If you play an archetype that doesn't match you ,you'll be at a disadvantage.

while you play one that matches your playstyle an advantage.

Other advantage/disadvantages will come with finding creative strategies within your current location,which can be exploited towards victory or goal achievement.

Like farm holding (see suggestion section) ,danger of collapsing walls,bouldering slides,quicksand,..

Edited by Tipsy
The ranger might have 'detect traps' too.

So if the ranger enters a swamp,she can detect quicksands.

Trap detection could be improved by passive offline researching.So she can get like 15% to 90% trap detection.

When she heads alone into a swamp,the ranger risks a lot,seen as there is no real danger,& there still is a small chance she gets stuck.

But when the ranger is chased by a large group,it might be a smart way to escape & at the same time get her enemies in trouble.

gX7saLN.jpg

Oh my,the one in the lower right corner sees other ways how this can play in his advantage  :lol:

Edited by Tipsy