Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Krip's Poorly Made Socks Computer Tweak Guide

KRIPTIK

Kriptik's Poorly Made Socks Computer Tweak Guide

Hello fellow gamers. I have been playing online games for many years. For 100% of that time I have has less computer than I wanted/needed. I'm going to try to lay out a guide of how to squeese every last ounce of power out of your machine. I will update this guide based on feedback also please feel free to leave your own tips and tricks for us all.

UPDATE EVERYTHING

This might seem like an obvious step that has already been done but lets review just the same:

• Latest Operating System that your rig can handle. The newer versions support better technology (i.e. DirectX 12). Windows 10 is a free download to anyone that already has a windows OS installed.
  • 32 bit is best If your low on resources 64 bit will allow more memory to be used but comes at a higher resource cost.
  • Windows Update
  • Computer manufacturer update Believe it or not a windows update will not always update everything. Your computer makers website (Intel, Dell, exc...) will have a support section where you can download updates for your model. **Be very careful when doing BIOS updates*** follow instructions and make a back up before hand. I have bricked a motherboard doing one of these before. If you bought a new video card or gaming mouse get those drivers from their manufacturer also.
  • Device Manager steps to check device manager for unconfigured devices:
  1. control panel
  2. administrative tools
  3. computer management
  4. click on device manager on the left
  5. now right click on any device and select "scan for changes"
  6. anything that comes back with a yellow ! or a ? needs attention
  • I also download the developer files for the platform they are working on. This is something I was instructed to do while testing a different title pre-release and I have always done it. Can't hurt. Here is the Unity 5 DL link https://unity3d.com/get-unity/download

WINDOWS TWEAKS

There a few things you can do to windows to help it use less resources and eliminate hesitation and hiccup's during gameplay. As always please make a back up of your system before playing with things.

• Ccleaner Is a free cleaning program by Piriform that does an excellent job cleaning your computer and quickly to boot. https://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download Run the cleaner. Then click on registry and run the registry cleaner. Then go to tools/startup and make sure only the programs you need are starting up and no junk like yahoo toolbar and such.

• Adjust Windows performance settings click:
  1. control panel
  2. system
  3. advanced system settings
  4. click the settings button in the performance area
  5. click on "adjust for best performance"
  • Set Pagefile/Virtual Memory Almost in the same place as the last tweak:
  1. control panel
  2. system
  3. advanced system settings
  4. click the settings button in the performance area
  5. at the top of that box there are tabs click the advanced tab
  6. in the virtual memory area click the change button
  7. deselect auto manage page file size
  8. click custom page file size
  9. set initial and max file to same size. typically it's 1.5 the amount of memory you have installed if you have the hard drive space.

GRAPHICS CARD

I am very familiar with AMD so I will go through that in depth and then i'll link my way through Nvidia. Right click on blank desktop and choose Catalyst control center or go to display adapter properties and choose advanced properties. Go to gaming and then to 3d application settings.

Capture_zpsmwlahqxd.png

Then go to the performance tab. I enable graphics overdrive only I overclock my cpu in the bios. If you are not familiar with overclocking I suggest just setting the power to +20 and the fan to +90% always on. Here is a overclocking guide if you are interested http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/overclocking-guide-part-1,1379.html My overdrive looks like this:

Capture_zpsdpevdroz.png

And for Nvidia this is a great guide http://www.tweakguides.com/NVFORCE_5.html

I hope you enjoyed what I have so far and remember to back up often during this process!

KRIPTIKserratedv3_zps4ptlmh6o.gif

My personal GPU fan profile is usally like this

Below 50c --> %20

Between 50c-70c --> %20 + (currenctheat - 50) * 3

Higher than 70c --> %100

The only thing I really don't agree with the 32 bit is best at all. This might have been the case 10 years ago, but nowadays it really doesn't matter anymore. The only reason to stay on 32 bit is when you have less than 4 GB of RAM in your system or if your CPU is still 32 bit only. If this is the case it's time to upgrade your rig anyway because no way in hell any recent game (or Crowfall) will run well or at all.

Other points points I don't really have anything against, just want to say be careful with the Virtual Memory settings. Not that you going to break your system, but if set wrong it will slow it down for sure. I leave it on automatically managed anyway. If you like to have other programs open, like a browser while you play games, you greatly benefit of having more RAM in your rig as well. Having max. 8 GB is really barebones when you have a game, several browser tabs and maybe some streaming program open.

The best tip I want to give is; get a SSD. This will improve performance of your rig so very much. The HDD is nowadays the slowest component in your system and replacing that is going to do wonders!

ZCcquVD.png

THE most active European Crowfall community. Join us now!

Always go with 64 bit if you have over 4gb ram.

I am not bying 32gb ram and then have my computer bottleneck it and only run with 4gb.

Edited by zinnie

The only thing I really don't agree with the 32 bit is best at all. This might have been the case 10 years ago, but nowadays it really doesn't matter anymore. The only reason to stay on 32 bit is when you have less than 4 GB of RAM in your system or if your CPU is still 32 bit only. If this is the case it's time to upgrade your rig anyway because no way in hell any recent game (or Crowfall) will run well or at all.

Other points points I don't really have anything against, just want to say be careful with the Virtual Memory settings. Not that you going to break your system, but if set wrong it will slow it down for sure. I leave it on automatically managed anyway. If you like to have other programs open, like a browser while you play games, you greatly benefit of having more RAM in your rig as well. Having max. 8 GB is really barebones when you have a game, several browser tabs and maybe some streaming program open.

The best tip I want to give is; get a SSD. This will improve performance of your rig so very much. The HDD is nowadays the slowest component in your system and replacing that is going to do wonders!

Faster drives does not effect performance, they effect loading times / startup times

This is because whenever you open game, cpu related information is loaded to RAM and GPU related information is loaded into VRAM, otherwise even 20ssd raid would not be able to transfer data fast enough to meet up with processors compute capacity

Edited by Eren

They do. If your system is waiting for poorly made socks to load, that affects performance.

System does not wait for things to load in mid-game , it loads all related information when you open a game, or whenever you switch maps, i really dont know any games that dynamically load data, and if they do i would consider them as bad games. There is a situation where drive speed effects in-game stuff, which is when texture popping happens, if VRAM is incapable of loading all the textures, it loads textures dynamically, but this does not effect performance, it just makes textures pop in game

Faster drives does not effect performance, they effect loading times / startup times

True, not in all cases SSD's will improve your gameplay, but loading- and startup times are part of performance, just as your FPS.

The point of installing games on an SSD is the drastic reduction in load times. SSDs can also reduce 'hitching' in games. Install your OS on an SSD and you'll boot a lot quicker also. Install Windows and your games on an SSD and keep a bigger, secondary HDD for other storage.

You can argue if it's bad programming or not (I really don't know if that is the case or not), but that is not the point. The fact is games do load things while you game and having an SSD will improve just that.

ZCcquVD.png

True, not in all cases SSD's will improve your gameplay, but loading- and startup times are part of performance, just as your FPS.

The point of installing games on an SSD is the drastic reduction in load times. SSDs can also reduce 'hitching' in games. Install your OS on an SSD and you'll boot a lot quicker also. Install Windows and your games on an SSD and keep a bigger, secondary HDD for other storage.

You can argue if it's bad programming or not (I really don't know if that is the case or not), but that is not the point. The fact is games do load things while you game and having an SSD will improve just that.

I did not consider that part as performance, but yes, personally, i press the startup button and go do something else for 5 munites, until everything boots up, and ssd really improves pc experiance as you will have your computer ready in manner of seconds after pressing the button. Its really unbarable without ssd, waiting 15 secs for windows, than another 20 secs for startup programs such as antivirus.

Im personally going to get SSD for windows / startup programs / visual studio and eclipse and possibly internet browser, dollar is very expensive here , i cannot afford ssd storage big enough for games, which take 1 tb atm

i cannot afford ssd storage big enough for games, which take 1 tb atm

Put you most used games on the SSD and the others on the HDD. You can also move them around a bit manually, but that is a bit of a hassle and I can't be bothered. I do not have much games installed myself, so I'm good with my 256GB SSD so far.

ZCcquVD.png

System does not wait for things to load in mid-game , it loads all related information when you open a game, or whenever you switch maps, i really dont know any games that dynamically load data, and if they do i would consider them as bad games. There is a situation where drive speed effects in-game stuff, which is when texture popping happens, if VRAM is incapable of loading all the textures, it loads textures dynamically, but this does not effect performance, it just makes textures pop in game

Go back and reread what I said...

Edited by Handies

You said ;

They do. If your system is waiting for poorly made socks to load, that affects performance.

and i said ;

System does not wait for things to load in mid-game , it loads all related information when you open a game, or whenever you switch maps, 

Basically means, no , they dont. Instead of performance i will use more direct definition, fps.  If system was waiting for poorly made socks to load, there is a chance it could have effected the performance, but because that does not happen, it does not effect fps. However if by performance you mean something that is not fps, than my apogalizes.

You said ;

and i said ;

Basically means, no , they dont. Instead of performance i will use more direct definition, fps.  If system was waiting for poorly made socks to load, there is a chance it could have effected the performance, but because that does not happen, it does not effect fps. However if by performance you mean something that is not fps, than my apogalizes.

and like it was said already, Performance is not tied to fps.

Good stuff guys. Also I like to use revo uninstaller. It scans after you uninstall for leftover files and folders. Defraggler from piriform for my defragmentation.

KRIPTIKserratedv3_zps4ptlmh6o.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Noticed you mentioned CCleaner. If you use CCleaner you should know about CCEnhancer. Adds over a thousand new programs to CCleaner's cleaning list. Also BleachBit is a good one to use alongside of CCleaner.

Edited by Jon