Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jtoddcoleman

01/20/15 - Character Creation Preview: Runes Runes Runes

OK, I'm gonna fly right on past the part where I dislike the model and right into the meat

Runes: If you've played GURPS or several other systems, you know how this works. You get points back for taking bad things. You lose points for taking good things. I had a one-eyed, peg-legged, pirate pulled out of his time and into a laser gun future. You can bet I had some sweet bonuses to go with all that crap. I doubt this system will be as flexible as GURPS. It would be hard to balance that in-game.

For most its obvious. Dim witted takes a knock in your Int for a bonus of points to spend elsewhere, great. But others are less obvious. Does it actually have repercussions if you take "poor eyesight"? Does your draw distance get limited no matter how good your vid card is and how far out you set the depth of field? I hope so.

Ambidexterity modifies Dex (no surprise), Demonic blood is a Str buff (of course). Eagle Eye is Int (so is Poor Eyesight an Int knock? odd choice imho), Fleet Footed is Movement (duh).

Seven slots for Rune combinations at creation. That's a good number, methinks. Wonder if more slots open up later? Or are these runes your "backstory", immutable after creation?

Attributes: Armor is still an attribute. That still bothers me. Though the fact that her leg armor consists mostly of bandages does reflect a lower rating than the Knight. Who knows at this point. They still haven't scrolled that right-hand pane down. Tricksy devses...

Dots: As I had guessed, the dots at the bottom are the second step in the character creation process, after step one, choosing an Archetype. Go me. This step includes both appearance and runes. Though they said there may be a third page, customization. Neat.

Statistics:  I find it interesting that she has +10 to movement but that hasn't increased her "dash count". Wonder what that is connected to then? The only attributes not modified are spirit and armor. Maybe there are dash specific runes....

My guesses would be weapon damage is a multi-attribute affair. with at least STR and DEX, possibly INT thrown into the pot. Crit chance is likely DEX, could have some INT. Crit damage DEX and STR. Hunger probably STR and the magic resistances INT (maybe some STR too).

When I break it down, I break it down.

Soo, if this thing is anything like the SB system, those runes may have secondary effects.

Ambidex in SB purely made you dual wield. However as you pointed out below me, the points are matching up nicely so who knows.

Fleet of foot did do exactly that in SB. It was a 5% increase to move speed.

I originally assumed the dex bonus could have been from something off screen but the runes being displayed below has me questioning that now.

Edited by phylor

C4sIZDW.gif

Soo, if this thing is anything like the SB system, many of your assumptions are a bit off.

Ambidex probably is not modifying the dexterity. It is allowing the character to wield 2 weapons.

Along the same lines, you assumption that eagle eye lines up with intelligence is probably completely off.

Fleet of foot did do exactly that in SB. It was a 5% increase to move speed.

That dex bonus is probably from something that is taken off screen. The SB system had tons of different runes to choose from. Some of which hurt your stats for bonuses in other stats. This appears to have those negatives split up rather than being directly tied to each other.

Oh, I could be off. In fact I probably am. But look again. The plusses and minuses on the left even out with the ones on the right, no?

And its not ShadowBane's system. Todd has admitted he was inspired by GURPS when he did Shadowbane. That's why I referred to it as such. So a knowledge of ShadowBane is not necessary and does not have to be analogous.

Edited by bairloch

I'm in this for the Experience, not the XP.

Oh, I could be off. In fact I probably am. But look again. The plusses and minuses on the left even out with the ones on the right, no?

And its not ShadowBane's system. Todd has admitted he was inspired by GURPS when he did Shadowbane. That's why I referred to it as such. So a knowledge of ShadowBane is not necessary and does not have to be analogous.

Well if the numbers are the same as the first shot we got of the kight, in this particular creation they gained 5 creation points somehow, if 30 creation points are still the same number in this screen shot.

Well if the numbers are the same as the first shot we got of the kight, in this particular creation they gained 5 creation points somehow, if 30 creation points are still the same number in this screen shot.

Assuming Archetypes have the same number of points...

Also "P.S. btw, don't take any of these numbers as gospel.  Many of these values will change (probably have already) -- and in fact, the scale will even change -- as the various systems snap into focus."

Edited by bairloch

I'm in this for the Experience, not the XP.

Yeah I modified my post. I missed the runes below and my whole thing was predicated on the fact that we might be missing some runes that are selected which appears to be not the case.

I don't expect it to be the same as SB but I wouldn't be surprised if some of the rune bonuses were very similar.

C4sIZDW.gif

It looks good, I like all the stats/runes/whateveryouwannacallem, and the fealty system. More complexity is needed in factions systems in mmorpgs these days, with ranks and duties and other things that make you feel like a part of a real world. I want a system that will promote social and political interactions between members of the same "team" rather than a system not too terribly more complex than being red or blue in a Halo game. 

The blue elf model looks better than the other two in-game models we've seen so far in my opinion, in terms of not looking like an overly simple, chunky, kids toy. I do hope that the visual customization will be as exciting and in-depth as the non-visual customization shown here. 

peastravaganza%20dos_zps4q178jpn.png

if our GURPS/SB hypothesis is taken as an axiom then one would postulate all characters starting equally

it's how you spend your available Resources that determines your Character, a corollary would be that what you take at Creation cannot be changed afterwards, whereas a "refine" or respec of what you spent IN GAME is probable...

just a guess

FIQw0eP.png

let the Code build the World and it's Laws....let the Players build the rest...

fiXt....

cereally....

lemme IN!

Me, me, me, me! Christmas in March? Alpha...

Click your profile name>Click Manage Ignore Prefs>Find "Add a new user to my list" at the bottom of the page>Type in a username>Check options>Save Changes>Silence is bliss.

Also "P.S. btw, don't take any of these numbers as gospel.  Many of these values will change (probably have already) -- and in fact, the scale will even change -- as the various systems snap into focus."

Yes I know, that is why I started my sentence with "well if " :)

if our GURPS/SB hypothesis is taken as an axiom then one would postulate all characters starting equally

it's how you spend your available Resources that determines your Character, a corollary would be that what you take at Creation cannot be changed afterwards, whereas a "refine" or respec of what you spent IN GAME is probable...

just a guess

Coleman's response makes it sounds like the Archetypes are race locked. So it would lack that piece from SB where race actually had its own creation cost to it. However that may be totally off.

That may be something that is applied to each individual Archetype but that would make for kind of an odd system and wouldn't matter a whole bunch unless they wanted to do add an extra variable to balance through stats. Could make things messy. Of course that is only if archetypes are race locked.

C4sIZDW.gif

Coleman's response makes it sounds like the Archetypes are race locked. So it would lack that piece from SB where race actually had its own creation cost to it. However that may be totally off.

That may be something that is applied to each individual Archetype but that would make for kind of an odd system and wouldn't matter a whole bunch unless they wanted to do add an extra variable to balance through stats. Could make things messy. Of course that is only if archetypes are race locked.

Will race have choice of archetypes? Or are they locked? I'm not familiar with all the lingo outside of typical SB lingo.

Are you moving original Christmas or creating a second?

I think it's best to have TWO, just to keep the good times rollin'.

Click your profile name>Click Manage Ignore Prefs>Find "Add a new user to my list" at the bottom of the page>Type in a username>Check options>Save Changes>Silence is bliss.