Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jtoddcoleman

01/20/15 - Character Creation Preview: Runes Runes Runes

heh...get in line...

I just HATE to stand in line. x cuts in front of doc x gives him a brownie x

Click your profile name>Click Manage Ignore Prefs>Find "Add a new user to my list" at the bottom of the page>Type in a username>Check options>Save Changes>Silence is bliss.

- After selection of archetype, the system opens up in terms of appearance and customization: advantages / disadvantages, promotion classes and other specializations (some of which we haven't talked about yet.)

- No, the weapon choices are not locked to the archetype.  If you pick up a sword, and you have the pre-reqs, you can use it.  Want to use a bow?  Equip that, instead.  A few weapons are specific to particular base or promotion class (like the Icecleaver, above) but that's the exception, not the norm.

More of this will make sense once we release more detailed information about character advancement.  Runes are just the first piece of the puzzle.

Todd

ACE

Ah, that's really good to hear.   

Edited by frobobo

Will race have choice of archetypes? Or are they locked? I'm not familiar with all the lingo outside of typical SB lingo.

Well, the Vampire with maybe wings and the Frostweaver look like they're both elves, But maybe they're locked anyway, with some races getting multiple archetypes.

I think the K-Mart of MMO's already exists!  And it ain't us!   :)

Will race have choice of archetypes? Or are they locked? I'm not familiar with all the lingo outside of typical SB lingo.

i'm thinking that's it...

if i'm reading it correctly, what they are calling "Archetypes" might be a race/starter class that can Promote

i'm guessing that due to having badgers and deer and elves and humans in the Archetype frames, yet giving them Class like names (Knight, Templar etc...)

now can a subset of races be taken form the archetype on the appearences page? not if stats are Race determined, and one would think that huge human in armor has more HPs for example than the Badger...

not enough info to take it apart yet, but it appears that there will be a large pool of baseline Variables that can be tuned even further for maximizing total possibilities available

that was my out loud Voice again....wasn't it?

FIQw0eP.png

let the Code build the World and it's Laws....let the Players build the rest...

484.jpg

Very excited to see a modern mmo pulling from Shadowbane's customization. Soooooo very excited.  Cringing really that I didn't see the play2crush email and signup into the earlier beta group.

can't like this enough lmao

Well, the Vampire with maybe wings and the Frostweaver look like they're both elves, But maybe they're locked anyway, with some races getting multiple archetypes.

That's how I'm reading this as well. I think most games would have you choose race then show what classes are available to that race. This is essentially the same thing, but is done weird. I'm betting that's because some races only have a single class to choose.

Couple of things:

Critical hit but no critical block?

KUDOS on the female figure. She's powerful and shapely. I love that she doesn't have gangly limbs, that her breasts are a reasonable size, and that she has a woman's hips. Nicely done. 

Frostweaver...Shadowweaver... 

Click your profile name>Click Manage Ignore Prefs>Find "Add a new user to my list" at the bottom of the page>Type in a username>Check options>Save Changes>Silence is bliss.

Couple of things:

Critical hit but no critical block?

KUDOS on the female figure. She's powerful and shapely. I love that she doesn't have gangly limbs, that her breasts are a reasonable size, and that she has a woman's hips. Nicely done.

Frostweaver...Shadowweaver...

Most MMOs don't have a crit block perse. Not every class anyways. Usually only tank classes have crit block, and it's generally tied to gear.

Also, more stats further down the page, so it's possible.

Not sure if this needs said, but don't compare W101 crit/block to any other games (if that is what you are doing.) The comparison doesn't work well.

Edited by lucius

Not sure if this needs said, but don't compare W101 crit/block to any other games (if that is what you are doing.) The comparison doesn't work well.

Yes, that's what I was thinking. Could you explain how this is different?

Welp, Coleman's latest comment got rid of all of my fears on character creation/costomization.  Now the only fear left is any sort of predetermined faction system.  Once that one is dispelled, I will officially have boarded the Hype-Train.

"Food for the crows..."    Nobuo Xa'el

cdinUTh.png

I just HATE to stand in line. x cuts in front of doc x gives him a brownie x

There's a freakin line?  No one told me about any line :(  Thanks ya'll  

x takes docs brownie x  :)

Maybe it not about the happy ending. Maybe it's about the story.

RIP Doc Gonzo "to anyone...speak your mind...defend your position...be prepared for an Argument and enjoy the process of the discussion...that's all part of any good Forum experience"

There's a freakin line?  No one told me about any line :(  Thanks ya'll  

x takes docs brownie x   :)

...:::hands off the brownie and steps back in front:::...

no cutsies, dammit... these teases have me all a tizzy....

just let me play with character creation, ffs.... ok...and mebbe newb isle

ok...mebbe,......

FIQw0eP.png

let the Code build the World and it's Laws....let the Players build the rest...

Hmmm, what to say.

Runes sound like the most interesting thing here.  I like the idea of having a feat like system with drawbacks as well as perks, as it inherently has more RP potential and draws you into the world more then there other wise 'perfect humans' you play as in other MMO's/games.

My big question is whether or not they have gameplay altering functionality or are merely stat modifications.

Like if "Poor Eye Sight" reduced your maximum range, but "Eagle Eye" increased accuracy.

It would certainly give the game a much more weighty feel.

Fealty System sounds interesting, and land ownership is confirmed now,  which is cool and all, but it leaves me with more questions then answers.

Like how you go about obtaining these positions, since in medieval times you either took them by force, marriage, or were born into them.  All of which require a great deal of time.

You didn't exactly get voted into a position of King or Queen.  So how do you get there?

As for the Character Design, hate to do this again, but boy is it bland.

Sure the weapon looks nice, but the rest of it, bleh.  It's an ice elf, whipdido.  It really does look like it was ripped from... well, almost any generic fantasy game.

And personally, I am so sick of bloody elves.  Their humans with pointy ears!  Come on!

But I'm going to cut the developers some slack as it still being pre-alpha, and their still probably trying to figure out their core aesthetic and what their game is about.  And until they know that, and can build all of their design and aesthetic around it, for now they are just using a very standard fantasy aesthetic, that is completely non-offensive but gives them something to work with while they figure all this stuff out.  Cool, fine.

But if I do have one request, no blinking elves.... or dwarfs, orcs, goblins, gnomes, etc, etc.  You know, the generic stuff that's been rehashed hundreds of times already.  I don't wan to see the same old take on fantasy, I want to see YOUR take on fantasy.

So when it comes to your aesthetic, try not to borrow ideas, and come up with some of your own.   This is why I like Allison's work, she does things that are a little similar, but clearly goes off in a different direction..... one with lots and lots of teeth.

Yes, that's what I was thinking. Could you explain how this is different?

Crit in W101 works the same way as most MMOs, double damage. Blocking crits in W101 is crucial because of the insane numbers.

For example, if I have a mage that does 500 damage with a fireball and I crit for 1k, it's a big deal, can even change the fight significantly. But I can drink a pot and negate that crit or use another cooldown ability to counteract a lucky crit like that.

My mage will never ever be able to turn that 500 dmg attack into one that does 10k, 20k on a crit.

Without the number inflation, defense against crits is less required. That's probably the simplest answer. It's really difficult to discuss without getting into buff stacking and shield stacking, things that don't exist outside of W101. Essentially, these type games use different means to counteract crits.