Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jtoddcoleman

01/20/15 - Character Creation Preview: Runes Runes Runes

Well, my suspicion is there a a limited and fixed number of castles per say.  So accounting for each crest, there would be 12 "normal" sites and 1 "large" site.  Or 13 sites, and one of those becomes top dog through politics.

I certainly hope that's not the case and it's more like in SB where you can start a town anywhere, unless area is not filled up. As far as fealty, SB like realm system could also be somehow incorporated. Not sure how atm, but concept is there.

But either way, it will be interesting if they go along something like Game of Thrones and their 7 kingdoms. The difference would be that each would have their main city/keep while guilds would still be able to build their own encampments around in a given realm.

Edited by nefastus

Give them a chance before you jump to conclusions, all we know is that it's a PVP centric MMO with a mysterious fuedal system similar to SB, a char creation system similar to SB and made by the guys who made SB/Wiz 101/all of the SW mmo's and Ultima.  They have stated it's not SB2, please give them the courtsey of showing you why it isn't before anybody stomps their feet like a petulant child over all the reasons it's similar. 

Where have they stated that?  I've been giving them more than a chance and it's enough already.  At least, let us know some basics so we needn't continue if this is not going to be our thing like will there be nonconsensual PvP and looting and if the only PvE is to support the PvP'ers, because the hell with that too quite frankly.

Not quite carebear, but sort of cousin to,

meh, grumpy old lady...

Never underestimate grumpy old ladies.

We can't change the Amor in character-creation? Oh..., that's stupid... ^^

Where does it say? Or rather, where does it say that your choice of armor is decided by character creation? More likely it's just a standard start up visual theme and nothing more. In SB you also had the same "armor" at character creation, the only thing you could change is weapons and that still meant absolutely nothing beyond logging in with a newb weapon.

Where have they stated that?  I've been giving them more than a chance and it's enough already.  At least, let us know some basics so we needn't continue if this is not going to be our thing like will there be nonconsensual PvP and looting and if the only PvE is to support the PvP'ers, because the hell with that too quite frankly.

Have you?  Granted I haven't read all of your posts, I have other things to do in life, but the posts I do see that you wrote, all you've done is complain about this game. 

What DO you like about this game?  Anything at all?

Have you?  Granted I haven't read all of your posts, I have other things to do in life, but the posts I do see that you wrote, all you've done is complain about this game. 

What DO you like about this game?  Anything at all?

Actually, every single one of my arguments were against either non-consensual PvP or looting or both.  If they'd just clarify if those are going to be a thing or not, would go a long way to clearing up the obvious rift in this community.

meh, grumpy old lady...

Thanks for responding to our vision of a game that is shooting to be somewhat different from those that we've all played before.  Todd, Tully, myself and our entire team look forward to serving you as we build this vision together.

We'll be participating in the hints and speculation game we are playing through the countdown with you.  Expect it to be a little frustrating at times, but there might be a method to the madness.   :)   Don't be too quick to make up your mind until the countdown ends and we unveil the full game vision.

We appreciate your patronage and will do our best to be good stewards in the entertainment environments that we build and service for you.

Gordon "Tyrant" Walton

Executive Producer

http://community.crowfall.com/index.php?/topic/4-welcome-to-crowfall/

Edited by mandalore

40 minutes ago, Andius said:

W/HoA were held up as like these mystical forces of highly skilled players with legendary theorycrafters chained to a desk in some deep dungeon holding all the arcane secrets we could use to win if only we knew them.

wiDfyPp.png

Actually, every single one of my arguments were against either non-consensual PvP or looting or both.  If they'd just clarify if those are going to be a thing or not, would go a long way to clearing up the obvious rift in this community.

Call me biased or whatever, but with so much little info, and so specific, it's easy to bet to it will be non-consensual PvP, ala a type that's clearly required for the game that the manifesto states it will be. Every new clue/snip only adds to that, and us, SB/DF/UO folk understand it very well.

Wether there will be full loot, I'd LOVE to see it happen but I expect it to be also SB like inventory only loot system, which I can live with no problem.

Edited by nefastus

How SB worked was you kept all the gear you wore, you just had the potential to lose what you farmed. If you went out for about an hour and farmed you could probably survive and return to bank it all. PROBABLY because scouts had a skill that they could locate players...so ...yeah. I think the "semi-loot" system is perfect for people who don't want to lose all their stuff because really it's like playing a console game and dying and going back to your last save instead of the start of the level lol. Same/Similar concept.

What you might also want to consider if they do say that there is a free-loot system (either partial or full), you should wait and see what else the game has to offer. Most MMOs that have had this make it really really easy to get gear... you just need to talk to people, really. Even in DF/DF:UW... solo players would have a tough time unless they conversed with CRAFTERs. 

Crowfall might have a completely differen progression system to render any looting system actually still fun for more people. People coming from other games are jaded by grinding the same boss 100s of times to receive 1 out of 9 pieces of gear. These games never required that type of grind to get gear, so I suspect Crowfall will reduce this non-existent grind perhaps even further, but we'll see.

Still. I wouldn't count out these player-types just because of the name and the unfortunate people that call you names for not liking what they like. Not everyone in these games are like that. Last time I played DF:UW (a while ago) I jumped in and was farming for a while. Saw this guy there. Asked him what's up. And we joined a party and started farming together. We didn't KoS. He didn't come to gank me. Gankers usually hang around places where loot is better. Griefers usually just want to kill you, but Griefers are less % of the population.

Edited by orious13

I am really enjoying the banner art and I think it helps get everyone in the mindset of sieges. I was just discussing with friends the different banners and which among them we thought was best.

The Fealty chart I would assume would work as a type of guild alliance system. A group of guild could come together to make their own society in the game. This would be great for the sandbox aspect of the game and it is something I was hoping would be with ArcheAge. The Fealty chart is definitely something I would like to know more about and am looking forward to. I still have many questions about it and how it will effect the game. This is definitely one area I'm going to keep a close eye on.

The last image presents more questions than answers, which in this case is great. Just spent the last 10 minutes discussing with friends on what all the possibilities could be from the different points and how unique the options could be. If the current system keeps going on the track it is, I think we could see some amazing an unique characters. Which is what the community wants. People want to play with thousands of others, but they want to feel unique and stand out in a crowd and I think this system allows that.

10/10

She doesn't want debate, a conversation or anything but her way before she takes her ball and goes home.  I don't even understand what she means by non-consensual PvP,  I don't even understand how an adult can use a phrase comparing open pvp to an actual word used to describe assault. 

Now as to remain on topic, can we get a little more from a SS or maybe add some more context about the SS?  I feel like I'm going to a fully dressed gentlemans club and the dancer shows me a little ankle and asks for $50.

40 minutes ago, Andius said:

W/HoA were held up as like these mystical forces of highly skilled players with legendary theorycrafters chained to a desk in some deep dungeon holding all the arcane secrets we could use to win if only we knew them.

wiDfyPp.png

I'd be shocked if this game is not non-consensual PvP.  Not to revive a locked thread, but your statements in that thread make it evident you have NO earthly idea of why we like non-consensual pvp.  It's obvious you cannot comprehend why anyone would want to play a game like that.  Your reasons you spit out in that thread were just....wrong.  Completely.

I don't blame you for thinking how you do!  Of course you think that.  No one can understand the UO/SB/DF crowd if you never experienced it in that environment.  Even PvP WoW servers do not compare because of the utter lack of consequence.

What I ask you Blaze, is to have an open mind.  Stop shutting down.  Maybe even trust us old PvPers.  We don't hate ourselves.  There is a reason we love this type of game so much.  We have ALL been ganked over and over and over again.  We have all lost stuff over and over again at some point in the past in these games.  Yet we still love this style.  Surely you can realize there MUST be a reason.  I know you cannot see that reason now, but you will.  If this game ends up being in the same league as Shadowbane and Ultima Online and you stick around long enough to give it a fair chance.

She doesn't want debate, a conversation or anything but her way before she takes her ball and goes home.  I don't even understand what she means by non-consensual PvP,  I don't even understand how an adult can use a phrase comparing open pvp to an actual word used to describe ****. 

Now as to remain on topic, can we get a little more from a SS or maybe add some more context about the SS?  I feel like I'm going to a fully dressed gentlemans club and the dancer shows me a little ankle and asks for $50.

Except they haven't asked for money....yet.  So right now, yay!  free ankles!

I'd be shocked if this game is not non-consensual PvP.  Not to revive a locked thread, but your statements in that thread make it evident you have NO earthly idea of why we like non-consensual pvp.  It's obvious you cannot comprehend why anyone would want to play a game like that.  Your reasons you spit out in that thread were just....wrong.  Completely.

I don't blame you for thinking how you do!  Of course you think that.  No one can understand the UO/SB/DF crowd if you never experienced it in that environment.  Even PvP WoW servers do not compare because of the utter lack of consequence.

What I ask you Blaze, is to have an open mind.  Stop shutting down.  Maybe even trust us old PvPers.  We don't hate ourselves.  There is a reason we love this type of game so much.  We have ALL been ganked over and over and over again.  We have all lost stuff over and over again at some point in the past in these games.  Yet we still love this style.  Surely you can realize there MUST be a reason.  I know you cannot see that reason now, but you will.  If this game ends up being in the same league as Shadowbane and Ultima Online and you stick around long enough to give it a fair chance.

Or --  they're right on base and the truth hurts.  I've seen no one explain exactly why that OPEN PvP (in other words you don't know when and where you'll get jumped still) can't work just as will with just those who are willing to participate.  Only cowards want those whose skills don't match their own.

meh, grumpy old lady...

I think this is spot on. Either there will be 13 factions with pre-defined baronies and a walled city as a capitol for each, and extra large territories surrounding the castles of the higher-ranking nobles, or there may be even more factions than those listed on the World tree diagram. I expect a special resource, like a mine, to be located fully inside its barony.

I think it will be both faction and Guild based PvP. What you are seeing IMHO is the picture of the Character a Guild leader plays. So if Guild X controls a certain area or amount of area they become the feudal lord of that area thus becoming a Baron/Baroness or along those lines. Possibly after that if you beat an in faction guild you rise up in rank and that guild owes fealty to your guild. Thus the march to controlling your faction. On top of that your faction will have to ally/fight other factions to control larger areas of the world map. Think Medeval Europe and countries like England and France, they had a King and an aristocracy under them and each aristocrat had his men at arms (guild members). They connived and sometimes had actual wars among themselves to established who ruled who in that Kingdom. At the same time those countries would fight against each other or ally together against a third country.

I was thinking, if these spots are reserved for guildleaders, well everyone wants to own land and be a special snowflake. We are going to see a lot of people making their own guilds, and a lot of people quitting because they don't want to be simply vassals or peasants.

Anyone playing Crowfall will need to conform to the needs of his (her) guild to be successful; with leadership giving the most of all.

People who refuse to pull with any team in any way will prefer a solo game. Good riddance.

Actually he said what is in the picture ISN'T the guild system:

What it is, is a faction chart IMHO and it looks like the guilds will have to fight for position inside the faction (as well as have the factions ally/fight against each other). The Guild that controls the area has it's guild leader as the king and the other pictures are of guild leaders of other guilds inside that faction. If this is true the politics could get really interesting, real quick.

Well, my suspicion is there a a limited and fixed number of castles per say.  So accounting for each crest, there would be 12 "normal" sites and 1 "large" site.  Or 13 sites, and one of those becomes top dog through politics.

If the Fealty chart is duplicated for each faction there would be room for 139 castles at the beginning of the game by my reckoning. And there will likely be some variation between faction sizes. Some cities may be destroyed and more may be built in the progress of play, but each must have enough nearby resources to support it economically. 

Fealty System sounds interesting, and land ownership is confirmed now,  which is cool and all, but it leaves me with more questions then answers.

Like how you go about obtaining these positions, since in medieval times you either took them by force, marriage, or were born into them.  All of which require a great deal of time.

You didn't exactly get voted into a position of King or Queen.  So how do you get there?

I expect that when the game starts, there are already leaders filling these positions in the fealty chart. As NPC's they would likely never attack other cities, only defend (but IDK). Game lore will tell us why the dawn of gameplay is a time of upheaval in Crowfall's realm. Maybe a plague has just ended (please, no zombie plague as has been suggested, too cliche), the emperor died with no successor or a baby prince regent, or magic started working and some people morphed into the meta-human races (but I expect Todd has a rich history of magic already in this world); whatever it is most of you won't care so long as the game isn't broken and we can play a fun, but challenging game. For whatever the reason, our characters band into guilds and begin to take over the baronies before the Dukes and Archdukes can organize a counter-assault. Now they're just extra large baronies themselves without vassal barons to call on. Any guild foolish enough to besiege a Duke's castle, without taking his vassal baronies first should have to face the combined might of all his armies at once. Once we own our own cities, the guilds are in the political game, and able to raise taxes, exploit resources, craft trade goods, etc. Of course there are historical examples of elected rule over a city once it has been taken, so it's reasonable for ACE to let each guild to govern its city (or cities) however it sees fit.

This gives us 2 ways a guild can increase it's influence by conquest, internal and external.

I think the K-Mart of MMO's already exists!  And it ain't us!   :)

She doesn't want debate, a conversation or anything but her way before she takes her ball and goes home.  I don't even understand what she means by non-consensual PvP,  I don't even understand how an adult can use a phrase comparing open pvp to an actual word used to describe ****. 

I didn't coin the phrase.  Duh.  And, of course, if I don't like the game, I'm not going to play it.  I don't own the ball.  Artcraft does.  I'd just leave.

meh, grumpy old lady...

Its amazing how much you think everything should be tailored to your sensitivities.

Get good or get got.

You are so incredibly helpful, CYT. I don't know how I ever managed to do anything before we met. I was just bumbling my way through life, all lost-like. Thank you. My blessing cup runneth over.

SWrkfdj.jpg