Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jtoddcoleman

01/20/15 - Character Creation Preview: Runes Runes Runes

i think you'll find this trolling approach is what they want to do deliberately...to make us guess and speculate ot keep us busy between teases

everytime they come out with something concrete, it's one less thing they can dance around, eh?

Yeah, it's marketing.

But this is the internet.  Marketing like this might have seemed clever before social media...

Gamers (potential customers!) are already forming lasting impressions of this game based on information they are getting second hand from other gamers who are just making stuff up.  "It will be exactly like Shadowbane"  Maybe it will... but in one month whether it will or it won't there will be people who think that and will be absolutely convinced of it - because they read it on the internet.

The point you're missing, or just not comprehending, is that in a open pvp game, everyone is a willing participant when they click to log in.  That's the sort of game open PvP fans want.  It has nothing to do with jumping less skilled players.  It has to do with everyone existing in a virtual world with actual consequences for the things they do/say.  You're not doing a good job of making allies around these parts by the looks of things, but considering I'm going to go out on a huge limb and say the game will 100% have your definition of non-consensual PvP, I doubt it will bother you much anyway considering you'll just stop following the game the second they give you proof of what's already evident to most here.

Which is a problem.  I can't believe somebody would invest all the hours she has into the boards but will suddenly ditch based on one aspect of the game that might or might not be. 

40 minutes ago, Andius said:

W/HoA were held up as like these mystical forces of highly skilled players with legendary theorycrafters chained to a desk in some deep dungeon holding all the arcane secrets we could use to win if only we knew them.

wiDfyPp.png

The point you're missing, or just not comprehending, is that in a open pvp game, everyone is a willing participant when they click to log in.  That's the sort of game open PvP fans want.  It has nothing to do with jumping less skilled players.  It has to do with everyone existing in a virtual world with actual consequences for the things they do/say.  You're not doing a good job of making allies around these parts by the looks of things, but considering I'm going to go out on a huge limb and say the game will 100% have your definition of non-consensual PvP, I doubt it will bother you much anyway considering you'll just stop following the game the second they give you proof of what's already evident to most here.

My point.

@mourne: Can you please provide a link to the exact Developer quote that supports that?

I don't have a specific developer quote.  I'm using inductive reasoning based on the things that are public knowledge, including multiple quotes.

"Food for the crows..."    Nobuo Xa'el

cdinUTh.png

I don't have a specific developer quote.  I'm using inductive reasoning based on the things that are public knowledge, including multiple quotes.

Yes, you and everyone else. 

And we have gone from "...I'm not saying that absolutely everything is PvP focused and theres no way at all to avoid the terror that is human kind...." to;

(That is a direct developer quote BTW)

Shadowbane 2!  With 100% open world PvP and full loot...and permadeath... and...and...

The problem is none of this is what the Devs have actually said.

Edited by gyrus

My point.

@mourne: Can you please provide a link to the exact Developer quote that supports that?

Gyrus, it's the same link you posted a few posts up that you are claiming confirms there will be safe areas.  How you got that from that post is beyond me.  Take that post and read through all the dev responses to everything and add everything up.  Just read the entire Dev Tracker.  Read the manifesto.  Read everything.

We do not have a 100% clear answer to the pvp question.  Will there be factions?  Can I attack people in my same faction?  These questions are just now starting to be touched on by the devs.  You do have to read between the lines and keep in the back of your head "PvP IS THE MAJOR FOCUS OF THIS GAME."

That post you quoted literally said there are other games for people who cannot stand the thought of PvP happening.  Why would a dev open that door; to suggest a player go play some other MMO?

"This game is not for everyone."

So.... Quick question JToddColeman...

I drooled all over my keyboard and it stop working... Can your company send me a new one? Kinda your fault after all. I can't type unless I use the mouse to highlight and rightclick+copy all the letters (AND SPACES...really hard to find all caps letters) and then paste back into the window o.O.

Edited by orious13

Gyrus, it's the same link you posted a few posts up that you are claiming confirms there will be safe areas.  How you got that from that post is beyond me.  Take that post and read through all the dev responses to everything and add everything up.  Just read the entire Dev Tracker.  Read the manifesto.  Read everything.

Wooh there cowboy!  I said no such thing.

What i said was

"The second one was already answered (I thought) and the answer was it "will not".  There will be PvP and if you want to make the most of the game you will have to take part... but there will be safeguards / safe areas.  At least that's what i thought I read here: http://community.cro...sponse/?p=18417

But, I guess people see what they want to see and interpret how they want to."

So, what I said was "maybe the Dev answer isn't clear".  I thought it was... clearly it isn't.

Which brings me back to the point.  I want to see a clear Dev statement.  Unfortunately, they are unlikely to make it for ~30 days (in order to generate hype?)

I just hope it doesn't back fire on them when in ~30 days they don't say the game will be exactly like the community has convinced themselves it will be.

Edited by gyrus

Wooh there cowboy!  I said no such thing.

What i said was

"The second one was already answered (I thought) and the answer was it "will not".  There will be PvP and if you want to make the most of the game you will have to take part... but there will be safeguards / safe areas.  At least that's what i thought I read here: http://community.cro...sponse/?p=18417

But, I guess people see what they want to see and interpret how they want to."

So, what I said was "maybe the Dev answer isn't clear".  I thought it was... clearly it isn't.

Which brings me back to the point.  I want to see a clear Dev statement.  Unfortunately, they are unlikely to make it for ~30 days (in order to generate hype?)

I just hope it doesn't back fire on them when in ~30 days they don't say the game will be exactly like the community has convinced themselves it will be.

You really did latch onto the least important part of my post there, didn't you?

Well I'm hoping at the very least that we either have a tutorial and or a safe area for me to learn.

I'm certainly not going to be the most stylish player out there.

Once I get my head around the keyboard/battle mechanics and try to speed up my reflexes then fine.

Would you guys be adverse to that idea?

288mqgz.png

You really did latch onto the least important part of my post there, didn't you?

No.  I highlighted the fact that words are important.  In the space of two pages you took my quote from "I thought they said there might be safeguards / safezones from PvP..." to "...it's the same link you posted a few posts up that you are claiming confirms there will be safe areas."

We went from "I thought" and "might" to ->  "confirms".

And that is what is happening with this whole forum.

There is all this "Dev information" out there saying all sorts of stuff... that the Devs have never actually said.

And when this is pointed out I get told to "read everything".

PvP is a major focus.  Okay.

Could there be other areas of major focus too?

To give an example - in Vanguard combat was a major focus... so was diplomacy (with a complete sub game and quest line) and so was crafting.

If a Dev had said Diplomacy is a major focus would that have been true?  Would that have meant no crafting?

Well I'm hoping at the very least that we either have a tutorial and or a safe area for me to learn.

I'm certainly not going to be the most stylish player out there.

Once I get my head around the keyboard/battle mechanics and try to speed up my reflexes then fine.

Would you guys be adverse to that idea?

It really does depend on the game... which we know so little about.

The first PvP game i ever played had a minimal tutorial and no safe zone and it was Permadeath.

Then again the 'characters' were generic (new 'characters' generated in seconds) and the mechanics were simple.  So in that case you really did have to learn by jumping right in - and you lost nothing when you lost.

Games like Vanguard involved lots of character creation time and there were lots of things you needed to learn... in that case you need a tutorial zone.

No.  I highlighted the fact that words are important.  In the space of two pages you took my quote from "I thought they said there might be safeguards / safezones from PvP..." to "...it's the same link you posted a few posts up that you are claiming confirms there will be safe areas."

We went from "I thought" and "might" to ->  "confirms".

And that is what is happening with this whole forum.

There is all this "Dev information" out there saying all sorts of stuff... that the Devs have never actually said.

And when this is pointed out I get told to "read everything".

PvP is a major focus.  Okay.

Could there be other areas of major focus too?

To give an example - in Vanguard combat was a major focus... so was diplomacy (with a complete sub game and quest line) and so was crafting.

If a Dev had said Diplomacy is a major focus would that have been true?  Would that have meant no crafting?

Exactly!  Take this statement for example:

ThomasB, on 14 Jan 2015 - 4:32 PM, said:snapback.png

There are plenty of activities that can be accomplished through solo play. Unfortunately at this point I can't cite examples since we are still revealing the game and I wouldn't want to give it away. I can assure you though there was no meeting where we sat down and drew an X through the words solo play.

Now, this statement can mean different things to different people depending on what they want to see in game.  One person could interpret it as they may be able to craft w/ o any interference at all where another may say it doesn't say that at all just says you can do something alone but of course you are taking a chance of being ganked while doing it.  It is always going to be open to the point of reference the reader is coming from.

Maybe it not about the happy ending. Maybe it's about the story.

RIP Doc Gonzo "to anyone...speak your mind...defend your position...be prepared for an Argument and enjoy the process of the discussion...that's all part of any good Forum experience"