Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jtoddcoleman

01/20/15 - Character Creation Preview: Runes Runes Runes

- Next up is an example Fealty Chart.  This isn't a guild org chart -- we support guilds (and guild structures) but we've laid a different system on top of that, which ties player fealty directly to land ownership.   More on that system, and how it ties to siege conquest, will be coming soon. 

On the surface this reminds me of the allegiance system in Ascheron Call.  The driving factor was to get as far up the tree to get the experience bonus from your minions.  I hope the CF system ties more into the competitive metagame and look forward to more details.  This might be where the organizational ability of established guilds will start to pay dividends.

rSHxVEY.gif

I just hope we're not stuck being part of a fealty though. I can care less about kings, queens, dukes and barons. I want to be able to play as a mercenary or thieve. :-)

ZCcquVD.png

THE most active European Crowfall community. Join us now!

Character creation is looking really interesting. I'd really like to see that appearances tab. I'm still guessing it is gender/race locked creation, but I can be ok with that I guess.

I'm also guessing the crests from last week ARE npc Houses, which each player pledges fealty to. There will apparently be a way to increase rank, gaining land holding privileges. I'm curious how guilds will fit into this exactly.

My biggest question is faction based or guild based pvp? I'm guessing faction based, but more fluid than horde vs alliance.

Game of Thrones reference inc.

House bolton pledges fealty to Starks. Bolton makes deal with Lannisters and backstabs his own king. Starks and Lannisters are the crests on last weeks charts. We play the Boltons, Freys, etc lesser houses.

JTC...thanks again for moar teases...

and...will you have mah cyberbabies?

cereally....awesome to see the "traits" section...some to gain points (disadvantages) some to spend them on....

looks like i was correct on the dots under the model being for male and female....

the "fealty" bit looks interesting, can't wait to see MOAR!!!

i can haz alpha?

Actually, it looks like the dots represent the steps on character creation.
Gender selection certainly would be more clear than simple dots.
This is just my opinion of course, I might be wrong.
Edited by gahius

Something I just noticed on this page of the Character Creation screen, in the upper right corner there is a tab called Promotion Classes. Looks like they are using what SB called professions as an extra layer of customization. Wonder what the classes each archetype is promotable to.

Actually, it looks like the dots represent the steps on character creation.
Gender selection certainly would be more clear than simple dots.
This is just my opinion of course, I might be wrong.

and i'd agree if there isn't a third screen, eh?

to me, the two dots are for model's gender....the "next" arrow takes you to the next screen...pretty standard fare, imo

FIQw0eP.png

let the Code build the World and it's Laws....let the Players build the rest...

The runes should offer some variety in builds, but I get the feeling that people are simply going to just google "best build" in the internet and pick whichever minmaxed build fits their play style best (Like every other MMO!). However, it stills offers depth and complexity for people who want it which is a nice addition.

Shadowbane was the same way, yes you could google builds, and many people did after rolling terrible characters, but at least you have the option to do something completely different (unlike every other mmo).  Want to roll an ambidexterity caster and equip throwing daggers that proc magic damage?  Sure, but you'll have to figure out a way via stats and you'll have to survive combat much closer that a far away caster.

Being able to do silly things like this made the game amazing, regardless of it being unbalanced.  Even if guilds ran overpowered builds, there was always a way to rock their scissors.

to me, the two dots are for model's gender....the "next" arrow takes you to the next screen...pretty standard fare, imo

There is actually a tab called "Appearance" over there, so wouldn't be difficult to guess gender can be found from there, if from any location.

01/20/15 - Character Creation Preview: Runes Runes Runes

- Lastly, presenting the 2/2 page of character creation -- in which a few more questions are answered.  In this one, you get a glimpse of the "Advantages" and "Disadvantages" system (which SB players will recognize as a direct descendent of the talents and traits system, only with more customization.)  As an interesting side note, we're actually in the process of going over these two pages (again!) right now, looking for ways to further streamline the interface.  Next time you see these screens, we'll likely have split it into 3 pages (to split appearance customization out as a separate step.)

As I quoted above, as of right now, there are 2 screens only.

There is actually a tab called "Appearance" over there, so wouldn't be difficult to guess gender can be found from there, if from any location.

possible...but if you look at the first screen with the Knight, the dot is to the left...this one is female, dot on the right

hey, it's my guess, and i'm sticking to it!!! (the appearance tab would be based on which gender....same as SB)

malenx makes some great points above me here....i can only hope the flexibility to make insane builds, and to get them to work, is going to be here

as for googling builds....if you think the competitive Guilds are posting their best for the public to see....then i've got this wonderful bridge on some beach property to sell you pretty cheap....

FIQw0eP.png

let the Code build the World and it's Laws....let the Players build the rest...

Character creation is looking really interesting. I'd really like to see that appearances tab. I'm still guessing it is gender/race locked creation, but I can be ok with that I guess.

I'm also guessing the crests from last week ARE npc Houses, which each player pledges fealty to. There will apparently be a way to increase rank, gaining land holding privileges. I'm curious how guilds will fit into this exactly.

My biggest question is faction based or guild based pvp? I'm guessing faction based, but more fluid than horde vs alliance.

Game of Thrones reference inc.

House bolton pledges fealty to Starks. Bolton makes deal with Lannisters and backstabs his own king. Starks and Lannisters are the crests on last weeks charts. We play the Boltons, Freys, etc lesser houses.

I said it up thread I think it will be both faction and Guild based PvP. What you are seeing IMHO is the picture of the Character a Guild leader plays. So if Guild X controls a certain area or amount of area they become the feudal lord of that area thus becoming a Baron/Baroness or along those lines. Possibly after that if you beat an in faction guild you rise up in rank and that guild owes fealty to your guild. Thus the march to controlling your faction. On top of that your faction will have to ally/fight other factions to control larger areas of the world map. Think Medeval Europe and countries like England and France, they had a King and an aristocracy under them and each aristocrat had his men at arms (guild members). They connived and sometimes had actual wars amongst themselves to established who ruled who in that Kingdom. At the same time those countries would fight against each other or ally together against a third country.