Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jtoddcoleman

01/20/15 - Character Creation Preview: Runes Runes Runes

If any of you guys have played CK2, this looks exactly like their ruler designer in terms of stats. Kind've interesting.

Crusader Kings 2 was the first thing I though of when I saw the feudal hierarchy chart. I'm speculating that character will be ranked based on their holdings. 

Baron controls a city

Count controls a county or has a baron as a vassal

Duke controls more than one county or has a count as a vassal

King controls more thank on duchy or has a duke as a vassal

I hope they allow for complex governmental systems. Example scenario:

An absolute monarch controls a kingdom. He becomes a real jerk and sets the kingdom taxes real high. He is known for visiting the courts of his dukes, drinking all the ale and trying to bed their daughters. He puts anyone who looks at him wrong on the kingdom kill on sight list. The dukes and all the lower nobility have finally had enough.

They get together and start plotting. They decide that flat out rebellion will be costly to their holding's economy's so they want to avoid a drawn out war if they can. They don't want their king, rich from the months (IRL time) of taxes he's been collecting, to hire a bunch of out of the kingdom mercenaries to come in a raid their holdings.

They present the king with an ultimatum. Either you change the government type to an elective monarchy where we vote once a month (IRL time) to see who is king and you make kingdom tax rate changes also require a vote or we will rebel and replace you.

The king already lost all that tax money playing poker down at the tavern. (the people who took his money are now on the kingdom kill on sight list by the way). So he does not have the money for mercenaries and the king agrees to the terms.

It would be great if there were game mechanics in place that allowed for the creation of such laws.

Edited by JayPickle

If this is some sort of a SB-CK2ish fusion MMORTSRPG, I'm going to throw myself through a window and put it on youtube.

I think you can put your camera up.  I am betting there is no risk of that fusion happening here.

Edited by Etheric

I am a total newbie in this, but is seems a bit... complex. I hope that in the end casual players can catch up too.

Play shadow bane on magicbane.com. Just make a character to see what it's like to build one, there are guides etc all over the place. 

The best way to describe it is, you start with X number of creation points each choice you make costing X number of points. Depending on your choices of race/class/special traits depends on what your starting stats AND ENDING stats look like. You also apply "Runes" in game to boost the Cap on certain stats or add abilities. 

There are defined rules/bonuses/penalty's for each choice you make as well, such as bonus resistances at the cost of run speed and only certain races can promote to certain classes etc etc.

**Also to add

This game type is perfect for casual play. You can log in at any time and find people to fight and/or fight with your guild for resources at the same time every night. There is no "catch up" to be done because as soon as your character is leveled(fairly rapidly I hope) and geared your set. 

Just as long as they don't do some raid gear/bound equipment lameness like most of the mmo's around. 

Edited by jdub

Play shadow bane on magicbane.com. Just make a character to see what it's like to build one, there are guides etc all over the place. 

So what is the difference between SBEmu and Magicbane?

I wish the character creation choices you make weren't permanent. Starting off as a new player, choosing things by yourself, and then a month later regretting on your 'max'd out character' because you chose to reduce your dexterity to give more strength when you should have taken movement speed instead kind of sucks. Assuming that it actually matters what you choose in the beginning that is. Having to reroll a character because of something like this is dumb imo.

Or you could realize that you made those choices because they fit your playstyle, not because they were uber, and continue to play the style you chose, learning how to be successful with that you have, instead of lamenting the fact that you're not FotM?

I'm in this for the Experience, not the XP.

Or you could realize that you made those choices because they fit your playstyle, not because they were uber, and continue to play the style you chose, learning how to be successful with that you have, instead of lamenting the fact that you're not FotM?

I'm all for this and whatnot, but my precious feelings have been hurt before. I've gone up to groups asking if I could join in on the icecream eating fun only to have them then call me a "scrublord" and to "gtfo" because this month is vanilla month not artichoke mango peppermint red velvet baklava month, and let me tell you it is NEVER artichoke mango peppermint red velvet baklava month, even though it's the bestest! If only you would give it a chance.

JTodd has responded a few times to GURPS references and, iirc, admitted to SB runes being, at least partially, GURPS inspired. And, of course, CF is SB inspired.

I'm in this for the Experience, not the XP.

Sounds like a perfect job for the non pvp'ers huh? :)

You know what.

In military renesaince.

There were flag holders and drummers~

Both just marched with the assault.

Mostly dieing instantly when they reached the enemys range.

But it sure boosted the morale~

"For glory!"

*drummers hit their sticks*

... then they all died. Boosting the enemys morale.

"Did you see these idiots ... way to go."

"Haha yeah, this will be easy."

"Come on guys focus! These noobs aren't going to pwn themself!"

I wish the character creation choices you make weren't permanent. Starting off as a new player, choosing things by yourself, and then a month later regretting on your 'max'd out character' because you chose to reduce your dexterity to give more strength when you should have taken movement speed instead kind of sucks. Assuming that it actually matters what you choose in the beginning that is. Having to reroll a character because of something like this is dumb imo.

It's called thinking ones action through.

That think you needed to do when statting your char.

Like how you could either just go 99/99 on the two primary stats on a char of Ragnarok Online. And never be wrong.

But you would need to think about many things ...

-do i want to be able to hit more often?

-better cast time?

-more health and def?

-more speed?

-more bang in my magic?

You couldnt be all. A Char that was 40 all, just sucked in comparision to 99/99.

Even more so against someone who build to a certain choice.

Having a Priest with 80 int, 70 Vit and 40 dex.

Made you a somehwat-fast-caster-with-a-pool-of-health-and-a-good-heal.

That Priest wasn't perfect.

He wasn't one fo the two ways to go. Either full int/vit or full int/dex.

But he rocked in many situations, he specialzied in.

Tanking, surviving pvp and even spamming buffs.

--

So to come back.

Someone who choses to create a character.

NEEDS to think about "What do i wanna be?".

You still can take many psoitvie things. Just don't take a negative one! If your not sure.

For me.

As i will go supportive.

It's all about intelligenze, speed and dexerity.

Why?

I need mana and more mana.

I need speed to move around alot.

I need dexerity for my bow atks.

If you chose wrongly ... and you need to reset. Just your bad.

Should have spent a few moments reading tooltips or wiki's.

Anyone with experience in MMORPG's knows that ...

But anyways. No build will be so messed up, that's it not playable.

Just that you need to adapt to that.

Went for STR on a Frostweaver?

Go for melle fights, sprinkling your ice to slow these squishys!

Went for Dexertiy and minus strength on knight?

Sucks to be you, but you still rule as archer with a high health pool and life regen.

See where i am going with this?

Nothing is wrong, as long as you feel right about it.

In the end a reroll, just happens. When you really don't want to play that type anymore.