Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jtoddcoleman

01/20/15 - Character Creation Preview: Runes Runes Runes

as for googling builds....if you think the competitive Guilds are posting their best for the public to see....then i've got this wonderful bridge on some beach property to sell you pretty cheap....

Pretty much this. The character creation is the same as Shadowbanes, this pretty much alone hands it away that there won't be your standard mmo cookie-cutter builds out there. You can at best find a "solid" build if advocate of a class posts it out, but it by any means isn't the most efficient one they have. Same goes for all the builds, the system is so complex "min-maxed" build is a utopia, since different builds will fare better in different situations.

The runes should offer some variety in builds, but I get the feeling that people are simply going to just google "best build" in the internet and pick whichever minmaxed build fits their play style best (Like every other MMO!). However, it stills offers depth and complexity for people who want it which is a nice addition.

Since they are going with a modified SB system, then no that isn't how it worked historically in SB. Guilds did not post their builds on open forums, they would set up restricted access spreadsheets on Google Docs or in a locked area of their Guild Forums, but never in the open. Hell 10 years later no one, not even my best friend who played with me, has my Centaur Prelate build. Oh I made templates for a Guild Spec group that only the guild saw but that isn't what I played and I'm not in the minority with this. Even when we had guild templates, with the rune system each player customized their particular build to their playstyle. Then on top of that with that much variation you will not have a "Best Build" since there is counters to it. Never in SB history has any one class/profession/build been dominate for long periods of time, they get countered by another guilds spec group and you have to start over.

*reads* 'Advantages' AND 'Disadvantages'... *clenches fist and makes pulling gesture* Yeshhhhh. Intuition? You whispered me 'this one will be good'. Here, good girl. Have a cookie. *familiar starts crunching enthusiastically*

:)

Love your character system. Although it is not yet all clear so far so good. So very good.

oaOnsEV.jpg?1

Crowfall_CharacterCreate_runes.jpg

This rune system seems very similar to the one in Vampire: Dark Ages wich is AWESOME!

Loved that game.

Looks like character customization is going to be a strong point in CF!

I'm hungry for more news!!

Something I didn't notice before, is that in the lower left hand corner of the character creation screens it says "Pre-Alpha"

Kinda ruins my hope that they were a lot further along then they were letting on. Was hoping for Beta this summer, but if they aren't even in Alpha yet, we are in for a excruciatingly long wait.

Omg i just had an orgasm just from watching 1 screen cant wait for whole game. Finaly true customization and not some stupid automat giving me stats for every level. Also i see Apperance tab. Omg huge stone drop down from my chest. Glad too see that i can change my char look.

Edited by sindor

I said it up thread I think it will be both faction and Guild based PvP. What you are seeing IMHO is the picture of the Character a Guild leader plays. So if Guild X controls a certain area or amount of area they become the feudal lord of that area thus becoming a Baron/Baroness or along those lines. Possibly after that if you beat an in faction guild you rise up in rank and that guild owes fealty to your guild. Thus the march to controlling your faction. On top of that your faction will have to ally/fight other factions to control larger areas of the world map. Think Medeval Europe and countries like England and France, they had a King and an aristocracy under them and each aristocrat had his men at arms (guild members). They connived and sometimes had actual wars amongst themselves to established who ruled who in that Kingdom. At the same time those countries would fight against each other or ally together against a third country.

What confuses me most, the dragon crest in this shot is NOT one if the crests on the tree from last week, iirc. But at the same time, JTC said this is not a guild organization chart. So yeah, I'm definitely mildly confused. This also implies internal faction fighting, which would be bad for the faction, making it a juicy target for external forces. The King would have to keep all these guilds in line somehow.

"You are only a Count and want to be a Baron? Stop attavking XYZ guild for his land. I'll rally the banners against the House of Kane and give you a Baron holding from THEM instead."

We have yet to see a unique "hero" yet with different customizations except for gender. So maybe it is like a moba in that way.

Quick edit. I meant appearance wise

Edited by cash

X6RBqg7.gif

Something I didn't notice before, is that in the lower left hand corner of the character creation screens it says "Pre-Alpha"

Kinda ruins my hope that they were a lot further along then they were letting on. Was hoping for Beta this summer, but if they aren't even in Alpha yet, we are in for a excruciatingly long wait.

or....they are trolling us with older screen on purpose....

some of these Devs, we know from previous Games....they is sneaksy bastiches who right now are filling their hot tubs with the tears of those who crai in anticipation....

FIQw0eP.png

let the Code build the World and it's Laws....let the Players build the rest...

Since they are going with a modified SB system, then no that isn't how it worked historically in SB. Guilds did not post their builds on open forums, they would set up restricted access spreadsheets on Google Docs or in a locked area of their Guild Forums, but never in the open. Hell 10 years later no one, not even my best friend who played with me, has my Centaur Prelate build. Oh I made templates for a Guild Spec group that only the guild saw but that isn't what I played and I'm not in the minority with this. Even when we had guild templates, with the rune system each player customized their particular build to their playstyle. Then on top of that with that much variation you will not have a "Best Build" since there is counters to it. Never in SB history has any one class/profession/build been dominate for long periods of time, they get countered by another guilds spec group and you have to start over.

Partially true. Most builds early on were kept "secret" but the last half of live and even into the emu's builds were tossed around all over. I highly doubt your centaur prelate build is anything special because centaur prelates are junk. But hey, what do I know having been part of the dominant SB guild for the last 5-6 years.

possible...but if you look at the first screen with the Knight, the dot is to the left...this one is female, dot on the right

hey, it's my guess, and i'm sticking to it!!! (the appearance tab would be based on which gender....same as SB)

I agree with you Doc.

The top left has two choices Appearance/Runes  ---- The top right has two choices Info/Promotion classes.  So the two dots on the bottom seem to have nothing to do with which page you are on.  And it specifies female/male at the top right next to where it says Frostweaver.  The last SS didn't show all of that. 

Edited by mal

Great art direction, this 3rd screenshot confirms it. Gorgeous and unique. I can't wait to see the characters in motion.

Also loving the customization page. Can't wait to learn more.

I agree with you Doc.

The top left has two choices Appearance/Runes ---- The top right has two choices Info/Promotion classes. So the two dots on the bottom seem to have nothing to do with which page you are on. And it specifies female/male at the top right next to wear it says Frostweaver. The last SS didn't show all of that.

Good point. Having the female symbol is a bit asinine if they are gender locked. I'm curious if the Knight shot was from an earlier point in development or if they backpedaled that decision.