Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jtoddcoleman

01/20/15 - Character Creation Preview: Runes Runes Runes

Well this update solidifies my thought from day one on these forums. Going to be based off a Fuedal type system, I hope they go as deep with it as I have thought about for years!!!

I also posted I hoped they would go with creation similar to Shadowbanes, which they are doing! Best character creation in any game EVER in my opinion!

The more they let out to us, the more I am seeing its the game I been waiting for some to make for me :)

On gender lock issue, I believe we will see some of the promotion classes being gender specific, like SB was as well. Will depend on lore etc. 

I am excited to see how the fuedal system will entangle with already established guild structures!

It also opens the possibility of something like "trade routes" or "supply lines," which would make tasty targets for specialized attack squads.

And this open to mercenaries, that can be hired to protect your caravans. :)

Edited by kdchan

Archduchess Alice

For all of you non SB players, it might be worthwhile to check out either of the emulators to get a feel for this concept of character creation.  It is very similar to SB.  In this area I think that SB players might have an early advantage. 

Some of us fast learners, friend. Also not first rodeo. Thanks for advice, though.

oaOnsEV.jpg?1

I am not sure where people are getting gender locks from. There's always the possibility that some classes are, but gender selection would be under the appearance tab on the top left of the screenshot, as would race.

Edited by frozenshadow

The more I look at this, I see a lot of wars and fun politics on a "local" level and a world wide level as well, IF you can get everyone on the local level to come together that is :) ... I am loving where this is going

Huh, ok. Well, how it worked in olden times was the landowners had serfs (fancy name for slaves) and when the horns were blowing the landowner marched all his serfs out to fight for his liege (however far up the line it goes). If these people are landowners, then probably guild leaders. That would make all the guildies into professional soldiers (few), artisans (few), landless knights (very few) and serfs (buttloads).

You folks prepared to be serfs?

No, I don't think they'll be quite that true to history.

Yeah. Serfs - if they'll be present in some other way than abstract numbers - will be NPC. So they can be that true to history or not. There is no way players will be peasants.

oaOnsEV.jpg?1

I see a king without a queen!

ma-sig.png
Merketh: "If you are looking for a loot grind that's equivalent to PvE raid experiences of other MMO's, where you max your ilevel, wait for the next content patch, rinse repeat then this is absolutely not the game for you."

I am not sure where people are getting gender locks from. There's always the possibility that some classes are, but gender selection would be under the appearance tab on the top left of the screenshot, as would race.

I'm of the opinion, currently, that some "promotion classes" are likely to be biological-sex limited (I only use this term because gender, to me, is really more about a spectrum than a difference in sex).  

Today's character creation screen ("Customize Hero") includes at top right side the archetype icon, an icon indicating biological sex, and the archetype name.  The previous screen for the Knight ("Archetype Selection") didn't have the sex indicator.  I tend to think the two dots below the character are for the two pages, "Archetype Selection" and "Customize Hero."  The indication that a third screen will probably be developed where the "look and feel" of the character can be modified makes me think we'll soon have three dots, and today's screenie will probably change to "Customize Runes," and the third page will be "Customize Appearance," or some such.

I'm hoping that third "look and feel" screen will include the option of selecting your character's biological sex and selecting what races fit for the archetype and the promotion class, but I think the evidence so far is still too limited for us to know.  Here's to hoping.

Huh, ok. Well, how it worked in olden times was the landowners had serfs (fancy name for slaves) and when the horns were blowing the landowner marched all his serfs out to fight for his liege (however far up the line it goes). If these people are landowners, then probably guild leaders. That would make all the guildies into professional soldiers (few), artisans (few), landless knights (very few) and serfs (buttloads).

You folks prepared to be serfs?

No, I don't think they'll be quite that true to history.

Ah the myth of vast serf armies during medieval times still persists. The only place that mainly used a serf army during that entire time was Russia most of western Europe used Mercenaries once they got out of the Dark Ages, and once they found out their serf/citizen militias got stomped on by opponents that hired Mercenaries. Also feudal lords would keep large numbers (for the day, have to keep primitive logistics in mind) of mercenaries employed:

By the campaign in the spring of 1342, the Florentine army contained 2,000 mounted mercenaries and only 40 citizen cavalry (Bayley 1961, p. 15). Venice also created a standing army of mercenaries as did all the other Italian city/states. This was the condottieri system which Mallett (1974, pp. 11-12) argues developed primarily for military reasons.  http://www.personal.psu.edu/~dxl31/research/presentations/mercenary.html

The other thing to keep in mind is when military campaigns happened: Planting season thru harvest just when you need the serfs in the fields. Also this was the time of siege warfare when few open field battles were fought and you don't man castles with serfs you do it with professionals.

Good point. Having the female symbol is a bit asinine if they are gender locked. I'm curious if the Knight shot was from an earlier point in development or if they backpedaled that decision.

I'm going to think that there's a strong possibility the community may have swayed them for gender choices;)