Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jtoddcoleman

01/20/15 - Character Creation Preview: Runes Runes Runes

could be sick if guilds carry banners into battle instead of crests-floating-above-your-head like sb

and being able to put that banner poll through the dead on the ground :)

yes...the name was QFT

no one knows what it really stands for....

and it is wise you came back....

now, if i can contain my curiosity until further info is shared.....well, that's another Story....

Wise... I think it is. Lately we have a lot of old becoming new. From remastering of old titles to new games based on old concepts, but offering new in-depth experience. A kind of game Renaissance if you will. My chance, I guess.

Than you are much more man of willpower than I am. I just can't contain it. The more I see more I want to know about this game. It's like thirst.

Please, oh benevolent gods... ahem... developers, bestow upon our humble *involuntary chuckle* community blessing of testing... I promise to be a good beater... *coughs* I... meant - tester.

:) 

oaOnsEV.jpg?1

that being said...Brek (brave sir robin) and Thallis are peeking....so be afraid....be very afraid....

Would love to see those guys in-game again.

The Shipwrecked Pirates

www.thesaltymaid.com

Would love to see those guys in-game again.

so would i...

2 of the very BEST when it comes to template building....and i can't think of anyone who knew more about Warriors, period

FIQw0eP.png

let the Code build the World and it's Laws....let the Players build the rest...

OK, it isn't clear from the screenshot, so let me jump in and clarify a bit.

- Most of the archetypes are not gender locked.  As a general rule humanoid archetypes allow for both genders, non-humanoids do not.  We made gut-level calls based on a combination of narrative and the expected popularity of the archetype.  In other words, we're not going to spend the time and effort to build a female Elken if we think no one is going to play it.

...that said, if it seems like we left one out -- and you guys feel strongly about it -- we can always add it.  It's not "cheap", but it is "easy"  -- meaning that isn't not a difficult or risky task, because it doesn't change the system or the design.  It's just new art.

- After selection of archetype, the system opens up in terms of appearance and customization: advantages / disadvantages, promotion classes and other specializations (some of which we haven't talked about yet.)

- No, the weapon choices are not locked to the archetype.  If you pick up a sword, and you have the pre-reqs, you can use it.  Want to use a bow?  Equip that, instead.  A few weapons are specific to particular base or promotion class (like the Icecleaver, above) but that's the exception, not the norm.

More of this will make sense once we release more detailed information about character advancement.  Runes are just the first piece of the puzzle.

Todd

ACE

J Todd Coleman

ArtCraft Entertainment, Inc.

Follow us on Twitter @CrowfallGame | Like us on Facebook

[Rules of Conduct]

Why lol

Probably so we can take the banners and burn the enemy's if we win, or plant the banners ourselves on top of castles, or any other number of things people can come up with...maybe use the banners as weapons in a pinch?

- Most of the archetypes are not gender locked.  As a general rule humanoid archetypes allow for both genders, non-humanoids do not.  We made gut-level calls based on a combination of narrative and the expected popularity of the archetype.  In other words, we're not going to spend the time and effort to build a female Elken if we think no one is going to play it.

...that said, if it seems like we left one out -- and you guys feel strongly about it -- we can always add it.  It's not "cheap", but it is "easy"  -- meaning that isn't not a difficult or risky task, because it doesn't change the system or the design.  It's just new art.

- After selection of archetype, the system opens up in terms of appearance and customization: advantages / disadvantages, promotion classes and other specializations (some of which we haven't talked about yet.)

- No, the weapon choices are not locked to the archetype.  If you pick up a sword, and you have the pre-reqs, you can use it.  Want to use a bow?  Equip that, instead.  A few weapons are specific to particular base or promotion class (like the Icecleaver, above) but that's the exception, not the norm.

More of this will make sense once we release more detailed information about character advancement.  Runes are just the first piece of the puzzle.

Todd

ACE

OKAY! I am starting to like it...When are we going to get some Lore drops in then. I wanna know all about the only-female Archtypes...

Todd

ACE

ok...now i gotta clean off mah monitaur...

thank you for the clarification....

moar pl0x?

FIQw0eP.png

let the Code build the World and it's Laws....let the Players build the rest...

I am just glad that that is out of way now. We have confirmation that some will be gender-locked. Most aren't though. Should be a pretty good compromise if there are 24 base Archtypes available at launch.

Probably so we can take the banners and burn the enemy's if we win, or plant the banners ourselves on top of castles, or any other number of things people can come up with...maybe use the banners as weapons in a pinch?

Ok but what do you do with it? Plant it go to battle and pick it up once done?

Maybe the banners are comparable to "bane stones"

Awesome! Now, going to point something out, if you look at who owns the town, the king, it should be, king/queen, otherwise, your saying girls can't rule the land! I'm worried about this, yes, it would be realistic but, honestly, I feel that'd be really unfair. 

I say to you: the Hunger is not your enemy. Your enemy walks among you, charming and handsome, with a tongue full of lies.

- Lastly, presenting the 2/2 page of character creation -- in which a few more questions are answered.  In this one, you get a glimpse of the "Advantages" and "Disadvantages" system (which SB players will recognize as a direct descendent of the talents and traits system, only with more customization.)  As an interesting side note, we're actually in the process of going over these two pages (again!) right now, looking for ways to further streamline the interface.  Next time you see these screens, we'll likely have split it into 3 pages (to split appearance customization out as a separate step.)

Crowfall_CharacterCreate_runes.jpg

OK, I'm gonna fly right on past the part where I dislike the model and right into the meat

Runes: If you've played GURPS or several other systems, you know how this works. You get points back for taking bad things. You lose points for taking good things. I had a one-eyed, peg-legged, pirate pulled out of his time and into a laser gun future. You can bet I had some sweet bonuses to go with all that crap. I doubt this system will be as flexible as GURPS. It would be hard to balance that in-game.

For most its obvious. Dim witted takes a knock in your Int for a bonus of points to spend elsewhere, great. But others are less obvious. Does it actually have repercussions if you take "poor eyesight"? Does your draw distance get limited no matter how good your vid card is and how far out you set the depth of field? I hope so.

Ambidexterity modifies Dex (no surprise), Demonic blood is a Str buff (of course). Eagle Eye is Int (so is Poor Eyesight an Int knock? odd choice imho), Fleet Footed is Movement (duh).

Seven slots for Rune combinations at creation. That's a good number, methinks. Wonder if more slots open up later? Or are these runes your "backstory", immutable after creation?

Attributes: Armor is still an attribute. That still bothers me. Though the fact that her leg armor consists mostly of bandages does reflect a lower rating than the Knight. Who knows at this point. They still haven't scrolled that right-hand pane down. Tricksy devses...

Dots: As I had guessed, the dots at the bottom are the second step in the character creation process, after step one, choosing an Archetype. Go me. This step includes both appearance and runes. Though they said there may be a third page, customization. Neat.

Statistics:  I find it interesting that she has +10 to movement but that hasn't increased her "dash count". Wonder what that is connected to then? The only attributes not modified are spirit and armor. Maybe there are dash specific runes....

My guesses would be weapon damage is a multi-attribute affair. with at least STR and DEX, possibly INT thrown into the pot. Crit chance is likely DEX, could have some INT. Crit damage DEX and STR. Hunger probably STR and the magic resistances INT (maybe some STR too).

When I break it down, I break it down.

I'm in this for the Experience, not the XP.

Seems like a decent meta-speculation that info releases are more-or-less following a schedule of Tuesdays and Thursdays

Edited by ciliano

jK2AOsQ.png