Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
lucius

Weapon Pre-Requisites

In a recent post ending the gender-lock discussion, JTC mentions archetypes are not weapon locked either, as long as you have the necessary pre-req.

What do you think this will mean?

My guess, this will be stat based requirements. No greatswords for you if you lack the Str.

BUT, this can also mean weapons locked based on level. Pretty typical themepark MMO stuff there.

I'm hoping for the former, rather than the latter. Any other possibilities of pre-reqs?

again, if the basics of our guess that this is very GURPS/SB based then weapons have their own stat you can spend points in (sometimes even a Mastery)

points determine the level of weapon able to be equipped as well as any bonus for using said weapon as well as weapon powers themselves

now, whether they start all at zero and you can only add....or whether starting skill is based on race, archetype, phase of th emoon or your mother's maiden name....?

we don't know yet

but if half my guesswork is on target, i'll be pretty pleased and try my best to BREAK IT as much as possible....

Edited by doc gonzo

FIQw0eP.png

let the Code build the World and it's Laws....let the Players build the rest...

again, if the basics of our guess that this is very GURPS/SB based then weapons have their own stat you can spend points in (sometimes even a Mastery)

points determine the level of weapon able to be equipped as well as any bonus for using said weapon as well as weapon powers themselves

now, whether they start all at zero and you can only add....or whether starting skill is based on race, archetype, phase of th emoon or your mother's maiden name....?

we don't know yet

but if half my guesswork is on target, i'll be pretty pleased and try my best to BREAK IT as much as possible....

Ok so in this GURPS/SB type system, it sounds like you have weapon skills - swords, axes, bows, etc. These don't increase with use, but with a point-buy system.

How do you get points? X number of points per level? Probably. But that means a leveling system like most MMOs. My gut feeling is they want to get away from that type of character growth.

I suppose in Crowfall we could have weapon leveling like vanilla WoW had, though they said they were limiting grinding. (Ever try to get max unarmed for giggles?)

Ok so in this GURPS/SB type system, it sounds like you have weapon skills - swords, axes, bows, etc. These don't increase with use, but with a point-buy system.

How do you get points? X number of points per level? Probably. But that means a leveling system like most MMOs. My gut feeling is they want to get away from that type of character growth.

I suppose in Crowfall we could have weapon leveling like vanilla WoW had, though they said they were limiting grinding. (Ever try to get max unarmed for giggles?)

ok, yes...you spent points when you leveled....a level cap limited how many points you had to spend per Build, and there are NEVER enough points to get everything you want...those decisions and rigorously testing and refining it, means all the difference

as for it being grindy...depends...in SB you could go from char creation screen to max level with full gear in 4 hours or so if you had a good Guild and knew what you were doing....a day or two if you didn't

sooOOOooOOOooOOoooo many Variables, so few Clues....

FIQw0eP.png

Levels

Race

Class

Archetype

Should all have an effect on how many but you'll get them as you progress (level)

Creation points are at character creation... stats go up and down based on runes.... can a player add more runes later in life?

Do promotion classes have an entirely different system? The same? How was it in SB?

We know there is progression or there wouldn't be promotion classes. What earns you a promotion? Valor in battle? Moving up in the fealty ranks? How is that accomplished? Politics?

So many questions...

I'm in this for the Experience, not the XP.

Creation points are at character creation... stats go up and down based on runes.... can a player add more runes later in life?

Do promotion classes have an entirely different system? The same? How was it in SB?

We know there is progression or there wouldn't be promotion classes. What earns you a promotion? Valor in battle? Moving up in the fealty ranks? How is that accomplished? Politics?

So many questions...

1 race cost points

2 creation runes cost points

3 you could add a rune with additional stat points if you met the requirements

85 in a stat line +5 rune available

90-10

95-15

100-20

105-25

110-30

115-35

120-40

The higher it got the more points it cost to apply ie +35 cost 39 to fully apply - +40 cost 46

You select Mage rogue fighter healer and once you hit lvl 10 you promoted to your desired class.

Each class had weapon and armor restrictions.

PS I'm drunk at the airport waiting for a plane to my next inspection site. If this is wrong I apologize but it's right enough to give you an idea.

Edited by zoopz

So many questions...

yes, they cost points...of course

it was additive, more stuff to spend points on...more decisions to be made

you promoted at level 10, the idea behind it was about the halfway point of newbie Island...a safe zone with it's own landmass, you got over a certain level and died/or left...you couldn't go back

whew...this helpful stuff is going to ruin my sterling reputation for snark....

FIQw0eP.png

Always the option of combo pre-reqs. That ridiculous rope-dart-scythe thing the blue elfy chick is swinging could need STR and DEX.

He did point out the scythe-thingy was an archetype specific weapon, and that there are a few others.  Which means that weapons will probably not based on stats, and instead be based on "focus skills" of some sort (and in that example, only that archetype can get the given focus skill).

I would like to see something similar to the freedom of Elder Scrolls: Online. You were able to equip any weapon and any set of armor you would like. I think this gave the player a lot of freedom.

Now saying that, I would say a Mage should be able to use heavy armor and a sword and shield just as good as a Knight, but there would be that option. I could see different classes or archetypes being more proficient in different weapons/armors along with a point system as levels were achieved to specialize or create a hybrid. This allows players to choose more of a style of how they want to play. The con to this is that majority of the time a hybrid class will never be able to compete with a specialized class.

Now in my opinion, in larger scale picture (and possibly sandbox picture) a hybrid class can be more utility and perhaps more useful. This is something I'm really interested in learning more about as more information comes out about the game.