Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Pann

Combat Chat V - Official discussion thread

I was hoping they were going to talk about some of the more controversial things like animation speeds, camera control, and strafing. It's still pretty early and we haven't played many archetypes so I can see why they maybe wouldn't want to talk about that stuff yet.

Yea to me these types of things are much more important to address.... they have far greater ramifications on the combat than individual powers. 

Skeggold, Skalmold, Skildir ro Klofnir

You guys are awesome! Getting more excited with every update.

PS Have you become BFF?

Totally, I even took one of Blairs kittens.

It gets on well with my Pug.  

Tully Ackland

ArtCraft Entertainment, Inc. 

Follow us on Twitter @CrowfallGame | Like us on Facebook

[Rules of Conduct]

I'm too hyped for ranger gameplay with the arrow physics. The capabilities I'm imagining with arrow arcs and predictions for player postions has me in an uproar.

It will be interesting to see a need to arc skills for max range if the arrows are physics objects. Also the balance for arrows if they are physics objects they become much harder to hit making a need for either a higher damage or fire rate to compensate. Although for me I'm wanting to see the stalker.

89W57Tu.jpg

I'm too hyped for ranger gameplay with the arrow physics. The capabilities I'm imagining with arrow arcs and predictions for player postions has me in an uproar.

I wouldn't be too exited for ranged attacks being more complicated then what the confessor has now. With the physics and the action combat, I don't think the servers will be able to handle much more. If you want to see some of the compromises that had to be made to make a similar system work, check out planetside 2. It has proper bullet drop/velocity etc. on most weapons, but it had to make some interesting compromises to make it work.

Might I interest you in a low-interest mortgage?

@Blair:  I'm not sure how to interpret your comments on hardware except for elitist and condescending.  I understand that minimum specs are a fact of life, and I count myself fortunate to have access to great hardware.  But our community has many players on older hardware who will be turning down the settings to 'Low' and playing for the love of the game.  I would hate to see ACE alienate those players.

Nazdar

Proud member of The Hunger

@Blair:  I'm not sure how to interpret your comments on hardware except for elitist and condescending.  I understand that minimum specs are a fact of life, and I count myself fortunate to have access to great hardware.  But our community has many players on older hardware who will be turning down the settings to 'Low' and playing for the love of the game.  I would hate to see ACE alienate those players.

GW already said in an interview that they are building the game for people with more modern hardware.... it's not surprising that extremely outdated systems aren't going to be able to manage....

If you have 6 years or older HW and expect to play every new game that comes out, you are either naive or plain stupid.

Its not elitist or condescending. They are making a game in 2015 with a release date in 2016, do you honestly expect them to cater to 8 year old HW?

I don't think they were trying to be condescending to players with older hardware.  I think they just didn't expect people, who put down quite a bit of money to test the game so early, to have relatively ancient technology.

I think they are more than willing to help support players who can only run on old hardware, I don't believe it's that difficult to allow for such things.  Though there is only so much they can actually do.

Screen_Shot_2015_09_13_at_3_04_43_PM.png

Check us out here.

@Ace

No, Thank you!  The vision, development process, and lack of NDA is not only a breath of fresh air, but somewhat ground breaking and I wish you nothing but the best.

If you have 6 years or older HW and expect to play every new game that comes out, you are either naive or plain stupid.

Its not elitist or condescending. They are making a game in 2015 with a release date in 2016, do you honestly expect them to cater to 8 year old HW?

For once I agree with you...

Some thoughts on combos / blocking. I finally got to play in the test on Sunday for the first time. Every team I was in (except one game with a Leggo) was me (Knight) and 2 confessors. It felt like almost every other team I encountered and fought against was also 2 confessors + other. I could barely land the odd attack on the confessors running all over the place, let alone any hope of a whole combo chain.

At one point my team of 3 spent like 5 minutes chasing a single confessor around the map before we gave up. Even when I landed my chain pulls, it would pull him like 1/3 of the distance back to me and he would just keep running long before we ever caught up. My charge seemed a little broken compared to what I had seen in some of the streams I watched - it just didn't travel very far at all.

It was a little frustrating that there was no way for me to lock someone down for even a short period of time. All of knights slows, stuns, or knockdowns are 2-3 moves deep in a combo tree. There is no possible way to Land any of the CC before your target just runs away.

That brings me to blocking. I quickly burned through all my stamina simply sprinting around trying in vain to get in range to land attacks, so I had no stamina left to actually block with. I understand why you want animation locking, but I would much prefer animation locking like in Black Desert. The combat in that game is so fluid, and even as a melee I have no trouble "sticking" to targets despite the animation locking. There animations allow you to move around within them and it greatly mitigates these issues. Even in Skyforge the basic "L-Click" combo makes you move toward your target for a very long way. Despite being stuck in the animation, you can stay on top of your target and not be kited endlessly.

Spending the whole game running around after targets and barely using abilities is just not fun. I hope you can do something to address this. Aside from those pretty large issues I'm impressed with the state of the game thus far. I just really hope you don't overlook the melees!

I don't think they were trying to be condescending to players with older hardware.  I think they just didn't expect people, who put down quite a bit of money to test the game so early, to have relatively ancient technology.

I think they are more than willing to help support players who can only run on old hardware, I don't believe it's that difficult to allow for such things.  Though there is only so much they can actually do.

This is a good point, if you put down 500+ this early in development it's surprising that you wouldn't have a decent cpu/gpu.....

I loved the chain pull physics, but I feel it is a bit broken to be able to launch someone like that. Especially when they just bounce off your character in the progress.

From the way they talked in the video, it is broken and they're working on smoothing that out. In the meantime, knights get to enjoy tossing everyone around the battlefield! Hooray for the entertaining (as opposed to the frustrating) pre-alpha bugs!

Great video guys, thanks for the update!

"Ok, here's plan A: First, we hit 'em...and we keep hitting 'em 'till we can't hit 'em no more. Then we kick 'em...and we keep on kicking 'em till we can't kick 'em no more. By that time, I figure our arms are rested, so we hit em......"

- Every Dwarf Ever.

I remember that one time when I killed Blaire... but I guess that didn't make the highlight reel! :D

Good work guys!

ACE just pointed out how nub @Valor is nothing to be seen here..

/continue..  :lol:

- He had 4 Hunger Dome wins though on the row - I was watching his stream too -

so I understand if @Valor is a little grumpy/uneasy after this evening combat chat.  ^_^

Edited by mythx

MQfHl7c.png

Crowfall Game Client: https://www.crowfall.com/en/client/