Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
xcomvic

What Payment Model Would You Like To See?

Best Business Model?  

1,100 members have voted

1. 1. What would you prefer to see as a business model other than Free to Play!

• Subscription Model ($5.00/month)
    • Subscription Model ($7.50/month)
    • Subscription Model ($10.00+/month)
    • Buy to Play with no Cash Shop (Pay once and for each expansion)
    • Buy to Play WITH Cash Shop (Guild Wars 2)
    • Something totally different (Please post your reason below)

I doubt it will be completely free they are putting a lot into this, but there will probably be a limited area where you can roam for free then everything else is for subscribers. I seriously doubt this'll be a p2w game since it wouldn't make sense for a potential full loot system. getting killed and loose the $50 sword you just bought would be a major turn off for everyone.

I hope it's like League or DotA. Cash rewards are purely cosmetic or for vanity.

The age of the pay to play MMO is over, honestly. Unless this will be absolutely phenomenal I can't see it succeeding as a p2p MMO and no chance it'll succeed as a sub based one.

People need to get something in their head:

EVERY MMO has gold sellers and people will buy from them. which means every game is p2w. Be it items, accounts or just cash...

so stop using that as an excuse/argument

Edited by freeze

I doubt it will be completely free they are putting a lot into this, but there will probably be a limited area where you can roam for free then everything else is for subscribers. I seriously doubt this'll be a p2w game since it wouldn't make sense for a potential full loot system. getting killed and loose the $50 sword you just bought would be a major turn off for everyone.

There's a little game called "Shaiya" where that is exactly what happens and surprisingly enough is still running and $50 in that game for a sword will get you absolutely nowhere especially in PvP. 

If you can't dazzle em with brilliance, baffle em with truthiness

Free to play would be cool if you have to use you social security number or something to make an account, so bots and what not would be reduced.

F2P to level X-for a taste of game coz ppl's wanna see it, test it and feel it.we can see this like a test drive.

Full game must be P2P.

Shop maybe but only vanity, cosmetics and character re-customization (like name change, faction change, race change etc.)

Edited by saane2

I hope it's like League or DotA. Cash rewards are purely cosmetic or for vanity.

This. But I would sub to the game if it was p2p. But a system where you can pay for just vanity items would be awesome. League of legends system is a good one.

Christ I hope it isn't free to pay to win.

That would be quite the let down.

That's the only way you can succeed as an MMO in this day and age. The graphics already seem a little outdated ( you can call it cartoony if you want but the real word is outdated ) and considering it seems to be a hardcore pvp game I wouldn't expect millions of casuals to flock to it.

So if they have a good business team they should know that there's little chance of succeeding with pay to play or subs.

As long as they make it f2p with an ingame cash shop that gives cosmetic rewards it's all good. 

Edited by pateuvasiliu

No shop. No cosmitc, no pets no nothing shop. Just pay 5$ or whatever each month. Shops are just ugly. I'm fine with race change etc. but no actual ingame items.

Edited by xotix

EVERY MMO has gold sellers and people will buy from them. which means every game is p2w. Be it items, accounts or just cash...

This is true.

However, like WoW has done back in the day, it doesn't matter how much gold you have - it's not going to buy you a Gladiator title, or loot from AQ40 if you're unguilded and running around in blues from UBRS and Strat.

Okay, if you pay certain players/guilds insane amounts of gold to get you that stuff, then you might - but that's different because you're buying from other players, not from the AH or the game. Plus, you can't carry someone who isn't a least 'good' to Gladiator.

I'm using WoW so most people can relate here - as long as in-game gold doesn't allow you to buy the best gear, rather that gear has to be obtained through being good enough to complete certain tasks, then it's fine.

I genuinely didn't mind about Gold Sellers in WoW. Okay, this guy has spent £500 on gold and is richer than me. I'm still known as one of the best Hunters on the server, and my gear is still much better than his - his gold doesn't get him anywhere.

Edited by xaine

There is a huge difference between buying from players and buying from the game directly. In the latter there is first a general loss in the atmosphere, 2nd resources are infinite, 3rd players are encouraged to buy legally with zero risks (which means 100:1 whales).

About cosmetic F2P, who wouldn't like that? This isn't DOTA though, I fear there's no real economy for useless things. When DOTA wasn't huge it didn't make money with cosmetics, it made money with publicity it gained for STEAM (and steam games in general), and then with the biggest ESPORTS tournaments ever seen (again, publicity). Then the WORKSHOP introduction changed the rules, but I don't think this is possible here.

There still could be a little economy for it though, so if they tried a hybrid model with 5-10$ subscription plus little cosmetics, they might be able to make profit.

Edited by fenrisddevil

y9tj8G5.png

There is a huge difference between buying from players and buying from the game directly. In the latter there is first a general loss in the atmosphere, 2nd resources are infinite, 3rd players are encouraged to buy legally with zero risks (which means 100:1 whales).

of course there's a difference...

but people that use a p2w excuse in most cases don't care about the difference. They're salty that the cc-warrior has better gear than them. Plain and simple.

The initial p2w argument, from years back, was about stuff that could only be gotten through the cash-shop. Most powerful items were only available to paying customers. But people have been throwing around that term so much, that it got watered down and nowadays can basically be applied to all games.

and @xaine

I don't think we will see bind on pickup equip, so all the WoW comparisons are irrelevant in my mind atm.

of course there's a difference...

but people that use a p2w excuse in most cases don't care about the difference. They're salty that the cc-warrior has better gear than them. Plain and simple.

The initial p2w argument, from years back, was about stuff that could only be gotten through the cash-shop. Most powerful items were only available to paying customers. But people have been throwing around that term so much, that it got watered down and nowadays can basically be applied to all games.

and @xaine

I don't think we will see bind on pickup equip, so all the WoW comparisons are irrelevant in my mind atm.

Agreed. From my own personal experience "shaiya" from Aeria games is an epitomic example of true P2W imo.

The way their system works is they have a microtransaction shop of course and  these things called Lapis and Lapisia that you can link to gear for better stats on the gear you obtain in game. Even when the RNGods are in your favor the most you can link to any gear is 8 but when I was playing around 20 in each piece of gear was the cap (could be higher now). The kicker was one weekend out of every month they would run these specials and they way it worked was you had to spend $140 in their cash shop for a guaranteed whopping 2 links of those lapis or lapisia into 1 piece of gear. Well, when you take into how many peices of gear and the aspect of a 4 part elemental system that also produced major stat boosts it wouldn't be hard to imagine somebody was wearing gear that was worth literally $1000s not to mention if they had different elemental gear ready to switch out. So if they weren't currently buffed to avoid looting people would get pretty upset and understandably so and yes it did happen every now and then lol. It wasn't rare for a dps class to run into a heals class of the exact same lvl that could one hit kill that dps due to that system.

So far in my personal experience that is the only true example of P2W that I have run into. Any other microtransaction shop that I have seen is purely aesthetics and no more. BTW, as I stated b4 that game is still running surprisingly enough and it's been out for awhile

Edited by stevencolbear

If you can't dazzle em with brilliance, baffle em with truthiness