Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
xcomvic

What Payment Model Would You Like To See?

Best Business Model?  

1,100 members have voted

1. 1. What would you prefer to see as a business model other than Free to Play!

• Subscription Model ($5.00/month)
    • Subscription Model ($7.50/month)
    • Subscription Model ($10.00+/month)
    • Buy to Play with no Cash Shop (Pay once and for each expansion)
    • Buy to Play WITH Cash Shop (Guild Wars 2)
    • Something totally different (Please post your reason below)

I am glad you all agree with me

Thank you

Know me and fear me. My embrace is for all and is patient but sure. The dead can always find you. My hand is everywhere - there is no door I cannot pass, nor guardian who can withstand me.

694a6f04-03a1-4af3-8e11-ddd1baa87348.jpg

I'd prefer Buy to Play with cash shop if done like Guild Wars 2  

I like the Guild Wars 2 model for the most part outside of being able to buy gems and then sell them them to other players for in game currency (iirc). Still better than almost all of the other cash shops though so it could definitely be worse.

I like the Guild Wars 2 model for the most part outside of being able to buy gems and then sell them them to other players for in game currency (iirc). Still better than almost all of the other cash shops though so it could definitely be worse.

I think we would all honestly love to play a game for free. But running a server and paying employees who run the game cost money. I don't see how they could find the game without either s subscription or cash shop other then if expansions or paid content was monthly or every few months.

F2P means unlimited accounts with bots, no accountability for rules violations, hordes of afk toons and very little (ad) revenue which would render a small producer like ACE to go under tout suite.

Cash shops are annoying as hell with companies desperately trying to pry every last penny out of your pocket and again, with a small production staff like this, means question marks on monthly revenue estimates which would be hard to survive and plan a business around. They probably could only withstand a very small fluctuation in their cash flow.

The only viable option I see available for someone like ACE is cash up front for the game and a monthly subscription for playing time. 

From an economic standpoint, unless JTodd and the boys plan on having a significant cash reserve that would help them weather fluctuations in cash shop transactions, a healthy subscription is the only way to get to cash positive and appease their investors in addition to paying their own salaries and insuring the game stays online for a good run.

Edit --> That was written poorly but I think I made my point. I'm going to stop posting today and hope I sound less like an idiot tomorrow :)

Edited by cools

I'd honestly say sub model (with the ability to pay your sub through playing the game similar to Eve's Plex/DFUW's DUEL model) with a cosmetic/vanity cash shop. 

Our community is a fairly niche one, and i'm probably sure most of those people share similar mindsets as myself, and wouldn't mind forking out some cash every month to play a PvP game if it was actually worth their while. Cosmetic/Vanity shop would help boost some revenue, if people wanted to support the company by more than just paying their monthly sub.  

Both sub and buy expansions. You choose. The sub is limited time with a small little benefits here and there but buying expansions lasts forever >:)

Also, I feel their SHOULD be an F2P side of the game but it shouldn't be as limiting as other games, and it should still let us enjoy ourselves a lot but not as much as paying players.

ϟhαdσwßłαdə

Buy to play; with cash shop.

I think CS:GO is a better model of a method like this that works. All cash shop items 100% cosmetic, and buying the game at least generates some revenue from those to-be banned accounts. Even for something minor like gold farm site spam.

I think in games like APB Reloaded and CS:GO people have shown that for a game they thoroughly enjoy they are absolutely willing to pay more to support it; for something in return like customization. If this game finds Steam a fitting platform to publish on, the Workshop gives a new dynamic of interaction with the game too (using the CS:GO skins model). 

EDIT:

Forgot to mention, I think at this point we should acknowledge the newer demographics that hopefully the playerbase will consist of. The old-school hardened MMO vets who seek out FFA PvP / full loot games are suffering attrition. A huge portion of possible new faces to the consequence scene are going to instantly dismiss any and all MMO's with a sub. They have no reason to give new ideas a chance, and there are so many clones out there it's almost expected that every MMO is going to be a fly-by-night filler between WoW xpacs. 

Edited by dhal

Fu3oW5d.png I must consider my sins

I really don't like subscription model for two reason:

15$ to be ABLE to play each month (otherwise I can't even connect)
Paying in advance, not knowing how much I will play that month.

I prefer to play without a subscription, but I can still pay 15$/month for other reason, for example skin, cosmetics etc. BUT at least I don't have to worry about how much time I will play that month.
B2P + shop is good too (like GW2), but the shop should be cosmetic only again, not p2w.
Please, also consider that people who said "we want subscriptions", in the end are the same people that will play this mmorpg for 1 month and then go back to their overrated world of warcraft just because "man, it's wow, I've to go back, 10 more levelzz"

Edited by Drev

DONT BECOME TRION PLEASE!

Trion with RIFT is good, problem is with Archeage...

OR DAUM !

what's wrong with daum?

Edited by Drev

Trion with RIFT is good, problem is with Archeage...

what's wrong with daum?

They are ruining the Korean/Chinese BDO. 

Players think they wont implement the same kinds of things over for the Usa version. But with them self publishing its very likely they will.

Edited by vVe

Community Moderator - http://killonsight.info/

The Dark Forest beckons...

I'd be ok with f2p because it inevitably has a higher player population, and higher player pop means heathier PVP ecosystem.  

Things that are ok to sell:

• Cosmetics
  • Player Housing/Keeps
  • Char Slots
  • Heavy Server resources (Inventory space, customized profile, etc)
  • Stuff that lets new or returning players catch up to the "fun"
Things that are not ok to sell:
  • Power
Housing only if you pay? Not cool man, same for more inventory space, it feels VERY constraining...

Sub Model is so 2000 BUT better than F2P.

Buy to Play with COSMETICS only (NO BOOSTERS whatsoever) cash shop would be preferred.

I think B2P + cosmetic shop is a great choice, it should really make everyone happy (if the shop is cosmetic, of course).

F2P would then bring in bot accounts and trolls. And a lot of people that just won't care about that game.

Also, Housing, Character Slot, super lame that some games MAKE you pay for them, when it's been a given since EQ... we don't need to go BACK, we need to MOVE FORWARD.

I agree 100%

To avoid bots, B2P should keep them away, but even full price subscription game like WoW have bot...I'm concerned about this

Edited by Drev

They are ruining the Korean/Chinese BDO. 

Players think they wont implement the same kinds of things over for the Usa version. But with them self publishing its very likely they will.

Daum should publish the game in USA and Europe as well, if BDO has the cosmetic shop for the korean version, it will be the same for us/eu, I don't see why they should decide otherwise...

I'm not even talking about the cash shop... :rolleyes:

Look here - http://black-desert.com/articles/the-naked-truth-about-black-desert-onlines-current-state-of-affairs-open-beta/

Keep in mind plenty have English players have tried reaching out to the company and have been ignored or given rude responses.  -_-

We're getting off topic... <_<

Community Moderator - http://killonsight.info/

The Dark Forest beckons...

I wouldn't mind buying the game at all because f2p usually ends up spamming the community with bots, and just griefers. A cash shop as well isn't a bad idea, but I agree with a lot of the community when I think it should be for vanity items, no such power buying at all. No boosters, no nothing that benefits your character in any way. As someone else pointed out, League of Legends does it just fine and hauls in the cash with skins.

“The difference between the quest for the Holy Grail and someone saying ‘bring me a cup’ is the flavor text and the number of stops involved.”
― Bryan Fields

Both sub and buy expansions. You choose. The sub is limited time with a small little benefits here and there but buying expansions lasts forever > :)

Also, I feel their SHOULD be an F2P side of the game but it shouldn't be as limiting as other games, and it should still let us enjoy ourselves a lot but not as much as paying players.

The only issue I have with having both sub and buying expansions, giving any kind of benefits to subs, is that you never hear the end of the bitching from those who chose not to sub.

My vote is for subs.  Nothing else.

I'm not even talking about the cash shop... :rolleyes:

Look here - http://black-desert.com/articles/the-naked-truth-about-black-desert-onlines-current-state-of-affairs-open-beta/

Keep in mind plenty have English players have tried reaching out to the company and have been ignored or given rude responses.  -_-

We're getting off topic... <_<

I stopped at "Even though levelling was according to early interviews supposed to last more or less the same as most new MMORPGs (meaning a few months) it actually now requires only a few days to reach the soft level cap of 50."