Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
xcomvic

What Payment Model Would You Like To See?

Best Business Model?  

1,100 members have voted

1. 1. What would you prefer to see as a business model other than Free to Play!

• Subscription Model ($5.00/month)
    • Subscription Model ($7.50/month)
    • Subscription Model ($10.00+/month)
    • Buy to Play with no Cash Shop (Pay once and for each expansion)
    • Buy to Play WITH Cash Shop (Guild Wars 2)
    • Something totally different (Please post your reason below)

I stopped at "Even though levelling was according to early interviews supposed to last more or less the same as most new MMORPGs (meaning a few months) it actually now requires only a few days to reach the soft level cap of 50."

Don't blame ya. ;)

Community Moderator - http://killonsight.info/

The Dark Forest beckons...

I'm happy to pay a $10/$15 a month.

JUST NO IN GAME CASH SHOP! (Unless EVERY SINGLE item is made available elsewhere in the game world... in which case, no subscription should be paid).

I quit wow the second they added it and made the decision not to have the cosmetics acquired any other way. There is NO need to double/triple dip us. 

We decide if this game is a success, or a failure (hello StarWars/Lotr/Wildstar/Every other failed mmo). Take a look at H1Z1 this week with their 'airdrops'...its crazy.

Make the game $60 to buy and $15 a month. Lose the cash shop, and lets support you making a kick ass game for the next 298296729672 years.

It seems commercially reasonable to have ingame content that can be bought by the players. I think it's very important to control what kind of qualities ingame shopping produces into the game. Saying that the ingame buyable content has to be "vanity" is a way of signifying the importance of this. People don't necessarily mind character appearance modifications, and so support vanity content option as to avoid any gameplay experience altering content. I'm definitely not an expert on this issue but this is the kind of model I would personally propose:

I would personally prefer a subscription model game with the option to pay and start additional characters on a slightly higher level without any other real purchases.

Subscription model

Monthly payments

With free sign up and trial phase (Like 2-8 weeks)

Playerbase expands.

Does not require actual premium content.

Additional purchases

Starting the game on a higher level than 1

-Like starting at level 20

-Start outside a newbie area

-Less time while grinding and replaying the start phase

-No obnoxious marketing. This kind of stuff only makes sense for a ) Additional characters b ) Catching up with friends early on

Boosters that only affect the initial phase of the game

-Like 3x experience for the entire party, only effective in newbie areas

-Some players might shun the potential pay2win appearance therefore getting correction impression may be important

-Starting the game with slightly improved newbie gear

-No obnoxious marketing. This kind of stuff only makes sense for a ) Additional characters b ) Catching up with friends early on

Also I'd like to point out that this additional character argument supports these kinds of elements. Players who'd make this kind of buy wouldn't really affect the game, but might save themselves from a couple of hours of grinding. However there's problems here:

If the players feel like they need to make another character, that may be an indicator that they're bored with first one. Should that really happen? If players want to avoid grinding and pay for it, perhaps that's an indicator of that the gameplay elements might have some boredom into them? It seems rather dangerous in terms of playerbase health if the initial phase feels like a grind!

Attention purchases, also to consider:

Purchase of global chat messages (For an example: Happy birthday announcement for someone else, maybe coupled with the option of paying for the next subscription fee of that player!)

Purchase of safehold (If there is such a thing) advertisement space (If there is such a thing) for players

(For an example renting of NPC vendors as guild recruiters in safeholds)

This kind of stuff can very easily alter the mood or thematic environment of the game, and as such seems very risky. However if done with meticulous care for the thematic elements, perhaps this kind of thing could be joyful.

Subtlety & No obnoxious hype/marketing of ingame purchases/currencies

Please no "Diamond", "Gold Coin" counter tray icons all over the place with "Purchase now, discount" -ads.

-These only make sense if the game is really catering only to the ingame purchase clientele.

-Once you've made it to a high enough level/phase these ingame purchase options shouldn't really distract the players

Keep it smooth with style.

Thanks bye. ^_^

Edited by Kaiho

Kaiho - I hope I don't ever play a game you make son. I disagree with nearly all your ideas. :P Here's my initial reaction to each;

-Like starting at level 20 << No. Play the game or gtfo. No pay-to-win-max-level here :P

-Start outside a newbie area << You mean start in another 'starting' area.

-Less time while grinding and replaying the start phase << Why the rush to get to 'endgame'?

-Purchase of global chat messages << No-one in the entire world would care that it's your friends birthday, plz God the spam no.... If I can make an addon to hide all that poorly made socks, I don't mind that one so much.... :P

-Purchase of safe hold << Part of the subscription price surely?!

advertisement space << Pay a subscription to see more in-game adverts? You're mental.

ahaha :P. <3

Edited by Toldorn

the devs know this is an extremely niche game, us suckers will pay 10$ a month for it ;) (and be more than happy to!)

F2P introduces casual gamers (eww) and low barrier for bots/multiboxing

Cash shops are imo the cancer of games and shopuld only ewver be used for cosmetics.

I personally love subscription based, it makes you feel like your actions are more worth while and you are commited/invested in the game and the world. + it makes it that much sweeter stealing peoples poorly made socks knowing they worked hard AND paid for it :P

the devs know this is an extremely niche game, us suckers will pay 10$ a month for it ;) (and be more than happy to!)

F2P introduces casual gamers (eww) and low barrier for bots/multiboxing

Cash shops are imo the cancer of games and shopuld only ewver be used for cosmetics.

I personally love subscription based, it makes you feel like your actions are more worth while and you are commited/invested in the game and the world. + it makes it that much sweeter stealing peoples **** knowing they worked hard AND paid for it :P

As I said, WoW has subscription and bots as well...

Sub Model is so 2000 BUT better than F2P.

Buy to Play with COSMETICS only (NO BOOSTERS whatsoever) cash shop would be preferred. 

Yes please. Something like the Dragon Nest pay system. 

Sub Model is so 2000 BUT better than F2P.

Buy to Play with COSMETICS only (NO BOOSTERS whatsoever) cash shop would be preferred. 

I couldn't like this any harder! I agree 110%

“The difference between the quest for the Holy Grail and someone saying ‘bring me a cup’ is the flavor text and the number of stops involved.”
― Bryan Fields

Buy to Play + Cash Shop with cosmetic/ vanity/ convenience items only .

Allow the casual gamer, multi-game gamer, and broke gamer to all enjoy the game together... without monthly bill.  A good cash shop will make up for the subscription.

Popular Concerns:

Pay2Win:  Guild Wars2 has an excellent model.  Their cash shop is all cosmetic, convenience, and, vanity items.   GW2 is absolutely not P2W.

Gold Selling: Gold will be sold,  better that the Game devs sell/ control/ profit  from selling in-game gold than third party companies using bots

Bots: Nope, I never see any bots running around GW2... but lots of subscription games did or still do have bots .... 

Community:  OMG, terrible people will play F2P game... really?  I have not seen this,  people are people... moderators and controls for this issue. 

Cash Shop allows both the devs and the players control and flexibility in how they generate or spend income.

The key is what items to sell and what items NOT to sell. 

I'd imagine the statistics and data all point to the same direction on this issue.

How is that NOT P2W?! You used REAL WORLD money for IN GAME CURRENCY to BUY an ITEM = Pay to Win

Because both sides of the transaction are player based.  Both the gems (cash shop currency) and the gold (in game currency) have to be put into the exchange by the players which calculates the exchange rate based on supply/demand and taxes the transactions.  It basically just redistributes gold and gems more evenly between players with lots of time but little money and vice-versa while serving as a currency sink.

Edited by nesogra

I kinda think that a subscription model with no shop would be good, just because i think that f2p invites a lot more bots and also cash markets are kinda overpowered and useless sometimes. Even if they only sold ascetic items, wouldn't it be cooler and more rewarding to do some crafting or even discover a recipe to craft it so it has more value and is a mark of skill rather than real life wealth?

This is my signature.  :mellow:

Yeah... um... 

I'm just going to throw this one out there and hope the devs catch it (if this is somehow something they haven't thought about before).  Here's basically what you see nowadays:

1. Free to Play

2. Free to Play + Subscription hybrid

3. Buy to Play

4. Subscription

You know what's missing?  A hybrid Buy to Play + Subscription offering.  In my mind, it would essentially be a tiered subscription, i.e. pay for the length you play per month, up to the standard subscription fee (let's say $15).  If you don't log in for a month, or if you log in for a negligible amount of time, your fee for that month is $0.  

Too lazy to expand more on it, but it seems like a pretty intuitive system to me, and one that--from a traditional player's perspective--is the best value proposition.

Edited by Tepid

Considering the capital cost of setting up a new game and getting some sort of return without gouging the player base i reckon a model such as below might be worth a look at:

1) Inital buy to play ~$50 dollar mark with a small sub fee ~$5.00 for foundation members (give them early access and a unique vanatiy item); and

2) possible a slightly larger sub fee for the later subs (standard sub) of ~$8 and a player shop for vanity items for all players.

Based on these numbers the standard sub - assuming they sub 1 month after the foundoution member - would have spent roughly the same amount ($145) on the game by the 18-19 month period.

if a DLC is released its a standard buy to play to cover the cost of development but maintenace/support is part of the existing sub cost.

Eh im 100% on B2P.

Something like guild wars 2.

The only thing i wouldnt do is B2P with sub fee.What kind of blasphemy is that?! :D

I dont understand ppl who want this payment model.They say its to "keep the bots out"?By bots you mean anyone who doesnt have enough money to throw at their screen?Dont even start the usual "its only x cents a day,if you cant afford that much gtfo" with me,it makes difference in the long run.

B2P all the way :)

It's 2015, sub games are long gone. WoW is still successful because it's a really good game with rich lore and nostalgia.

Every other sub game has gone subless within a year ( looking at you ESO ).

If it has to NOT be f2p, make it B2P with vanity cosmetics ingame, as long as they have no gameplay value.

Subscription with option to buy in game currency.  Also, subscription should be able to be paid for by in game currency.  (like Eve)

This would mean a paywall to keep out some of the riff raff, but if you work hard enough, your play can pay for your sub and it essentially can become free for you.

Edited by Vulthuryol