Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What Payment Model Would You Like To See?

Best Business Model?  

1,100 members have voted

1. 1. What would you prefer to see as a business model other than Free to Play!

• Subscription Model ($5.00/month)
    • Subscription Model ($7.50/month)
    • Subscription Model ($10.00+/month)
    • Buy to Play with no Cash Shop (Pay once and for each expansion)
    • Buy to Play WITH Cash Shop (Guild Wars 2)
    • Something totally different (Please post your reason below)

I love GW2, and the buy it once model. I don't have to buy anything in the shop to play the full content of the game from start to level-cap, the game itself is beautiful, and they are constantly adding new features and making improvements. It is about as good as a buy-it-once game can get, me thinks. On the other hand, I beta'd TOR, played general release for a bit and it was fun, then they went F2P and it all went downhill. That being said, I would gladly pay a monthly fee for a game as immersive and content rich as what's being described here, as I know a constant flow of cash pays to keep the best of the best behind their desks constantly working to make the game better. For this reason, I voted $10/month.

Cogito cogito, ergo, cogito sum.

• Replies 403
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We have to make sure this game is of quality and so is the community. Free to Play often times doesn't bring the best of the best to either. That and I want the developers to have a good stable fundin

Sub Model is so 2000 BUT better than F2P.   Buy to Play with COSMETICS only (NO BOOSTERS whatsoever) cash shop would be preferred. 

I'd be ok with f2p because it inevitably has a higher player population, and higher player pop means heathier PVP ecosystem.     Things that are ok to sell: Cosmetics Player Housing/Keeps Char Sl

GW2 has a shop and I sometimes forget it's there because it's (for the most part) inconsequential to the game and never pops up. If Crowfall was B2P with a similar feature I wouldn't have an issue with it, I'd still play. It's just been my experience with pay to play you get a better brand of player since they don't want their money wasted.

And when I say in-game shop, I mean:

Earned in-game credits as currency are possible as well as cash

Vanity/Cosmetic items

Nothing game-impacting/no Boost items

No Insta-Levels (earn your level-cap you lazy so-and-so)

The shop itself doesn't pop up in my face to remind me it needs feeding

Cogito cogito, ergo, cogito sum.

I have little love for gw2, but out of the business options you listed, it's by far the best. I'd also like to point out that you guys do have some incentive to make one or two worlds f2p so that people are free to try the game and attempt to find a guild. I would hazard a guess that, unlike with most mmorpg's, guilds actually do play a huge role in cr.

I voted for subscription model, but I'd be happy to pay more than $10/month, personally.  When you compare the value of entertainment on a $/hour basis, nothing beats an MMORPG.  Heck, it costs me far more than $10/mo just to go to a single movie.

The other value of a subscription model is that people that hack/cheat and get banned lose out on all the value they've invested into that account.

Edited by dawgs4ever

I don't think we are going to have very many bots in this game because of how the resource gathering works. We already have a action system so it would be very hard to program bots to fight and if they died, they lose everything. Gold farmers would have to be players and would have to deal with the death penalty. I don't see gold farmers holding points of interest. If any faction buys from gold farmers, I think the community would find out and could punish it. I know i would gladly go to war and spread propaganda against any group i knew bought from gold farmers.

A sub model never stopped gold farmers.

I think the combination of them not being able to use bots, losing resources on death, unable to hold Points of interest, and the fact that campaigns aren't permanent will make it hard for farmers to make any profit from this game.

I'm really liking the GW2 B2P. The main reason is if I stop playing for a while and I come back I just load the game up again and start playing again. Don't have to pay for a new Month or re-sub. Then if I wind up playing the game for awhile theres the cash shop so can buy Gems and fluff items.

F2P has shown that it doesn't work, at least not in the context of a quality community. It becomes very easy to create countless sub accounts for fraudsters, hackers, gold sellers, etc.

Buy using a Buy to Play with an item store for cosmetics and other fun items that the community would enjoy, that has potential. Offering a monthly sub program that grants a certain amount of store currency can also be appealing, if done right.

I look at prior experiences in games such as LOTRO, and GW2. Both have appealing items in the store to use for cosmetic and reasonable boosters, but they are also level based systems. Crowfall doesn't appear to be going that route, which would be a nice change and perhaps a return to something similar in some way to SWG skill / leveling system.

Whatever they decide to come up with for payment model, I feel even more confident in knowing they have no plans to offer is as "F2P". 

B2P with a clean (no p2w) cash shop with loads awesome cosmetic gear/clothes ect.. along with 6 months to 1 year expansions that adds tons of PVE and PVP related content will ensure this game have a great player base.  If the game goes sub it will simply end up like darkfall...  Players shy away by the tons when it comes to a PVP game with free4all loot rules.  Sometimes its not about what a person can afford more so about how many players you have in the world to make it feel alive.

I like the concept that you all pay me to play this game.

Know me and fear me. My embrace is for all and is patient but sure. The dead can always find you. My hand is everywhere - there is no door I cannot pass, nor guardian who can withstand me.

694a6f04-03a1-4af3-8e11-ddd1baa87348.jpg

I'd be ok with f2p because it inevitably has a higher player population, and higher player pop means heathier PVP ecosystem.  

Things that are ok to sell:

• Cosmetics
  • Player Housing/Keeps
  • Char Slots
  • Heavy Server resources (Inventory space, customized profile, etc)
  • Stuff that lets new or returning players catch up to the "fun"

Things that are not ok to sell:

• Power

I am sorry but this statement doesn't seem to hold up to scrutiny.  A F2p model can have the POSSIBILITY of a higher population if done right, but it is not an inevitability.

Case in point, in a f2p model game where you can buy heavy server rescources/crafting things/advantages in-game will cause a gap much like the one America experiences everyday where the ones with liquid assets will rise above the rest. This inequality actually causes less people to want to play due to the fact that they will continue to be at a disadvantage.

I am in favor of a $10.00 a month subscription, with an in-store game that provides solely vanity items.  I always adore a game with a subscription as I feel it shows my appreciation and support of the hard work the developers put into the game.

[@--(o.O)@]

With the new reveals the last 2 weeks, I won't pay for a sub now if campaigns are restricted. What I mean is if, a campaign starts and I can't join (freedom) later because my guild mates might be there but I was gone for 5 days working I am not willing to pay a monthly sub for restricted gameplay.

So, with how this is going to work, I am more for b2p with a cash shop ( with in p2w items of course ) , similar to GW2 ( gw2 has some p2w in some aspects, espeically the gem to gold conversions )

Really I don't see why they couldn't have both options, if you have a player that wants to just pay a $10 a month sub than have a system to do just that.

They could easily make both of the above options viable and fair and let the player choose which suits them better. 

I can tell you right now, I have given way more money to the games like GW2 than I ever spent on my sub in for example WoW or even Shadowbane. 

Edited by sarin

B2P with vanity cash shop is the perfect model for me. The box price is a strong enough deterrent for trolls, bots, gold sellers and tire-kickers, and the vanity items allow people to support the game without giving them an edge over non-paying players.

If you go for a sub, you'll really have to work extra-hard to convince me not to drop it after the first month (and adding grindy and time-gated objectives as an incentive to make me renew my sub makes me run the other way a lot more than a non P2W cash shop).

Edited by Geoffroy

Ten dollars is nothing. As I stated earlier. If one cannot afford 10-15 dollars to play a MMO what..... at minimum 20-30 hours a month, then they need to find a part time job and not be playing a game at all. Gaming is one of the cheapest forms of entertainment out there in cost per hour spent.

10 bucks is nothing for some people If this is an international game, for some people can be 5% of a minimal wage (like..almost all Latin America). 

I want to pay a sub model just so you guys can simply worry about the game.  If time and resources allow for cash shop items, i'm completely ok with that model.  However, it would be strictly for atheistic items such as appearance slots, housing items, pets, mounts, etc. but I would not want micro transactions to fuel the game and put you guys in a position to where if the cash shop is not successful then the game is in financial danger.  Simply put, I want the game to be self-sufficient and everything else be gravy. 

The only issue I have with having both sub and buying expansions, giving any kind of benefits to subs, is that you never hear the end of the bitching from those who chose not to sub.

My vote is for subs.  Nothing else.

Not necessarily. Benefits are small, not something to rant on about.

ϟhαdσwßłαdə