Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
xcomvic

What Payment Model Would You Like To See?

Best Business Model?  

1,100 members have voted

1. 1. What would you prefer to see as a business model other than Free to Play!

• Subscription Model ($5.00/month)
    • Subscription Model ($7.50/month)
    • Subscription Model ($10.00+/month)
    • Buy to Play with no Cash Shop (Pay once and for each expansion)
    • Buy to Play WITH Cash Shop (Guild Wars 2)
    • Something totally different (Please post your reason below)

I'll take any sub-based, not even B2P with Cosmetics cash shop. The reason is simple, items must have impact even on visuals accord with the achievement/acomplishment in-game...

I.E.: + Look! that guy have the "Sword of the seventh apocalipse!" (And it's the real one, not a normal sword with some cool transmog), so awesome, when I grow up I wanna be like him! +

That's my opinion, I don't know if I made my point.

:)

Good point.  I dislike pure cosmetic shops because I prefer that you can look at a character and, if you're smart, quickly ascertain information about what kind of build it is/what they are capable of and so on.  It makes the game have a really high skill cap.

But I think cash shops can be done right.  City building stuff, more vault space, server transfers, & cosmetic items with no stats (meaning if you wanna PvP with them on, you're probably just going to die a lot, but people love to RP and stuff outside of that).

I am done getting nickel and dimed by "free to play".  If there isn't an option to pay a monthly fee and have full access to everything in the game, I'll be skipping it, and a bunch of folks I know will too.  The caveat to that is, a GW2 style buy to play with 100% cosmetic only items, which I dropped a couple hundred on anyway because I felt the company deserved it.

Go subscription based. If there has to be microtransactions, keep it in the realm of vanity stuff.

See now they've finally trained us to take this cash shop crap up the butt!

Take a risk Mr Coleman. No Cash Shop!

Make a great game and earn your millions that way!

I liked GW2 approach with the B2P except eliminate the cash shop. Cash shops always end up having some item/package that comes with permanent items or items that give an advantage. If they could create a cash shop that is, for once, purely cosmetic I would be in full support of it. I also wouldn't mind a P2P subscription system as it keeps away some of the lower quality playerbase/bots.

You did. But cosmetics could be as simple as hair dye, or armor dyes.

Yes! Exactly, I was referring to "exclusive" armor or weapon skins, color changes are nice and understandable, BUT, I think if it's subbased that dyes should be obtained in-game with quest, achievements, RNG, even crafting. =)

Good point.  I dislike pure cosmetic shops because I prefer that you can look at a character and, if you're smart, quickly ascertain information about what kind of build it is/what they are capable of and so on.  It makes the game have a really high skill cap.

But I think cash shops can be done right.  City building stuff, more vault space, server transfers, & cosmetic items with no stats (meaning if you wanna PvP with them on, you're probably just going to die a lot, but people love to RP and stuff outside of that).

Right! But I'm imagining this game like more oldschool-like RP, you get what you earn. (Always assuming this is sub-based... I think sub-based shouldn't have a cash shop at all, only server tranfers, race/gender swap, etc)

5roh8Km.png

Yes! Exactly, I was referring to "exclusive" armor or weapon skins, color changes are nice and understandable, BUT, I think if it's subbased that dyes should be obtained in-game with quest, achievements, RNG, even crafting. =)

Right! But I'm imagining this game like more oldschool-like RP, you get what you earn. (Always assuming this is sub-based... I think sub-based shouldn't have a cash shop at all, only server tranfers, race/gender swap, etc)

I am hoping for  a nice sandbox to play in:)

Without knowing the game's budget, it's hard to say.

But for any large MMO there is only one option: F2P with premium subscription and cash shop.

Monetization design is not intrinsically tied to gameplay design and balance. There is a lot of flexibility. But such things would ideally be planned for in advance. Otherwise your options can certainly become much more limited.

SUB model but do it right. I hate Cash shops. Just roll out content on a regular basis and we should be good. Not only does a Sub model keep trolls etc... out of the game up to a point. We should have a guarantee that we are getting what we are paying monthly for. Plus everyone playing your game and paying a monthly fee for it gives you guys a steady flow of income to develop the game more after launch. 

SUB model but do it right. I hate Cash shops. Just roll out content on a regular basis and we should be good. Not only does a Sub model keep trolls etc... out of the game up to a point. We should have a guarantee that we are getting what we are paying monthly for. Plus everyone playing your game and paying a monthly fee for it gives you guys a steady flow of income to develop the game more after launch. 

Agreed

Crazy that people are willing to pay for a subscription $10.00 or more! I'm excited.

Ten dollars is nothing. As I stated earlier. If one cannot afford 10-15 dollars to play a MMO what..... at minimum 20-30 hours a month, then they need to find a part time job and not be playing a game at all. Gaming is one of the cheapest forms of entertainment out there in cost per hour spent.

Pay to play for certain. It doesn't have to be $60. A nice little $30 price point and a limited cash shop with no p2w items ever. I'd prefer a fully GM'd/Event server with enforced roleplay and only one character PER IP for a $19.99 subscription as well. I'd give up both testicles for a legends type server again.

Bring back the shareware business model. Free2play- in a limited form of the game. Perhaps a small selection of classes or races unlocked, a rotation of the "premium" classes and races on a weekly basis so you can try them occasionally, limits on bank space, auction usage, guild creation, character slots... but the game is playable, and you can get a good feel for how things work.

From there, you can make a one-time payment, perhaps $40 or $60, to unlock the full normal game.  This gives you a significantly larger bank space, auction house usage options, plenty of character slots, and access to all races and classes at all times.

For those who want more, there can also be a cash shop for customized graphics, UI options, alternate spell effects, alternate weapon and armor models- all of which can make you look cool or special, but have zero impact on the game in a statistical way.

And finally, might as well face reality- there will be players who buy multiple accounts to have multiple characters in-game at once.  Make it easy on them, and offer a "dual access" or "triple access" purchase option, for an additional $40 or $80 or whatever it allows one or two or whatever number of additional clients to connect simultaneously on that account.

I also prefer P2P. So tired of the cons that come along with F2P games. I wouldn't mind B2P either, but then the updates become more focused on cash shop items rather than the content.  

3d0d8f69-fe9b-4388-a220-3b2486e07d40_zps