Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
NicholasLionRider

Probably Just me Being Crazy...

Is it just me or does Crowfall's progression seem really slow. Well, in some ways it does, and in others, not so much. They have already done a lot for the game behind the scenes and as far as constant updates post-kickstarter, they have done amazing. But are we where we should be still shooting for that Dec 2016 release date? I mean even just combat...how long will that take? Until May-June? Later?

Currently we only have 3 characters. Adding a fourth in an estimated time frame of November, with a fifth sometime around Mid-November probably December. That will cover a grand total of 5 archetypes...but we have 8 others to make. And at the current rate, making a single archetype's combat moves seems to take about a month. Granted I think they can cut corners once they get basic combat mechanics in place (the Templar will be very similar to Knight and therefore easier to make).

The problem isn't the combat though, it is the fact of ALL the other promised features they need to test. Destructible Environments, building, EKs, Proper Hunger functionality, all the new kickstarter things like Combat Pets, mounts and gamemodes (which they need to make 6 of). I mean at this rate we will have a 6 month pre-alpha cycle, a 5 month alpha, and a 1 month beta where they cram in 6 waves.

Again I'm not concerned with how the game is coming along, but that 2016 launch goal seems like a joke now. They are letting in Alpha 2 backers into the next Hunger Dome...which will still be a greybox world just adding a new character. I love the vision, love the team, and love their work. Maybe since I'm not a developer I don't know what I'm talking about, but all those other features to me seem like things that will take just as long to properly adjust as combat. I'm not in tune with Artcraft so they might have some large features in the background they are working on but I hope we can at least see early testing of one of the other features besides combat come February. 

Is it just me or does Crowfall's progression seem really slow. Well, in some ways it does, and in others, not so much. They have already done a lot for the game behind the scenes and as far as constant updates post-kickstarter, they have done amazing. But are we where we should be still shooting for that Dec 2016 release date? I mean even just combat...how long will that take? Until May-June? Later?

Currently we only have 3 characters. Adding a fourth in an estimated time frame of November, with a fifth sometime around Mid-November probably December. That will cover a grand total of 5 archetypes...but we have 8 others to make. And at the current rate, making a single archetype's combat moves seems to take about a month. Granted I think they can cut corners once they get basic combat mechanics in place (the Templar will be very similar to Knight and therefore easier to make).

The problem isn't the combat though, it is the fact of ALL the other promised features they need to test. Destructible Environments, building, EKs, Proper Hunger functionality, all the new kickstarter things like Combat Pets, mounts and gamemodes (which they need to make 6 of). I mean at this rate we will have a 6 month pre-alpha cycle, a 5 month alpha, and a 1 month beta where they cram in 6 waves.

Again I'm not concerned with how the game is coming along, but that 2016 launch goal seems like a joke now. They are letting in Alpha 2 backers into the next Hunger Dome...which will still be a greybox world just adding a new character. I love the vision, love the team, and love their work. Maybe since I'm not a developer I don't know what I'm talking about, but all those other features to me seem like things that will take just as long to properly adjust as combat. I'm not in tune with Artcraft so they might have some large features in the background they are working on but I hope we can at least see early testing of one of the other features besides combat come February. 

It only seems slow because they are so transparent so you see things at all times.... kinda like watching paint dry as opposed to painting something, going to do something else, and then coming back when it is dry. 

Anyway their dec 2016 launch goal is only an estimate, it's more common than not that games get delayed and launch later than they desire to.... I imagine crowfall won't be much different.... but then again who knows, once they have the foundation set up the rest of the stuff may pop into place very quickly....

Skeggold, Skalmold, Skildir ro Klofnir

Since you posted in the Suggestion Box forum, I'm looking for your suggestion, but I'm not finding it.

What change are you proposing?

Official "Bad Person" of Crowfall

"I think 1/3rd of my postcount is telling people that we aren't turning into a PvE / casual / broad audience game." -

Tully

We already have what is basically a working game mode less than 20 weeks into development. Most AAA titles will take 3-5 years of development and you won't see anything about them until closed beta.

Considering their team size, I'd say this is one of the most successful and quick development cycles I've ever seen.

We already have what is basically a working game mode less than 20 weeks into development. Most AAA titles will take 3-5 years of development and you won't see anything about them until closed beta.

Considering their team size, I'd say this is one of the most successful and quick development cycles I've ever seen.

this

"Float like a Butterfly.... Sting like a Misplaced Decimal Point" - Xarrayne 2018

YouTube Channel

I think it's reasonable to wonder if that date is still realistic, but I don't think we'll know that for sure until we're a bit closer.  They're still getting the foundation in place to build on at this point.

They are already working on other features like sieges and destruction. They told us in a Q&A video. They also told us that with each finished archetype the more tech they have available and thus each following archetype will be faster to develop. SO it might take a month now, but it could be reduced to maybe weeks in the end.

I'm sure multiple features are being worked on atm. ACE is being transparent, but that doesn't mean they don't keep things from us. Because they still want to surprise us from time to time. That said, I'm already preparing myself that Dec 2016 will not be reached, because games on this scale getting postponed is normal and expected.

ZCcquVD.png

THE most active European Crowfall community. Join us now!

Since you posted in the Suggestion Box forum, I'm looking for your suggestion, but I'm not finding it.

What change are you proposing?

This^^ (and please don't propose "faster development" because you know that is just silly.)

Also, while I do agree the target date is unreasonable, the game is still progressing quite well. Games, like sausages, are best consumed without knowing how they were made.

Even the best games ever made have had to deal with crippling compromises that likely brought the developers to tears( I wish that were a metaphor), but all the same, the game gets released, and no one knows the difference.

But here, we do know the difference, development is ugly, not for the feint of heart.

Edited by TragicNumberOne

Might I interest you in a low-interest mortgage?

I feel like they've got plenty of time to hit their December 2016 release date. This is a PvP only game and that makes a big difference. Most of the time and money spent developing MMOs is in designing thousands of quests, building zones, dungeons, raids etc. PvP in traditional MMOs gets a fraction of the time and resources that PvE does.

The worlds in Crowfall are going to be randomly generated. I'm sure that developing the world generator is going to take some time but nothing compared to making tons and tons of zones. Right now they are building the tools to help make things happen faster and even that is going much better than I was expecting.

The real reason why you think development is going slow is because you're sitting here constantly F5ing the home page hoping some new Crowfall news come out. We're all doing that  :P

The real reason why you think development is going slow is because you're sitting here constantly F5ing the home page hoping some new Crowfall news come out. We're all doing that  :P

Glad I'm not the only one.