Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Pann

First look: Castles! - Official discussion thread

This seems simple and a good idea for a CW

What I mentioned are from videos and articles from the devs.

However, once a CW has yielded to the Hunger (Campaign is over) what happens to those 'castles' and all the resources we put in to repair and hold them? Gone? Subsumed in the victory rewards? What about guilds who also build up castles but do not win the 'game'?

Players will need to decide how much to store in their "export bank" vs how much they will use to help win the campaign. Remember you earn a higher percentage of items/resources/thralls/etc. from your bank if your team wins. Dregs of course being the exception since its a winner takes all format. 

No matter which way a player goes whatever is not in your personal "export bank" when the Hunger consumes a world is gone. Every weapon left behind, every stronghold raised up, every resource mined, every corpse on the battle field. All of it is gone.....forever.

For example would a refurbished castle be able to hold resources like a storage system where we can keep additional loot, artifacts, thralls and resources for export to our EK after the CW is finished? I ask because the answers, even general ones, would weigh heavily on what a Guild will be working to achieve in a CW.

No. Storing anything in a stronghold wont increase your personal "export bank."

This is not a complaint but simply a question about the level of 'value' in taking, refurbishing and holding castles in a CW that is transient. Would a 'raider army' be more rewarding in resources for players and guilds than pouring large resources into rebuilding and holding CW castles? It may be that the Devs have not worked out the particulars as yet so we just need to wait. Understandable but I see no harm in asking, especially as 'castles' or 'strongholds' etc...are being given great importance so far.

We just don't know yet since no campaign world has been made yet. Though I will say if someone horded all of their resources in a game like Star Craft or Civilization and never built anything with them they'd loose the game. Similarly if we don't use the resources to build better gear, replace what we lost when we died, fortify our territory we would be in a very weaken state thus most likely loose the campaign and earn less from our "export bank."

Also building and holding a stronghold will have a different functions depending on the Campaign Rules. An example of this is the introduction of the Bloodstone rule set that lets players place a Bloodstone Tree in a stronghold that generates bloodstones to gain Victory Points.

Nice i am loving the looks here one thing i would like to suggest :)

- Variety of castle geometry so Mountain castles ontop of mountains, Inside Mountains think dwarfs :) Inside Caves :D ontop of plateau possibly even a tree castle tpe thing :)

The original Darkfall Online game did this well there were cities that were valued more than others, easier or harder to defend that others each city was different and msot required different strats to take. here some examples they had:

-Calfadar (Located on the top of a giant pillar with an elevator to get inside the city)

- Aradoth (Located inside an old Mine inside a mountain part of the city was located outside the moutain and the other half was located within the mountain where you had to fight ur way through corridors when seiging it)
- Tughri (Located on a plateau by the ocean with 2 ramps going to get ontop of it, was attackable by boats of the coast to weaken the defences before trying to push up the ramp to take the city.
-Ul'Hamra (This one was interesting one, the city itself was located entirely below the surface with 2 rather long tunnels to the city.
-Jeradan hamlet (2 entrances to this city one was a submerged tunnel under the lake or dropping down a waterfall to get inside which you would take fall dmg from.

Veeshan Midst of UXA

Nice would like to see the option of crafting funiture and place it however u like +setting up catapults in towers or, and scorpions, making traps and sutch.
would b good for the economic aspect for the game ill guess

Obsidian-ForumSignature.jpg

Imagine you and 100 of your closest guildmates crushing your foes to claim this incredible castle in the Dregs.

I just really really hope that the only reason i'm claiming it is because someone else built it.

please, for the love of whatever, no prebuilt 'claimable' assets ( a la gw2/daoc/df). If it's standing, it's because someone put in the effort to make it so.

I just really really hope that the only reason i'm claiming it is because someone else built it.

please, for the love of whatever, no prebuilt 'claimable' assets ( a la gw2/daoc/df). If it's standing, it's because someone put in the effort to make it so.

This. I want free placement of guild/nation assets (eg, castles , keeps, citadels). I would greatly prefer not to have a capture the flag type asset to fight over. I want to know that a group of people spent a collective hundreds of hours building what I am about to tear down.

Also, it does not look like this will be the case, as it seems all models are standard, but I would love for castles or keeps to be customizable and not have the same standard model with the same exact footprint for every iteration on the map. Shadowbane had a great castle/city building system that lended quite a bit of differentiation (though a few designs were deemed the most viable). 

But all in all, the model looks great!

I also hope that assets are not simply claimed, even if they are in the "ruins" state and have to be repaired/upgraded. Free building your city/fortress gives more of an attachment to the property, not to mention the customization that comes with it.

We've had this explained pretty clearly already.

World map generation includes parcel placement, including placement of stronghold parcels. Strongholds are not "buildings" in the way that shops or smithies are, they're "parcel features" which are an integral part of their parcel terrain. When first found, strongholds will be in a ruined state; if you want a working castle you will have to 1) find a castle building site/ ruin and then 2) apply enough resources to the ruin to upgrade it to rank 1.

I know a lot of people love the idea of free city placement but it's not compatible with the parcel concept which is one of the core design decisions of the Crowfall project.

What you do with the building lots on your parcel is of course completely up to you.

Official "Bad Person" of Crowfall

"I think 1/3rd of my postcount is telling people that we aren't turning into a PvE / casual / broad audience game." -

Tully