Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sciocco

RIP Frostweaver

I was just trying to be funny, because all confessors do atm is run in with their fire shield and thus are basically melee

That's not really true anymore after the huge nerfs to that skill. The only time Confessors go close/mid range is for the flamethrower ability which admittedly is pretty awesome. 

The only time I use the fire shield is if I know I've got melee on me that I'm not going to be able to shake off for a decent amount of time.

AoC's Herald of Xotli class was an arcane melee and was a pretty awesome design. I have no problem with the idea of a gish class in the abstract. Devil's in the details, of course.

Official "Bad Person" of Crowfall

"I think 1/3rd of my postcount is telling people that we aren't turning into a PvE / casual / broad audience game." -

Tully

Yea I'm crying a bit because my expectations may not end up being reality, but I also wanted to bring this information up as little is known about the Frosty and this slightly contradicts their icon on the archetypes page.

Personally, I would take more stock in the concept art rather than the icon. She's been holding that kusarigama-like weapon since she was first introduced. On the positive side, I think this hints more towards her being a mid-range melee/caster class, kind of like the reaper from TERA.

We've also seen her with a bow, like many here have already mentioned, so she'll probably also have a ranged promotion class.

Personally, I appreciate that she isn't just a frost clone of the Confessor, and instead brings something unique to the table.

Edited by Raizex

I see the Frostweaver playing out to be a mid range melee character. That crazy axe chain weapon is a pretty dead giveaway imo. I'm much more of a fan of this than LOLFROSTMAGE GUIS. 

She was originally shown with a sling blade, I don't see why close range caster is surprising.

What I'm curious about is how the CC mage is going to have superior CC to the Confessor...

a52d4a0d-044f-44ff-8a10-ccc31bfa2d87.jpg          Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes... Than if they're upset, they'll be a mile away, and barefoot :P

If it's similar to the reaper, the devs should be questioned.

Mid range caster doesn't sound bad.

Only fessors get to use magic from distance? Lame.

The icon is still a little misleading, why not change it.

gCWxS8u.jpg

If it's similar to the reaper, the devs should be questioned.

Mid range caster doesn't sound bad.

Only fessors get to use magic from distance? Lame.

The icon is still a little misleading, why not change it.

I agree that the icon can be a bit misleading.

As for the reaper, do you have any qualms with it? The reason I made the comparison is because the reaper is also a magic/melee hybrid with medium range and a similar style of weapon. Do I think that frost-weavers should be race and gender-locked to be only Gothic loli assassins? No.

I was merely commenting on the fact that the similarities in weapon type and range could allow for similarities in play-styles. Kind of how the knight is basically a lancer from Tera with a sword instead of a lance.

The only other mid range melee classes that I've seen before in MMO's are Chainblade Vella from Vindictus, and the Assassin from Skyforge. Although I see the Frostweaver being kind of a cross between the Reaper from Tera and the Cyromancer from Skyforge. This is merely speculation on my part, however.

Looking back, however, perhaps a more apt comparison would be Chainblade Vella, as she kinda had a cold theme going on as well.

Edited by Raizex

I agree that the icon can be a bit misleading.

As for the reaper, do you have any qualms with it? The reason I made the comparison is because the reaper is also a magic/melee hybrid with medium range and a similar style of weapon. Do I think that frost-weavers should be race and gender-locked to be only Gothic loli assassins? No.

I was merely commenting on the fact that the similarities in weapon type and range could allow for similarities in play-styles. Kind of how the knight is basically a lancer from Tera with a sword instead of a lance.

The only other mid range melee classes that I've seen before in MMO's are Chainblade Vella from Vindictus, and the Assassin from Skyforge. Although I see the Frostweaver being kind of a cross between the Reaper from Tera and the Cyromancer from Skyforge. This is merely speculation on my part, however.

Looking back, however, perhaps a more apt comparison would be Chainblade Vella, as she kinda had a cold theme going on as well.

The reaper was specifically made by the Devs to have a class with an incredibly low skill ceiling. Tera is a very low skill ceiling game and reapers were dramatically lower. My issue would be if ACE is getting that kind of inspiration from Tera's reaper class. Honestly, I'm not sure how any long time Tera player could see anything to do with Reapers and feel negative towards it.

I'm ok with a mid range caster for the most part, all about the abilities you get in the end.

gCWxS8u.jpg

AoC's Herald of Xotli class was an arcane melee and was a pretty awesome design. I have no problem with the idea of a gish class in the abstract. Devil's in the details, of course.

HoX's were NASTY in the hands of a good player. Here's hoping the Frostweaver is something similar. Personally, I'm not really interested in the throwing/kusarigama style weapon pictured thusfar. Throwing weapons were pretty important in Shadowbane, but I just never really liked the concept. I doubt the Frostweaver will occupy the mid-range caster role, as that seems to be what the Confessor is all about (though other archetypes may fall into that role as well). Perhaps we'll be able to spec our Frostweavers either way?

Edited by soulein

Shadowbane - House Avari/Hy'shen
"Gimp elves get good elves killed." - Belina

Avari Discord - https://discord.gg/Bch24PV

May i remind you that Centaur was another class that has shifted from a melee dps archetype to a heavy support archetype, so i dont think anything is set in stone yet. I also recall that the Centaur's icon didnt change, up until recently. Game's still in pre-alpha and i think we will start seeing more defined class concepts till the end of alpha phase.

We also dont know how disciplines/promotion will impact the playstyle of the archetypes. Turning a class from a melee combatant to a fully range skirmisher seems like a stretch to me, but if they manage to do it, theorycrafting and build options will go through the roof.

Anyways if they decide to go with it, i welcome this decision, which makes me very interested in the class. I feel like they want to go with a high risk-high reward class here.

Edited by volahn

May i remind you that Centaur was another class that has shifted from a melee dps archetype to a heavy support archetype, so i dont think anything is set in stone yet. I also recall that the Centaur's icon didnt change, up until recently. Game's still in pre-alpha and i think we will start seeing more defined class concepts till the end of alpha phase.

We also dont know how disciplines/promotion will impact the playstyle of the archetypes. Turning a class from a melee combatant to a fully range skirmisher seems like a stretch to me, but if they manage to do it, theorycrafting and build options will go through the roof.

Anyways if they decide to go with it, i welcome this decision, which makes me very interested in the class. I feel like they want to go with a high risk-high reward class here.

It does appear however, that using a bow is going to be an option for frostweavers. That is, at least, if this concept art is accurate. In addition, if screenshots are anything to go by, it also appears that a pure magic build will also be possible.

Since the only melee weapon that we have seen the frostweaver wield is the axe on the string, I think it would be fallacious to assume that she is a straight-up melee combatant.

Edited by Raizex

All i am saying, is that we are pretty early in development, and anything is bound to change. Variety is a good thing, but i wont believe it till i see it.

It does appear however, that using a bow is going to be an option for frostweavers. That is, at least, if this concept art is accurate. In addition, if screenshots are anything to go by, it also appears that a pure magic build will also be possible.

Since the only melee weapon that we have seen the frostweaver wield is the axe on the string, I think it would be fallacious to assume that she is a straight-up melee combatant.

Those are from the proof of concept Art+Craft put together for the kickstarter. I'd imagine that the snippet from the recent interview about the Frostweaver going melee is a good indicator that they've shifted their design focus in that direction. So no, the concepts and screens from that far back probably aren't accurate.

The axe on a string may make it in, though I hope not. Who knows? Maybe the Frostweaver will have access to a whole range of different weapons. It's hard to predict what release will look like from screens, art, or even the combat alpha.

Edited by soulein

Shadowbane - House Avari/Hy'shen
"Gimp elves get good elves killed." - Belina

Avari Discord - https://discord.gg/Bch24PV

I'm looking forward to trying it out whichever path it ends up taking. I have played as similar types before and don't mind being either one.

As I tand right now though, I don't know whether I will go Frostweaver or Assassin when I really need to make the choice :S

Am I the only one who likes melee mages? I'd really like seeing this in action, tho.

Nope.

Every. Single. MMO. People put in requests and suggestions for the "Battle Mage": high damaging magic attacks, a melee weapon, heavy armor, and half decent mobility.

I like the previously mentioned suggestion of the Frostys promotions playing a major role in the range of its attacks. A mid or long range frost magic class is a preference for me and I'm fine with that only being a promotion of an archetype.

gCWxS8u.jpg