Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sciocco

RIP Frostweaver

Nope.

Every. Single. MMO. People put in requests and suggestions for the "Battle Mage": high damaging magic attacks, a melee weapon, heavy armor, and half decent mobility.

I like the previously mentioned suggestion of the Frostys promotions playing a major role in the range of its attacks. A mid or long range frost magic class is a preference for me and I'm fine with that only being a promotion of an archetype.

I'm pretty sure the Templar checks all of those boxes for the "Battle Mage", except for maybe the high damaging magic attacks. I'm pretty sure that we've confirmed, though, that they have some form of magical aptitude. Unless, of course, they are simply divine casters and can thus wear heavy armor due to not having to worry about arcane spell failure.

As for the mid-to-long range frost magic, I think we might still see that. So far, I don't think we've seen anything to indicate that the Frostweaver is planning on going toe-to-toe with anyone in close range. I've also yet to see anything that indicates that it's your traditional "Battle Mage", either. They look far to fragile for one thing, and for another, they seem to be leaning more towards the "mage" and less towards the "battle".

Those are from the proof of concept Art+Craft put together for the kickstarter. I'd imagine that the snippet from the recent interview about the Frostweaver going melee is a good indicator that they've shifted their design focus in that direction. So no, the concepts and screens from that far back probably aren't accurate.

The axe on a string may make it in, though I hope not. Who knows? Maybe the Frostweaver will have access to a whole range of different weapons. It's hard to predict what release will look like from screens, art, or even the combat alpha.

I see that you aren't all that familiar with melee reach weapons, which that axe on a string seems to exemplify. Just because they said it's a hybrid melee caster doesn't mean that it wants to be mixing it up with knights and champions at close range. Everything we've seen so far indicates that it's a relatively fragile mid-to-long range character that tries to keep it's distance to in order to avoid taking too much damage.

I do agree that things will likely change between now and release, I just don't think that we have any reason to believe that those concept art pieces aren't indicative of the type of character the frost-weaver will be. After all, that neat looking axe on a string is still a melee weapon, which still qualifies it as a magic/melee hybrid, just not maybe what you might have been thinking of when you initially heard the term magic/melee hybrid.

Edited by Raizex

Am I the only one who likes the possibility? I had already discarded this archetype until now. But I don't think they are going to make a warrior mage, maybe as a discipline?

“Todo aquel que conoces teme algo, ama algo, y ha perdido algo”

IMO it's too soon to overly worry.  But it's good to keep an eye open and provide constructive feedback.  I do appreciate the heads up about the potential change that I wasn't aware of.  I'm just hoping for a magical ranged dps that does good damage =)  For some reason I'm adverse to taking damage.

I think melee fits frostweaver somehow as his background refers to dancing and would make it clearly different from confessor (I think same kind of characters aren't so needed). Still would wanna see some ranged CC to be able to aproach people without dying or getting away from them better :D.

WoW Shaman?

In terms of mechanics...

No!  more like a Fury from Shadowbane I am hoping...  if it is more CC that pure damage, was wondering about weather this would be more of a Channeler AOE bomb dropper but it sounds not so strong...   Thing was, furies could fly up for short time too avoid melee.

6FUI4Mk.jpg

Sugoi - Senpai

Hold up, a melee mage? Hi guys. Nice bandwagon you have here. Mind if I ride along to see where this goes?

Wearily do I sleep eternity away.

Without fear or haste, on bedding made of solitude and silence.

Magic is really just another damage type. It wouldn't be a bad thing to have a ranged/melee hybrid (like the Ranger) who deals mostly magic damage instead of mostly physical. She's almost certainly not pure melee though, considering the ice bow art.

If I would say, what kind of frostweaver I would like to see is low-mid range, caster based characters which have more CC than damage. It would be pretty agile but also really fragile. From frostweavers backstory, I get feeling of pretty sadistic character, which would refer for keeping enemy on tow for long time with CC abilities and being slower type to deal damage. He refers to dancing and blades which would say that frostweaver isn't scared to go for some close combat but won't stay there for long.

Link to this video, please.

Also, I'm hoping the Frostweaver gets physics-based CC, and I'm not talking knockbacks. I'm thinking manipulating the friction in the area, having players unable to stop from their sprint or unable to take off without a lot of time.

That's not really true anymore after the huge nerfs to that skill. The only time Confessors go close/mid range is for the flamethrower ability which admittedly is pretty awesome. 

The only time I use the fire shield is if I know I've got melee on me that I'm not going to be able to shake off for a decent amount of time.

http://community.crowfall.com/index.php?/topic/10638-confessor-aoe-damage/

The flame shield is still powerful and very much used, A LOT.

Have we some recent info from the Frostweaver class ? (I mean, official info)

It was presented among the first screenshots of the game, and still, we have less info on it than the Champion class :(

Blair said in that interview that the Frostweaver would get a dodge as the right click ability.

Twitchtastic!

6FUI4Mk.jpg

Sugoi - Senpai

HoX's were NASTY in the hands of a good player. Here's hoping the Frostweaver is something similar. Personally, I'm not really interested in the throwing/kusarigama style weapon pictured thusfar. Throwing weapons were pretty important in Shadowbane, but I just never really liked the concept. I doubt the Frostweaver will occupy the mid-range caster role, as that seems to be what the Confessor is all about (though other archetypes may fall into that role as well). Perhaps we'll be able to spec our Frostweavers either way?

I see the weapon as being the melee component, hopefully Frostweavers will have a longer reach melee weapon (hurlbat on a chain) that has a crazy awesome animation and does physical damage with basic hit but combos up to magic or frost type damage.  She will also have magic ranged casted debuffs and CC, twitch dodge key and a a drop back escape...  a jump in and out of melee hybrid.   (Lightening Spear based Fury from SB)

6FUI4Mk.jpg

Sugoi - Senpai

Have we some recent info from the Frostweaver class ? (I mean, official info)

It was presented among the first screenshots of the game, and still, we have less info on it than the Champion class :(

I haven't seen anything and I'm thinking it's doubtful Frosty will be in the next few introduced archetypes following Ranger.

I think we might see Templar, Forgemaster, and Druid first, but I'm 100% guessing.

gCWxS8u.jpg

I see the weapon as being the melee component, hopefully Frostweavers will have a longer reach melee weapon (hurlbat on a chain) that has a crazy awesome animation and does physical damage with basic hit but combos up to magic or frost type damage.  She will also have magic ranged casted debuffs and CC, twitch dodge key and a a drop back escape...  a jump in and out of melee hybrid.   (Lightening Spear based Fury from SB)

I agree and think there's a lot of opportunity here with the promotions that'll lean towards some of the different play-styles a basic Frosty will be set up for.

gCWxS8u.jpg

I haven't seen anything and I'm thinking it's doubtful Frosty will be in the next few introduced archetypes following Ranger.

I think we might see Templar, Forgemaster, and Druid first, but I'm 100% guessing.

Archetypes are being developed in order of most unique features first. So far we have a tank, a mage, melee support and melee dps or bruiser. Next is a mixed role with ranged attack, stealth and utility.

Templar should be last because it is a very basic human combination of knight and confessor, given that the next testable feature they want to demonstrate is destructability, the best archetype for them to do is Duelist, it both completes a new race and has the most to do with terrain manipulation. This may be heavily delayed though depending on when they can get these features working.

Fae has mildly unique elements, but without real flight included in the game, it doesn't have a lot of originality from Ranger stealth, Stalker also shares features of ranger, but it may be implemented sooner in order to test stealth vs detection/hunting interaction.

In the end, we could very well get easily completed archetypes just because they aren't ready to break ground on new features. But the stated objective is to do archetypes with the most original power sets for testing, and fit in the rest which only mix roles and features present in other archetypes later.

Ultimately, it's fairly unimportant, I don't really care what order they're delivered. I'm only interested in the flight they won't produce for Fae, so it's kinda whatever.

Edited by bahamutkaiser

a52d4a0d-044f-44ff-8a10-ccc31bfa2d87.jpg          Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes... Than if they're upset, they'll be a mile away, and barefoot :P