Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
IdeaMatrix

Bee Keeping as a discipline!

Lol the carebears will enjoy it. Maybe we can get knitting too.

I'm gonna laugh when his guild assigns him a production task, this is a crafting economy heavy game...

a52d4a0d-044f-44ff-8a10-ccc31bfa2d87.jpg          Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes... Than if they're upset, they'll be a mile away, and barefoot :P

I'm gonna laugh when his guild assigns him a production task, this is a crafting economy heavy game...

This is a PvP heavy game. If you guys really think all you need is farmers and shepherds you guys are gonna be dead before Fall. Yes, the economy is a big part, but not if you aren't good at combat, or at the very least pay off someone who is. Game of Thrones shows this perfectly when the Hound kills the farmer and takes his money just because he knew he could. Plus for this game, if you're wasting your production on cloths instead of, I don't know, armor? You're probably gonna die quicker than most. I already have a blacksmith ready for swords and armor, but at the same time I have scouts, archers, and people who are gonna focus on combat so we can pillage and loot as much as we produce.

This is a PvP heavy game. If you guys really think all you need is farmers and shepherds you guys are gonna be dead before Fall. Yes, the economy is a big part, but not if you aren't good at combat, or at the very least pay off someone who is. Game of Thrones shows this perfectly when the Hound kills the farmer and takes his money just because he knew he could. Plus for this game, if you're wasting your production on cloths instead of, I don't know, armor? You're probably gonna die quicker than most. I already have a blacksmith ready for swords and armor, but at the same time I have scouts, archers, and people who are gonna focus on combat so we can pillage and loot as much as we produce.

You have a poor understanding of economy. Almost everything that is usable in the game will be produced with crafting. Without crafting this game will be a bunch of angry nerds, slap fighting in a snowy field.

World military wouldn't be very effective if they didn't have weapons to fight with.

You have a poor understanding of economy. Almost everything that is usable in the game will be produced with crafting. Without crafting this game will be a bunch of angry nerds, slap fighting in a snowy field.

World military wouldn't be very effective if they didn't have weapons to fight with.

Yeah but this is sorta what I addressed. Knitting and bee keeping for examples, would have 0 benefit. Do soldiers in siege combat need wool blankets or honey? Sure we might need a weaver for cloth armor, but not "knitting". And contrary to popular belief the economy will go on in it's own time and if you are a hardcore PvPer, may not affect you at all. 

Blacksmiths are going to be essential.

Ranchers are going to be essential (do to hunger).

But a bee keeper is not.

Like I said, "I" already have a signature blacksmith to provide weapon and armor to me, allowing me to focus on PvP. But likewise, if you don't think bandits, armies and other groups plowing through villages looting people won't be a thing, you are gonna be in for a rude awakening.

Do soldiers in siege combat need wool blankets or honey?

Both Hitler and Napoleon regretted not having enough wool blankets.

That said, I really don't get the fascination with bee keeping in games. Unless bees are related to a druid spell, in which case, carry on.

Edited by M0rdred

Both Hitler and Napoleon regretted not having enough wool blankets.

That said, I really don't get the fascination with bee keeping in games. Unless bees are related to a druid spell, in which case, carry on.

lol tell you what, if Artcraft makes Temperature a requirement (which I'm sure they will to some extent), they can make a knitting class dedicated to wool blankets. I already have a design picked out that I think the majority of people who favor this thread might like.

rare_care_bear_fleece_throw_swinging_on_

Knitting and bee keeping for examples, would have 0 benefit.

You can't use knitting as an example; it was your own sarcastic comment. On bee keeping, you can't really say it would have no benefit. We're going to have player made buildings: wax for candles. There's going to be a hunger mechanic: honey is food (or at least an ingredient). Almost anything that has value in a real life economy can potentially have value in an MMO economy. The only thing that affects whether or not it works well with the game is how well it's integrated with the rest.

SR8DSig_Infynis.png

I don't care if it's implemented, but it does seem like a fluffier thing that should not be in anyway a priority. If they really wanna add it, how about after launch, or before if someone isn't doing anything, which is a bad sign for a different reason.

I won't be keeping bees that's for sure.

gCWxS8u.jpg

You can't use knitting as an example; it was your own sarcastic comment. On bee keeping, you can't really say it would have no benefit. We're going to have player made buildings: wax for candles. There's going to be a hunger mechanic: honey is food (or at least an ingredient). Almost anything that has value in a real life economy can potentially have value in an MMO economy. The only thing that affects whether or not it works well with the game is how well it's integrated with the rest.

Or...beehives can be a lootable resource node that gives one or all of those things (rng). Problem solved, although I'm not even sure why this is a thing...

9e58b2ae2f9ac9f2904b5d4c33b609bb92d1a174

"Sharp alone, deadly together."

What is so utterly off-key about this suggestion is not beekeeping itself, but the gross misunderstanding of the design of the game that is evidenced. What the suggester has done is bring into Crowfall an expectation from other games that is entirely alien within the context of this game. He has failed, totally, to consider and apprehend the concepts that ACE is working within.

In many other MMOs, there are behaviors which round out the general feel of the game's experience by providing time-filling, tedious, even menial tasks. Fishing is, perhaps, the most common. These tasks give players low- or zero-intensity activities that keep them in the game, but doing something which requires little or no thought, effort, or skill. In casual MMOs, this a good feature.

But Crowfall is not a casual MMO. Crowfall does not have menial tasks. Crowfall is not about work-a-day behaviors. Crowfall is about subjugating one's enemies in pursuit of total domination. Not victory; domination.

Whether the suggestion is beekeeping, or weeding crops, or managing a theme park, the suggestion is absolutely, irrecoverably, without possibility of merit wrong, because it is entirely out of place in Crowfall. It would be as reasonable to suggest adding beekeeping to League of Legends or Tetris.

I mean, I'm assuming "fluffer" is just another pjorative term for carebears, whales, etc. Of course, I could be incorrect, but I doubt it.

You say that you will not support the idea because the idea in itself is intended to be a time filler but, you've already stated the same thing for EK's and the general economy of the game itself. In your opinion, gathering ore to smelt into ingots to craft armor, weapons or any number of other items is a secondary and unnecessary part of the game.

You've been put on record saying that the worthwhile part of the game can be distilled into the experience you get as a solo player in the dregs.

To you, this game is nothing more than a dregs based "Battle Royal" where your only enjoyment comes from killing other players in increasingly humiliating ways. You seem to want to reduce Crowfall into a short term, 3rd person action combat, survival of the fittest match where you collect all of your items by killing players. In other words, Hamopeche wants this game to be SMITE.

Lets all have a show of hands for how many people want this game to be Hamopeche's new SMITE!

SMITE King Hamopeche

SMITE King Hamopeche

SMITE King Hamopeche

You say that you will not support the idea because the idea in itself is intended to be a time filler but, you've already stated the same thing for EK's and the general economy of the game itself. In your opinion, gathering ore to smelt into ingots to craft armor, weapons or any number of other items is a secondary and unnecessary part of the game.

You've been put on record saying that the worthwhile part of the game can be distilled into the experience you get as a solo player in the dregs.

To you, this game is nothing more than a dregs based "Battle Royal" where your only enjoyment comes from killing other players in increasingly humiliating ways. You seem to want to reduce Crowfall into a short term, 3rd person action combat, survival of the fittest match where you collect all of your items by killing players. In other words, Hamopeche wants this game to be SMITE.

Lets all have a show of hands for how many people want this game to be Hamopeche's new SMITE!

SMITE King Hamopeche

SMITE King Hamopeche

SMITE King Hamopeche

It's unlike me to quote an entire post, but in this case I am responding directly to the entirety of it. You make several claims of what I have said and think. You've even referenced some "record" that I've "gone on". You lie about what I've said, and you make ad hominem attacks.

The reality, however, is rather mundane: I am possessed of a factual, evidential understanding of what this game is purported to be about, and you are not. Beekeeping is not what Crowfall is about.

I mean, I'm assuming "fluffer" is just another pjorative term for carebears, whales, etc. Of course, I could be incorrect, but I doubt it.

Packing on the syllables doesn't make you sound intelligent, it just makes you sound disconnected and pretentious. Bee keeping is no different in theme or structure than any other crafting ability.

As for the "record" if I'm lying about your opinions of the EK's, other rulesets, crafting or other non-dregs/pvp related aspects of the game...why don't you elaborate on how much you love and support them?

I would certainly love to hear about your appreciation of the EK system and potential player economy. I think we'd all love to hear the softer side of Hamopeche.

...lest a stay arrow strike a hive and create a hazard for its own host.

Billykillsemdead sneaks forward without a sound, his bow notched with a poison arrow.  Will he be seen? Not likely with his stealth skills and custom crafted Boots of Shush.  As he approaches the castle wall he keeps covered by the ragged brush, unseen by the sentry on the top of the wall who is busy frowning at a distant roar in the forest.  The wall is rough stone, festooned with vines, animal nests, and the occasional beehive.

Billy aims carefully, angled up to hit just the right spot in the sentry's throat. At the moment he releases the arrow his focus is diverted by a scurrying rodent at his feet and the arrow goes off course RIGHT INTO A BEEHIVE! 

BEEES! AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH!

OK so maybe beekeeping may not relate to combat but it would make a lot of sense as a skill that could impact a wide range of crafts.

Edited by oridi

pixS8Wt.jpg

The Chronicles of Crowfall           The Free Lands of Azure            RIP Doc Gonzo.

Billykillsemdead sneaks forward without a sound, his bow notched with a poison arrow.  Will he be seen? Not likely with his stealth skills and custom crafted Boots of Shush.  As he approaches the castle wall he keeps covered by the ragged brush, unseen by the sentry on the top of the wall who is busy frowning at a distant roar in the forest.  The wall is rough stone, festooned with vines, animal nests, and the occasional beehive.

Billy aims carefully, angled up to hit just the right spot in the sentry's throat. At the moment he releases the arrow his focus is diverted by a scurrying rodent at his feet and the arrow goes off course RIGHT INTO A BEEHIVE! 

BEEES! AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH!

OK so maybe beekeeping may not relate to combat but it would make a lot of sense as a skill that could impact a wide range of crafts.

Heh, bee hive traps.  That would be kind of humorous.

This will probably be my last comment on the thread. After some consideration, I still think overall Bee Keeping seems kinda dumb for Crowfall (walking dead, Eve Online and Game of Thrones aren't known for their "bees") but after a couple of messages from other people I could see some perks to having bees in general. Obviously hitting a bee hive would be an interesting way to die. If your a ranger for example, perhaps you shoot a bee hive down while a group of people are there, then the bees swarm that group while the ranger still remains undetected. In large scale combat, someone mentioned catapulting bee hives. It'd be comical at least to see. Plus I probably could see honey as a perk in some recipes (especially if they are basing any off Game of thrones, everything is drizzled in honey to break-their fasts). Do I think it's the best discipline, no. But do I think Falconry (an actual discipline) is that good either, not really, but to each his/her own.

Yeah but this is sorta what I addressed. Knitting and bee keeping for examples, would have 0 benefit. Do soldiers in siege combat need wool blankets or honey? Sure we might need a weaver for cloth armor, but not "knitting". And contrary to popular belief the economy will go on in it's own time and if you are a hardcore PvPer, may not affect you at all.

Blacksmiths are going to be essential.

Ranchers are going to be essential (do to hunger).

But a bee keeper is not.

Like I said, "I" already have a signature blacksmith to provide weapon and armor to me, allowing me to focus on PvP. But likewise, if you don't think bandits, armies and other groups plowing through villages looting people won't be a thing, you are gonna be in for a rude awakening.

Gonna laugh when he dies from the cold because he couldn't appreciate the weavers ????

a52d4a0d-044f-44ff-8a10-ccc31bfa2d87.jpg          Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes... Than if they're upset, they'll be a mile away, and barefoot :P