• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Crowfall Cosplay "Cawstume" Contest - Official discussion thread

Pann

• Replies 359
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Awesome to see you got around to getting those entries up (especially on the weekend, thanks for doing some OT!!!). Now for yet another unreasonable request: voting time extension!!! (and unicorns)

Might I interest you in a low-interest mortgage?

Now to get friends to understand the concept of liking entry photos.   This is already being a challenge.   :)  I can see that being one of the harder aspects of this contest, plus it being a measure of who has more friends.   :(   We knew what we were getting into when we started though.

I had one friend who already told me he wouldn't vote at all since he thought that the the likes would be a way to track friends back to you and try to market to them in the future.

Now to get friends to understand the concept of liking entry photos.   This is already being a challenge.   :)  I can see that being one of the harder aspects of this contest, plus it being a measure of who has more friends.   :(   We knew what we were getting into when we started though.

I had one friend who already told me he wouldn't vote at all since he thought that the the likes would be a way to track friends back to you and try to market to them in the future.

Yeah, thats right.

This contest is all about PR/advertisement for Crowfall, thats why its been initialized, and thats what it is. So of course the voting is a public one.

A voting here on the forums would have been the only fair method and more appreciated by the community, but then only people with forum access would have been able to vote, and they wouldnt have the social media PR.

So yeah, its unfair, thats what life and society is in real life, poorly.

I dont use facebook or such things. I am free.

After EverQuest Next is gone, its Star Citizen for me.

Valor looks so in character, I hope after taking that photo he did not return home to find out that his wife ran off with his brother.

Deserves a ruby for taking the risks !

Poor girl was very ready for this project to be over....

Creating Arkon:

When I heard about this competition, it was mostly people complaining about it, but the prizes are enticing and I know some folks who could use accounts but are unable to purchase them and I'm sure that if I won, ACE wouldn't mind helping accommodate.  So, I started looking for an archetype that I thought I could fit somewhat naturally, so I went with the god Arkon.  He's tall and thin and well, a he.  So it was a good choice and even though I've never done this sort of thing before, I figured... how hard could it be to form and paint some foam and do some basic fabric cutting/painting?  Right???

Collecting supplies:

I watched a youtube video and made the below list of things to get.  I still somehow managed to miss out on some of it like a soldering iron, which I swear I bought, but must have lost in the store or my car... which reminds me, check there.  I hit up Hobby Lobby on the 19th and Home Depot on the 21st (because, you know I still have a podcast to run every Tuesday at 8:30pm EST twitch.tv/crownsandcrows.

What was convenient is that my needs for cloth were completely filled by the clearance section at hobby lobby.

List of Supplies:

Heat gun, 

foam, 

paint, 

knife, 

ruler, 

soldering 

iron, 

wooden dowel,

silver paint, 

gold paint, 

bronze paint, 

brown paint, 

dark brown paint, 

glue gun/sticks, 

sand paper 50/60 &300+,

Velcro, 

white cloth, 

tan cloth, 

dark cloth, 

grey cloth, 

dark brown gloves.

Building Begins:

Gu0BcVQ.jpg

I started cutting out the foam chest piece and drawing out the brown piece (a long vest I guess you'd call it?).  In the above picture you can see my drawings, though after that and a horrible shape for the pauldrons, I ended up just free-handing the rest. After that, I used the heat gun I borrowed from work to do my first foam shaping... I burnt the chest piece pretty bad and it was shaped horribly(still is) and for it to be truly wearable I'll need to go back and redo it.

The pauldrons were honestly the hardest thing to shape.  I spent an entire night, which I believe was Thursday night, trying to make them and came away with something that somewhat resembled the look I was going for.  Honestly, I'd plan this out a lot more if I did it again, but as this was my first time making anything out of foam... what the hell.  So, from 6pm to almost 11:30pm I screwed around with those before finally taking some Advil and calling it a night.

Friday night I spent another four hours cutting out the arm guards and shaping them and starting to paint everything.  I'll get a photo of the garage, it looks like Banksy threw his trash in there, if you wanted a mental image. With the chestpiece painted green and some weird tan/metalic color, which I honestly can't explain why I got that instead of a more reddish color, I had it set up to dry and started working on the attachments to the front.  I child-proofed 4 exacto blades on cutting foam.  I knicked my fingers a number of times and the blades were dull enough that they wouldn't even draw blood.  One actually I think apologized, it was so dull. (That might have just been fatigue on my part however)

Saturday brought about sanding, reforming, and more sanding.  I had to recreate a few of the smaller items and also I took some time off to get a haircut, watch some football(though we were so bad that I spent more time working), and I stopped working a little earlier which made for a short 3pm to 9pm day.... yeah, I know that's a crazy way to go, but it rained all weekend, so I don't consider it a loss.

Sunday, still raining and even though I was anxious to see how my fantasy team was doing, I got back to work around 11am.  Today I put it all together.  Final touches, painting, sanding some more.  Then I start putting it on and realize that the foam pauldron's were too narrow.  These are already attached to the chestpiece and painted.  Not what I want to start dealing with.  Luckily, heating up foam from the inside doesn't have any real adverse affects on paint, so it worked out ok.

OH THE SWORD! Yeah, so that was a bit of a beast because it had to be proportionate to my height and all of my exacto blades were dull.  After it was carved out and painted, I attached it to a curtain rod with hot glue only to realize that the hilt of the sword wasn't going to cover the entire WHITE metal curtain rod.  So I bring out the hammer and bend it over on itself.  The hilt... well, my advice is never try to carve a sphere out of flat pieces of foam glued to each other.  This is Sunday night by now and I'm so ready to be done that instead of leaving the foam surface of the hilt of the sword, I wrap it in painters tape and spray paint the shizzle out of it. (Still had to paint it again because blue is pretty obvious in a brown sword hilt)

Man, it was probably 9pm before I started painting fabric.  It was all cut out, so I just sat down with some paint brushes and gold/yellowish paint and went to town while watching Bar Rescue and that horrible Monsters Hotel movie with Adam Sandler.  It wasn't horrible... but that's for another story.

Finished up painting fabric and letting that dry.  Around midnight I walk back in from the garage and ask my wife: "Are you ready for this to be over?  Want to just get these photos done?".  She was about as excited as I've seen her since Monday. (go figure)  Now, I had an actual photographer lined up who wanted to shoot some cosplay, but he came down with both the Nora virus and the Flu. Which, it doesn't take a genius to figure out, means he didn't want to shoot cosplay... can't blame him because working with this costume was quite the challenge.

The Photos:

I'll be honest, I had pretty much banked on working with a photographer for the shoot, so I didn't plan a location or lighting.  My wife doesn't really know her way around a DSLR and taking low light shots can be challenging for anyone.  We made it happen though with a high powered LED light and 2 mason jars that I put food dye in water and sealed shut.  Because I only had one flashlight, I taped the two jars together and the light behind them. This still wasn't enough light, so we grabbed every candle we had (she likes candles), and by the time we were done, I felt like I was going to be sacrificed to satan.  STILL not quite enough light, so we got creative with placement of the candles on a shelf and some 5 gallon buckets.  Eventually we just brought in a lamp and hooked it up because we were too tired and we were both struggling to not just rip each other's faces off.

Finished up around 12:30 and I worked until 2am using GIMP2 (never used it before to any real extent) trying to figure out how to crop myself into the original artwork and make it look alright.  Post uploaded to twitter and I called it the end of a very long project.

WFWnFAh.jpg

Anyway, costume is done and the below link are to some outtakes and shows off the costume in normal lighting.  I believe I used 1977 for my submission photo.

http://imgur.com/a/UUkzZ

(Yes, I was wearing pajama pants the whole time)

Archived