Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Pann

Crowfall Cosplay "Cawstume" Contest - Official discussion thread

Yikes, I just heard about this now after I got a txt msg asking what happened. I have been posting Facebook updates about my votes if anyone needs to see a before this happened vote count. I posted an update before I settled down to watch TV for the evening.

My votes should have just came from my Facebook friends and friends of friends. I had a smaller number come from a few guild and mmo/gaming websites I shared the contest info to.

Hopefully it all gets resolved in a fair manner for all.

Yikes, I just heard about this now after I got a txt msg asking what happened. I have been posting Facebook updates about my votes if anyone needs to see a before this happened vote count. I posted an update before I settled down to watch TV for the evening.

My votes should have just came from my Facebook friends and friends of friends. I had a smaller number come from a few guild and mmo/gaming websites I shared the contest info to.

Hopefully it all gets resolved in a fair manner for all.

Same. I got a lot of texts of people who gave legit votes and are trying to understand the increase of 400 likes. They worked pretty hard sharing the link and pestering their friends list to help out. I don't think it would've resulted in getting even in 3rd anyhow, but crappy how it's going down.

but really, this will be won by whoever buys more likes

Please. Change how the winners get picked before it's too late.

If you really need those facebook likes, do something like:

1st place: chosen by the community on the forum (meaning people with at least a 5$ pledge);

2nd place: chosen by ACE employees;

3rd place: chosen by FB likes

You knew this was going to happen. Very disappointed in how this contest was run.

Edited by Fenris DDevil

y9tj8G5.png

You knew this was going to happen. Very disappointed in how this contest was run.

well they got what they wanted...

People promoted their game via facebook. That's what mattered to them.

The fact that the participants and some other people actually cared for the contest itself, seems to have been forgotten or just blatantly disregarded when that decision was made.

Is the contest getting swarmed by bots, or were people just very active while I slept?

I can't tell since some of the entries surging in number DESERVE the votes. 

At this point I sadly don't have confidence in the results and would once again urge Crowfall to vote in house instead of through facebook. 

I'm firmly in the middle of the pack so this won't impact me one way or the other, but it would ensure someone who deserves to wins. 

And interesting trivia, a while ago I read an article about the "benefits" of paying facebook to boost pages or posts. Interestingly it had the opposite effect. The post / page in question would get a surge of likes, but then in the future the page's updates would get less attention. This was caused by the fact that facebook randomly displays the updates to part of the page's followers, not all, so the bots would get the posts rather than the real followers. 

But back on topic, regardless of whether they stick with facebook likes or take it in house, I look forward to hearing who wins! The massive 11th hour surge of votes had added a certain level of excitement to it ;)

And interesting trivia, a while ago I read an article about the "benefits" of paying facebook to boost pages or posts. Interestingly it had the opposite effect. The post / page in question would get a surge of likes, but then in the future the page's updates would get less attention. This was caused by the fact that facebook randomly displays the updates to part of the page's followers, not all, so the bots would get the posts rather than the real followers. 

It also has to do with the page ranking and fan involvement, which go into how much Facebook automatically suggests the page. If you have a bunch of people and none of them appear to give a poorly made socks about your page, you're going to see much growth of it organically.

While this might be true, it isn't the same as liking pictures. Buying Likes to win a contest pays off.

While this whole contest was a marketing tool, I hope the contest will be fair. So far it isn't. It's a lot of money to win and it will only be received negatively by the community if done wrong and when someone wins that doesn't deserve it. Like we said from the beginning, best way to fix this is to judge the pictures in-house by the devs.

ZCcquVD.png

THE most active European Crowfall community. Join us now!

While this might be true, it isn't the same as liking pictures. Buying Likes to win a contest pays off.

While this whole contest was a marketing tool, I hope the contest will be fair. So far it isn't. It's a lot of money to win and it will only be received negatively by the community if done wrong and when someone wins that doesn't deserve it. Like we said from the beginning, best way to fix this is to judge the pictures in-house by the devs.

Sorry if I was unclear, I completely understand buying likes to win a contest can pay off! 

I'm also in the party that it should be resolved by in-house dev voting. I just digressed into trivia because I find it interesting how facebook can be a double-edged sword with respect to advertising. 

To post something positive, I thought I would share some of my process behind making my costume and photo entry.

I've been sewing my own costumes for over 20 years.  I primarily focus on sixteenth century costuming, but have also made several video game related Cosplay costumes.  The first costume contests I entered were at the Dark Age of Camelot Roundtable conventions.

For this costume entry, I decided to limit my scope to something I could finish in a week (though it took me a bit longer due to sewing/fitting fails).  Since I have experience with archery and have the equipment for it, I decided to use the Crowfall female ranger concept art as my inspiration.

I drafted the patterns for both the fitted jacket and pants by modifying patterns I already had on hand.  I had to draft the jacket twice as the first time the sleeves and arm hole area were just not fitting correctly.  My seam ripper was my most used sewing tool during this process.   :(

Once I had a jacket lining that fit comfortably, I cut out the more expensive suede fabric, cut out and made the bias binding, and sewed everything together.  

I copied an existing pair of pants to make the pants out of the same suede fabric that I used for the jacket.

The wig was purchased specifically for this costume and styled into the braids with help.   Other costume bits including the boots are items I already had for other costumes.

The photos were taken in my garage with sheet backdrops. I used GIMP and Picasa for photo editing and watched many Youtube videos before I started. This was my first real attempted at photo editing.

A couple before photos:

22546606061_d70af9a957_b.jpg

22347489260_1b2b7e9746_b.jpg

If you have any questions on my process, let me know!

Edited by gweniver

There's still one entry that hasn't been added to the album! I think there was a lot of effort put in this one.

https://twitter.com/Torenstahl/status/659185164833173504

There stands the winner gets announced today, and this one hasnt even been added yet?!

They really should have made timeframe for handing in pictures and a separate timeframe for voting for them.

This isnt fair.

Edited by Urahara

After EverQuest Next is gone, its Star Citizen for me.