Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Pann

Crowfall Cosplay "Cawstume" Contest - Official discussion thread

There stands the winner gets announced today, and this one hasnt even been added yet?!

They really should have made timeframe for handing in pictures and a seperate timeframe for voting for them.

This isnt fair.

I was posting it just in case that ACE forgot to add the entry to the album.

I think it's fair though, since the announcement clearly stated that we could vote until October 28th. We had about 3 weeks to send the image.

Edited by courant101

I have saved web pages of the like amounts before all this like inflation fiasco happened, I can post it up for you guys to look at when I get home from work in about four hours.

Try to stay positive guys!

I have saved web pages of the like amounts before all this like inflation fiasco happened, I can post it up for you guys to look at when I get home from work in about four hours.

Try to stay positive guys!

A man/woman after my own heart, what a winner.

To post something positive, I thought I would share some of my process behind making my costume and photo entry.

I've been sewing my own costumes for over 20 years.  I primarily focus on sixteenth century costuming, but have also made several video game related Cosplay costumes.  The first costume contests I entered were at the Dark Age of Camelot Roundtable conventions.

For this costume entry, I decided to limit my scope to something I could finish in a week (though it took me a bit longer due to sewing/fitting fails).  Since I have experience with archery and have the equipment for it, I decided to use the Crowfall female ranger concept art as my inspiration.

I drafted the patterns for both the fitted jacket and pants by modifying patterns I already had on hand.  I had to draft the jacket twice as the first time the sleeves and arm hole area were just not fitting correctly.  My seam ripper was my most used sewing tool during this process.   :(

Once I had a jacket lining that fit comfortably, I cut out the more expensive suede fabric, cut out and made the bias binding, and sewed everything together.  

I copied an existing pair of pants to make the pants out of the same suede fabric that I used for the jacket.

The wig was purchased specifically for this costume and styled into the braids with help.   Other costume bits including the boots are items I already had for other costumes.

The photos were taken in my garage with sheet backdrops. I used GIMP and Picasa for photo editing and watched many Youtube videos before I started. This was my first real attempted at photo editing.

A couple before photos:

22546606061_d70af9a957_b.jpg

22347489260_1b2b7e9746_b.jpg

If you have any questions on my process, let me know!

Really nice work and great job on the editing. Especially for a first time edit, you really have a knack for it and should continue.  :D 

24px5oh.jpg

To post something positive, I thought I would share some of my process behind making my costume and photo entry.

I'll follow your lead, lets get this back onto a positive track!

I've been doing costuming for about 10 years. I primarily focus on LARPing garb on the cheap and leathercrafting (not so cheap!)
My specially is combat grade armor, though I work with lighter leather than they would have in the past (or the SCA). 

I largely let Tandy Leather Factory decide what I would do for this contest, I had gone in intending to dress my wife as a druid but none of the greens they had worked. They did have quality garment grade / suede though. I had hoped it would only take a week, but unfortunately I wasn't working from a pattern so it took longer.

Generally speaking, making "clothing quality" leather is a lot harder than armor. Armor is usually about rigidity, and part of that is simplicity. Clothes have to fit well and that means curves and random angles. Seeing what was there, and taking into account my own appearance, the male confessor seemed the best choice. In hindsight I think it looks a bit too Assassin's Creed-ish, but I am very pleased with how it came out.

I decided I would make a leather vest and then use a standard tunic pattern for the shirt (using felt for warmth). The next step was a day of cutting posterboard as I used trial and error to figure out the proper lay of the vest material. Posterboard is cheap and simulates some of the rigidity of leather. Its a bit too stiff, and tends to result in papercuts, but overall its the most practical choice (especially since it is easy to mark up and recycle-able). The shirt, on the other hand, was easy since it was just trace and sew. 

The next few days were filled with sewing and taking breaks from sewing to make the various other props. The hood was particularly tricky because I didn't have enough material to use an existing pattern and had to reverse engineer the hood on my jacket. 

Leather bracers are a breeze, I have made so many pairs that I can do it in my sleep. Again you trade the pattern in posterboard, then you cut and assemble. The best part of bracers is you can rivet them which makes assembly a snap. I was REALLY happy how well the gold paint took to them for the detailing and the plastic gems glues on easily. 

The book strap was another standard pattern, though that took longer than intended as my snaps warped forcing me to remove them and replace them with a clasp. 

One of the hardest parts was looking up local blade ordinances to make sure I wouldn't get arrested when I went to a public park for the photo shoot. The police like to speedtrap there. ;) Fortunately a LARP was running there at the same time so I blended right in (even though I had live steel). 

I can post some closeup photos later, but for now here is my deviant art album. 
I'll likely add more pictures from the shoot later.

I've been doing costuming for about 10 years. I primarily focus on LARPing garb on the cheap and leathercrafting (not so cheap!)

My specially is combat grade armor, though I work with lighter leather than they would have in the past (or the SCA). 

Are you currently in the SCA?  I'm in the Kingdom of Northshield.  :)

Are you currently in the SCA?  I'm in the Kingdom of Northshield.   :)

I'm just friends with a lot of members, not officially a member myself. 

I think they are in Darostur / Lochleven, but I can't actually find information on them at the SCA site... Its part of the East Kingdom.

I'll follow your lead, lets get this back onto a positive track!

I largely let Tandy Leather Factory decide what I would do for this contest, I had gone in intending to dress my wife as a druid but none of the greens they had worked. They did have quality garment grade / suede though. I had hoped it would only take a week, but unfortunately I wasn't working from a pattern so it took longer.

Generally speaking, making "clothing quality" leather is a lot harder than armor. Armor is usually about rigidity, and part of that is simplicity. Clothes have to fit well and that means curves and random angles. Seeing what was there, and taking into account my own appearance, the male confessor seemed the best choice. In hindsight I think it looks a bit too Assassin's Creed-ish, but I am very pleased with how it came out.
I can post some closeup photos later, but for now here is my deviant art album. 
I'll likely add more pictures from the shoot later.

Making armor with specific contours and also fits your body is a PITA... I spent a solid 6 hours trying to learn and make my shoulder pieces and they still ended up being a "best I can do without melting all my foam into a ball and delivering it to ACE".  For a first time costume maker.... I have mad respect for folks who can do this and do it well.

Ok, since the contest is "over" I figured I'd go into a "the making of" just like everyone else.

Items:

20151028_145539.jpg

1. Fur. It was my gf's faux fur lined jacket. Just wrapped it up where you couldn't see the pink.

2. Bow and arrows. They were $1 at Dollar tree....

3. Breastplate, also a $1.

4. Gauntlets, also a $1.

5. The blue golf club holder was used since we didn't have a quiver. Fur hid it, so no big deal.

6. The "kilt" (not pictured) was actually a pair of my shorts. He's 3, so he fit into one leg.

7. Belt (not pictured). Just one of my belts to show the buckle.

IMG_4847.jpg

And this is before photo editing. GF used her phone app to apply filters. Then I took the photo and lassoed out the image with Paint.net. Fenris and Mal in slack helped me with blending the background that I had cut the original ranger out of. There it is.

Making armor with specific contours and also fits your body is a PITA... I spent a solid 6 hours trying to learn and make my shoulder pieces and they still ended up being a "best I can do without melting all my foam into a ball and delivering it to ACE".  For a first time costume maker.... I have mad respect for folks who can do this and do it well.

I ended up having much more luck using something like Wonderflex or Worbla with a thin foam base for shoulder pieces.    My first attempts for a different costume used only foam.  For my second attempt I used Wonderflex and the result was much nicer with less headaches.

Ok, since the contest is "over" I figured I'd go into a "the making of" just like everyone else.

Items:

20151028_145539.jpg

1. Fur. It was my gf's cat that died and we skinned in and had it's coat lying around.

2. Bow and arrows. They were $1 at Dollar tree....

3. Breastplate, also a $1.

4. Gauntlets, also a $1.

5. The blue golf club holder was used since we didn't have a quiver. Fur hid it, so no big deal.

6. The "kilt" (not pictured) was actually a pair of my shorts. He's 3, so he fit into one leg.

7. Belt (not pictured). Just one of my belts to show the buckle.

And this is before photo editing. GF used her phone app to apply filters. Then I took the photo and lassoed out the image with Paint.net. Fenris and Mal in slack helped me with blending the background that I had cut the original ranger out of. There it is.

OH MY GOD HEADLIGHT!  You skinned your gf's dead cat and kept the coat?  Then put your kid in it?

Dude.... not cool

When I saw skarthy's punch bowl cut in half shoulders I was like damn that's a good idea.

KRIPTIKserratedv3_zps4ptlmh6o.gif