Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
seventhbeacon

Age Of Conan

I was just reminiscing about a game I had high hopes for: Age of Conan.  I loved the comics and short stories (not so much the Ahnold movies, and don't even speak of that abomination starring Khal Drogo), and that game sounded amazing.

It came out.  It was different, it was fun, and then I realized just how lean the game was.  They also nerfed nipples.  Like wtf that's kind of a selling point in a game that's weak elsewhere ;).  But I'm curious, has anyone played it in the last year or so, and did you like it?  Anyone that can compare what it is now to what it was at launch?

"Darken the moon and conceal the stars; our Light will never be extinguished." - The Tome of the First Flame

LW_sig_concept_7b_lighter_zpsu0zpsinn.jp

The Lantern Watch - A Crowfall-first guild. Welcome Home. Join us @ http://crowfall.shivtr.com

I remember in 2006 or 2007 when everyone in SB was saying AoC was gonna finally kill Shadowbane.

You are so incredibly helpful, CYT. I don't know how I ever managed to do anything before we met. I was just bumbling my way through life, all lost-like. Thank you. My blessing cup runneth over.

SWrkfdj.jpg

I remember there was a particularly amusing bit of griefing.  Someone would mount a horse, park on a narrow bridge, and kick people off as they tried to cross.

Ah, I love youtube.  http://youtu.be/s-rl3RPC_Mw

"Darken the moon and conceal the stars; our Light will never be extinguished." - The Tome of the First Flame

The Lantern Watch - A Crowfall-first guild. Welcome Home. Join us @ http://crowfall.shivtr.com

I really wanted to like this game, but I've got a problem with games that have "channels". It just kills any game for me for some reason when I've gotta jump to another channel to see a friend or guild in the same zone... 

many times we would take a area and expect ppl to pvp back and take the zone back....instead they just went to zone 2 and carebear'd it up.

disappointing on many lvls

Know me and fear me. My embrace is for all and is patient but sure. The dead can always find you. My hand is everywhere - there is no door I cannot pass, nor guardian who can withstand me.

694a6f04-03a1-4af3-8e11-ddd1baa87348.jpg

I played this at launch and was really excited for it but it didn't end up working out for me. 

Same here. I think my download took longer than the actual time that I spent in game. Playing on a potato didn't help much either though

Such is a fate of a game that had such rich promise for lore and violence.  It still makes me sad, but I have my many volumes of "Savage Sword of Conan" and the three collected volumes of short stories to scratch that itch, I guess.

The combat and classes were actually pretty decent, but the game itself was poorly made socks.

The animations when dealing final blows were fantastic as well; I hope something like that is implemented in Crowfall, though obviously that should be a very low priority.

I liked Age of Conan.  The story telling was really good.  I'm one who normally just ignores and tabs through the quest conversations.

That said, one thing I absolutely hated was that all the classes were tied to specific weapons..  My ranger had a choice:  Bow or Crossbow. 

Having come from Shadowbane,,, that was a really poor adjustment.

* I prefer being able to choose my weapons and armor, but each choice being a trade off of another.

Then again,  those "Fatality" moves were awesome!  How many times did somebody electrify me--  burned and sizzled to a crisp in front of my very eyes... lol

Unfortunately, I tried to return and play again,  and it was just horrible ... you just cannot go back in time... 

AoC was amazing and we rolled on Deathwhisper with a lot of the guilds who are now here and a few that have broken up (pours one out for the fallen guilds).  Sinister, PRX, DDH, Goons, HARM, LoD I think tried to make a run at it on that server.  We ended up with either a World First or US First T3 battlekeep and the first successful siege defense.  We would have had the first successful siege, but they never put in the "win" mechanic, so we just leveled a few keeps, took some screen shots and then handed what was left of the guild over to some of the new guys to run until they got bored and quit as well.

The game was great for the first week, but then we quickly realized that they had, in fact, not finished ANY aspect of the game.  There were gaps where there were no quests.  THere were gaps where there were no mobs.  Keeps and sieges were never finished.

The game simply wasn't ready and they launched it after CONFIRMING that all of that content was in game and operational.  After that disaster, I've sworn off any Failcom game from here on out.  It also should serve as a warning to companies to never announce a game before it is ready because that will kill your subs faster than delaying your launch 6 months.

Edited by valor

This is actually a game i played at release and had a good time with.. was also a beautiful game when it came out.. i played a bearshaman on Wildsoul (EU)

This is actually a game i played at release and had a good time with.. was also a beautiful game when it came out.. i played a bearshaman on Wildsoul (EU)

Same!  I can't remember what I played, I didn't stick with the game for more than a month or so, friends got sick of it :/ As is so often the case, hehe.

AoC is a good example of a game that looked appealing and fun on the face of it, but you quickly realized how unfinished it was once you started maxing out. The game world was very incomplete, and the siege system was haphazardly put together.

It did have lots of cool features though, and it looked very nice. Any game that

is worth a shot at least. Edited by Zarithas

AoC was really my second love after SB. I played it for about three years on Cimmeria and some other server. It could get somewhat political because of sieges (even though they worked almost never). The music in that game is pretty much what got me hooked from the start and the scenery. I started out as a cim barb, and when I entered the valley down to conarch's village with the music playing, I was pretty much hooked. I've always had a soft spot for AoC, and have tried to return many times (the graphics are still good by today's standard imo), but it's just so dead. Funcom ruined what could have been a fantastic game. 

Played a bear shaman and assaulted people.

Got boring.

Bear Shaman OP!

I did play an enjoy AoC quite a bit, nerded it out big time and was one of the first assassins on the server to hit max. Also dominated Fury pretty hard with MEH, had some good fights against RUS Corp.

Member of The BlackHand Order